Final Fantasy XIII Sells for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
Troubled blockbuster corridor marathon Final Fantasy XIII is now the subject of humiliating ¥1,980 sales, whilst its sales figures have dropped to record lows.

The sale in question, for new copies of the game:

ff13-sale.png

Presumably the store in question found itself completely unable to shift its stock.

Second-hand, as reported the game is now being bought by stores for ¥1,500-2,500, although some stores are apparently no longer willing to buy.

Second-hand stores are routinely offering the game for as little as ¥3,500.
More ominously, the sales figures for Final Fantasy XIII, whilst initially healthy enough, have plummeted to levels far lower than previous titles in the series.

(Columns: weeks 1-8, total sales, percentage of sales concentrated in week 1)

ff13-sales.png

Source: Sankaku Complex

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, talk about a low blow o_O

But still, a bunch of copies were sold in the first week alone, so maybe everyone who was interested in FFXIII probably bought it by now? xD

That's what we were thinking. After all, you can only sell so much before everyone already has a copy. :mokken:

Holy hell. @_@
Makes me consider cancelling my pre-order and waiting to see if the same thing will happen over here!

I don't think it tells the whole story though, Final Fantasy XIII has sold what, nearly 2 million copies in Japan, I wouldn't really say it's been failing. Considering the number of PS3s over there are just over 4.5 million, nearly half of all PS3 owners in Japan own the game. Even then, when you seen screenshots of Japanese PS3s they all own like 4/5 special edition PS3s :wacky:

If it was around £25 over here it wouldn't surprise me since that was what Modern Warfare 2 went for in Tesco and it sold stupidly well because it was cheap. It may be a marketing strategy. :ryan:

That would be nice :gonk: Saves me money which means I can spend it on other games xD. As said above, there's only so many FF fans and i'm sure the fans already own a copy of their own and that's why sales have been 'dropping'

Final Fantasy XIII Prices Dropping in Japan [2/12]

Final-Fantasy-13-FFXIII-Price-Drop.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII has only been out in Japan for a little under two months, but prices for the game have been dropping drastically. The game released at 9,240 yen (~$103 USD), but can now be found on the cheap at retailers like Sofmap in the Akihabara district in Tokyo. They are selling the game brand new at 3,980 yen (~$44 USD) for a limited time.

You might think that they are dumping copies because the game wasn’t selling well, but that isn’t the case; the game sold over 1.5 million copies in Japan during its first week. The sales are most likely because retailers misjudged initial demand, so they simply have too many copies on hand. It could also be that most of the people that planned on buying the game went ahead and purchased it during the first weeks of availability.

Final Fantasy XIII arrives on US store shelves March 9, 2010.

Source: Kotaku

<!-- Adsense 250x250 Code -->

I'm gonna go ahead and merge these, since they're basically the same story.

[Threads Merged]

I'm tempted to not buy it yet and see if I can get it cheaper after its been out a while over here :wacky:

I want the game, but I can't say I'm all that fussed about having it there and then the second it's released.

Though, I do like the look of the collectors edition ive been eyeballing it, though its unecessary and expensive.... i only want it for the sake of it

I'm tempted to not buy it yet and see if I can get it cheaper after its been out a while over here :wacky:

I want the game, but I can't say I'm all that fussed about having it there and then the second it's released.

Though, I do like the look of the collectors edition ive been eyeballing it, though its unecessary and expensive.... i only want it for the sake of it
Try Tesco's when it comes out, sometimes if they know a game will sell well they'll make it cheaper so they sell more copies. Don't go to GAME though, it'll be £40/£50 until the NEXT Final Fantasy comes out D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back