Playstation 80 GIG Discontinued?

Scarlet

*wobbles*
Veteran
Gil
I decided to buy a PS3 today and went to a couple of stores. They were out of stock and only had the shitty 40gigs. An emplyoee at Gamestop informed me that the 80GIG has been out of stock for two months and they've haven't gotten any shipment since. Also, they said that Sony will be re-releasing the 80GIG PS3s in June.

Has anyone been informed of this? I haven't been keeping up with Sony news. There will be a steel PS3 coming out in Japan with MS4. I'm not sure if that model will be out in the US or not. Not even sure if that model will have backwards compatibility. =/

So...no Kitten? D:

And, I think they're still doing the 80GB, since I heard that they're getting released over here in Summer, while the 60GB one got discontinued D:

I haven't heard anything, to be honest. In my local Gamestop, last I checked (which was last week), they were still selling the 80 GB. That is not to say that they won't have some in stock once they are all sold in my Gamestop though. I'll have to check with them when I visit again.

So...no Kitten? D:

And, I think they're still doing the 80GB, since I heard that they're getting released over here in Summer, while the 60GB one got discontinued D:

Nah, I'm looking around still. I want to get the right kitten, not rush it. >_>

It seems that the 80 GIG has been discontinued. I search around online, Sony didn't announce it though, which is really annoying! >=/ Most sites are selling the 40gig, blah. If the MGS4 PS3 comes out in American I'll probably reserve it.

Well I know Best Buy has discontinued it, but I can't find any information saying if it's all US retailers or if it will be permanent. Either way, Sony sure as hell don't know how to market their crappy product. First they lie about the Sixaxis and make the console too expensive, then they discontinue the 60 gig so that limits people further, now they're taking away the only one with backwards compatibility. Even if it's not permanent, it's still going to hurt them both in sales and publicity.

I'd probably be mad if I had even the slightest interest in the PS3, but since I view it to be the biggest waste of money in gaming, I find it hilarious.

Ive talked to my friend about buying a PS3, but from what Ive heard only the 80gigs have full backwards compatibility. And if they're re-releasing the 80gig does that mean that backwards compatibility is not available at the moment the PS3?

Yeah, the PS3 80 gig has been discontinued for now. In June though, there are going to sell a bundle the 80 gigs with MGS4 in it. Yes, it is for the whole world, and it is not only for Japan. I would buy that but I already have a PS3 and already pre-ordered MGS4.

I don't think 80GB is needed anyway, I've had mine for a year and only down to 48GB...and thats only because of the updates they released. Apparently though, the 60GB has things that both the 40GB/80GB don't have o_O

Actually, the 60 GB has full backwards compability, and not the 80 GB. The 80 GB has an emulator to play PS2 games but not all PS2 games will be playable in the 80 GB, so the 60 is kind of better.

Yeah, I ran out and bought a 60 GB last Christmas before they disappeared from the face of the Earth forever. I had a really old disc-read-error prone PS2, so I had to get a PS3 with full backward compatibility if I ever wanted to play my PS2 games again with any regularity. I love my PS3 - it's pretty, it's quiet, the online service is free and Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming out in June. No complaints yet, except that Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 doesn't seem to recognize the Sixaxis.

I heard that when Sony re-releases the 80 GB it won't be backward compatible at all, but you know how Internet rumors are.

Actually, the 60 GB has full backwards compability, and not the 80 GB. The 80 GB has an emulator to play PS2 games but not all PS2 games will be playable in the 80 GB, so the 60 is kind of better.
Yeah; someway the 60gb ended been the best PS3 SKU right now. Enough HDD space, full BW compatibilty and all those "premium" stuff (4-USB ports, Card readers) which have.

Try searching on Ebay for a 60Gb PS3, i've see ones there; maybe you can be lucky and get one >_<

The 60GB will be discontinued when stock is sold out so you better hurry with that unless you aim to buy it off of eBay. Most places just seem to deal with the 40GB by the looks of it.

GAME still have a 60GB deal going on online with 4 games for £400.

Back