First Major Western Review of Final Fantasy XIII [JP Version]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Just the sum of its parts...

The following review was written by fluent Japanese-speaking veteran games journalist Ryan Winterhalter. So firstly, if you're thinking of importing a copy, in his words, here's what you need to consider:

74.jpg

We remember the first time we had doubts that Final Fantasy XIII was not going to live up to its heritage. Speaking with a Square Enix artist who was proudly showing off her portfolio, we asked her if she was just as proud of her work on FFXIII. “Of course,” she said. So we asked what she’d been working on that day. She paused, “A rock. I’ve been working on a single rock that appears in only one scene, for three seconds, for the past three days.”

Before we could ask whether this was standard operating procedure, another Square Enix employee chimed in, “That’s how that team works, everybody spends a lot of their days polishing rocks.”

This is what Final Fantasy XIII, as a whole, feels like – a bunch of highly polished rocks. Individual aspects of the game are as deep and finely tuned as any other JRPG. However, without an equally refined structure to frame those deep mechanics, the game collapses into a very sharp and precise pile of rubble.

The game’s story highlights this problem. While individual aspects work well and give motivation to keep playing, other aspects fall flat. The heroes of the story, from the serious protagonist, Lightning, to the loveable yet dumb male lead, Snow, are entertaining to watch and to play as. At the same time, the game fails to provide worthy foils for these characters. The enemies of the game are unsuccessful in invoking any of the strong emotions that previous antagonists in the Final Fantasy canon, like Kefka or Sephiroth, have.

The one area of the game that does not suffer from this unfortunate dichotomy is the combat system, which builds upon the work laid down in more recent entries to the series. At the heart of this system is the familiar-sounding active time battle (ATB). The ATB system has played a role in every main line Final Fantasy game since the fourth instalment, save Final Fantasy X. However, the familiar name belies a radical departure from the traditions of the series.

Each character has an ATB meter that fills with time. It is divided into a number of sections depending on how far that character has levelled up. Players queue up actions before the meter is full, and each action will require a certain number of full ATB sections to carry out. For example, attack and simple magic spells like Cure cost one section, whereas more powerful spells like Esuna or Raise require two or more sections. The power of magic is balanced out by its ATB cost. There is no MP to worry about.

The game’s battle mechanics are heavily influenced by Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy X-2. Similar to FFXII, players only control one character at a time. However, instead of manually programming party member AI, players can select the partner’s class or ‘optima’ (to be called ‘paradigm’ in the English localised versions) in the middle of a fight. The player character’s optima can also be changed on the fly. This changing of class mid-battle, as well as the fast-paced nature of the combat, is borrowed directly from FFX-2.

Switching optima takes only a few seconds and success in battle depends on optima changing in order to keep enemies under a constant assault of attacks. By switching optima and attacking in turn (as opposed to simultaneously) with AI party members, it’s possible to combo attacks and even air juggle enemies. The higher the combo, the more the ‘break’ meter on the targeted enemy will rise. Once the meter is filled, the enemy ‘breaks’ and will take extra damage for a period of time. Certain enemies will also change their appearance, attacks and behaviours once broken.

Once the battle is over, the player’s performance in battle is rated from one to five stars. This feedback is essential, because after the first few hours of the game, unless the player has learned how to get five stars consistently, the game over screen will become an unwelcome and common sight. Thankfully, players are no longer deposited back at their last save when they die. Instead, they find themselves where they were just before the battle. Even after losing a boss fight, the game offers access to the character customisation screens before tackling it again. Combined with the fact that player health is restored after every battle, this may give the impression that the game is easy. However, FFXIII uses its kindness in these areas to buy patience from the player in order to punish them severely at the first misstep in battle. It’s a trade-off that should satisfy those who enjoy more challenging games without frustrating those who loathe treading through the same territory again and again, only to fail.

