Best spot/way to level up?

Uncle Ben

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
This is my first post here :) After talking with a guy at work about FFXIII, I got the ambition to pull this classic out and wipe off the dust. It's been almost 5 years since I played it, and I found that I had a save state at level 78, a green chocobo, and pretty much everybodie's ultimate weapon. I immediately got online to find out how to get the gold chocobo, since I had no recollection at all of how to breed correctly, much less so many other things that I forgot over this time.

Right now I am in the process of leveling up, since I still get absolutely pwnt by the Ruby weapon. What I found was to equip Cloud with the Apocalypse(for triple materia growth), attack all materia(can't remember the actual name), sprint shoes, somebody with the pre-emptive materia, somebody with the gil-up materia, and somebody with the exp-up materia. Basically, as I'm sure some of you figured out, about 80% of the time Cloud gets in the first attack and takes out everything, making the battles as short as they can possibly be. Doing this in the Mideel forest(the groups of 3-4 rollie pollies and green bugs = nice experience) for a little over an hour, resulted in leveling everybody up from 80 to 85 or 86, gained 600,000 gil, and mastered lots of low-mid level materia.

Does anybody have any better ideas to level up? I am getting near the end of the road, and might be at 99 by the time I check back in here, but maybe we could get a leveling strategy guide going for the guys without turbo controllers :P

That's actually one of the best end-game level up areas to prepare for the weapons. :)

For the middle of the game, around level 30, one of the best places I found was in Junon. In the road/tunnel where the troops are practicing, have Cloud pull the alarm so he will be attacked. Be very careful at low levels here, but it took me about a day to go from 30 to 55 with each character (a day being eight hours) and I mastered quite a bit of materia in this way.

Sephiroths Cave is probably the best. You can fight monsters that can give you 16,000 exp points and 2000 AP

I always used Mideel when levelling up at the end. Even when I had all the characters at level 99 I couldn't beat Ruby though. By the time I had everyone at 99 I'd run out of the necessary energy to work out my tactics. I'd just had enough, period.

I've always found Sephiroth's cave to be the best. Magic pots made leveling up my materia a breeze especially with the Apocalypse equipped. Also the baddies in there gave insane amounts of XP.

The swampy area in northern crater is the best place for me.
It had the movers which gave huge ap boosts for your materia and the magic pots which gave loads of exp and ap
If you do the w-item trick with elixir then you'll be getting to lv 99 in no time

Sephiroth's cave is by far the best, I farmed all my materia there and my characters levels jumped like crazy. It gets tedious, but the reward is well worth it :).

A pretty good place to level up is the Gelnika Plane! If you keep fighting in the area you fought Rude and Reno you´ll run into easy monsters who give about 4000exp and a decent amount of AP as well!

Oh yeah the sunken plane was good because you also get stat boosting items from the enemies

I know its been said, but the crater deffinatly rapes all in terms of EXP and AP. Theres this one place there (I really dont know where it is, havent played in like a year) where you can give the magic pots elixers, and fight these weird egg things that both give a ton of exp and ap.

Oh, and welcome to FFF!

Last edited:
But you can't escape from the Crater, as far as I know. Those Tonberrys are a pain in the ass as they always go for Cloud first and kill him. There are plenty of intriguing monsters here, but for leveling up efficiency, I believe Mideel is a little quicker.

Back