Does the path stay linear?

KittySama

Gil
I have been playing Final Fantasy XIII and I think the main thing that bugs me is how the path is pretty much... a line. Is it true it opens up later on and stops being such a straight path?

I guess a lack of a world map isn't that big of a deal to me, but I was expecting something more like Final Fantasy X without any towns.

It is pretty much just linear right to the end tbh

I wish i could add more to that, but well... until chapter er...10? thats pretty much it, and even then its not exactly like youve juist opened up a mass of side quests

It doesn't really open up.

There's only one genuinely expansive area in the game later on, but you'll always be funnelled down narrow maps until the very end of the game. You do get to choose your party and create additional paradigms and roles for characters but that's not saying much. The game's a very linear experience from beginning to end.

Nope it really does not unless you count Nautilus as a town in chapter VIII. Or gran pulse in Chapter XI. But yeah the game is very linear.. You cant backtrack anywhere except for Gran pulse and Eden. So yeah by the end you are pretty much only abe to visit 3 places. Once you cross the final place in chapter XIII the path never comes back. So no it doesnt really stop being linear. You are pretty much a group running away from the enemy all the time so you dont have time to do other things..

The path is yeah...a pretty straight line. For me, that's a good thing, because I always got lost and never knew where I was supposed to go, but in this one it kinda bugged me that I couldn't go to other places =( The only time it really expands is in Chapter 11. There are heaps of side missions and stuff there, and apparently you get to ride chocobos too, but I never did that coz I wanted to get on with the story =) Overall though, yep, fairly straight line to the end =)

And this has been a prominent criticism of the game; the sheer fact that it's a very linear affair. I don't really want to spoil it for you, but even when the game "opens up" it's still rather underwhelming as it didn't quite turn out to be what I hoped it would be. The linearity, while not essentially the main reason why I don't like FFXIII, does strip the game bare to just running through corridors with beautiful wallpaper.

Well since your still playing the game,I'd say just enjoy the story (even though at times it may be complicated) and gorgeous visuals rather than the gameplay and narrow pathways........Thats what made me enjoy this game. When you do reach gran pulse you can chill out and relax but do nothing other than sidequests...........

There's minimal truth about the game opening up at any point, I think people compare the first half of the game with the second half and presume it "opens up" but it really doesn't. The only open part of the game is the massive field on Gran Pulse which has linear paths off it anyway. Really, the only truth about it opening up is that in the second half of the game you're not forced to go certain ways.

Damnm im the same boat, ive played like 30hrs now..and its the SAME thing..its not even a RPG! :/

So far im pretty disappointed in the game..but pushing on to finish it!

it opens up in later chapters..... to a big circular linear paddock full of monsters... you can't really go anywhere new... just instead of it being a long corridor its a big round circle area....

Back