Success in battle will also refill valuable Tech Points (TP). TP are used for more powerful or frequently used spells like Quake or Libra. They can also call forth Eidolons, FFXIII’s version of the traditional Final Fantasy summon spells. Each character earns their own Eidolon during the course of the game. Once obtained, they can be called upon and replace the AI partners in the party. The summons in FFXIII also have one ability that their predecessors lacked. At any time, the player can hit the //S// button and enter ‘drive mode’ where the Eidolon will transform into a vehicle, or some other machine or structure. Once transformed, players can command the Eidolon and its driver to attack the enemy for a short period of time.

In previous Final Fantasy games, the summoned monsters and their over-the-top animations displayed the best visuals of each game. That’s not quite true in FFXIII. While the summons do look amazing, the art design and animation is so detailed and intricate that, for once, summons will probably be overlooked in forum discussions about the best eye candy in the game. Everything, from the way the characters animate to their intricate costumes, is a joy to behold.

Ironically, it’s the same attention to detail in the game’s environments that works to its detriment. Each area of the game features exquisitely detailed architecture and structural design. However, this fidelity just highlights the fact that the places the characters of FFXIII inhabit are merely contrived, linear Skinner Boxes for players to navigate. At one point in the game, two of the main characters visit a theme park. It’s obvious that each shrub and wall in the place has been designed with great care, but it doesn't feel like a real place. Playing the game is like navigating characters through a movie set – the store fronts and street signs are all there, but there’s nothing behind them. When contrasted with the Gold Saucer theme park from Final Fantasy VII, with its mini-games, the area feels even more flat and lifeless.

Ultimately, the rest of the game suffers from similar problems. The characters are engaging and interesting, but the scenarios they’re placed in fail to engage the player. The environments are beautiful and detailed, but this art feels like little more than wallpaper thrown over a tunnel that players walk through. It’s clear that Square Enix has some of the most talented artists and designers in the industry working for it. Where this game stumbles, where other Final Fantasy games succeeded, was in taking the talents of these people and synthesising them into a single whole that’s greater than the sum of its parts.

Final Verdict
A game that never comes together properly. However, the certain individual aspects of the game and its battle system are of such high quality that it’s still engaging and fun to play... most of the time. 7.9/10

Source: Now Gamer

Great. Looks like I won't by this game. I need a better score than a 7.9 to grab my attention.

I really wanted to like this game. But looks like it's all looks and no touching storyline.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. Individual aspects are great, but couldn't quite come together. I guess that could make one's eye irk a bit.

I'm still buying the game, because I often found that games people aren't all too enthused or fond of, I absolutely love :hmmm:

And face it, there's not a lot of JRPGS on the PS3. I'm still hopeful for FFXIII, but I'll take what I can get :monster:

7.9 isn't bad. An almost 8/10 score is a pretty good one still in my opinion.
Yea, I know. But I'm also combining that with other information and it isn't lookin' too good. I'll still probably rent the game, hoping this guy's wrong. But I def won'r buy it yet.

Meh, to me reviews are a rough guideline for when I'm deciding whether to buy a game or not, I've always had the intention of buying Final Fantasy XIII, from what I've seen I've loved so I'll make my mind up about it myself. Plus, whilst it probably is the most reliable review thus far, I refuse to take in reviewers comments on a massively anticipated RPG when under their profile it says:

Speciality

Beat-'em-up

:ffs:

Meh, to me reviews are a rough guideline for when I'm deciding whether to buy a game or not, I've always had the intention of buying Final Fantasy XIII, from what I've seen I've loved so I'll make my mind up about it myself. Plus, whilst it probably is the most reliable review thus far, I refuse to take in reviewers comments on a massively anticipated RPG when under their profile it says:

Speciality

Beat-'em-up

:ffs:
Whilst I agree that you should always formulate your own judgement on a game, and that I'll still get FFXIII, it sounds like he is right.
Visually stunning, but very little substance, which was the problem with FFXII.
I think there's a risk of wanting the game to be great so ignoring all views to the contrary. I think what he has said sounds reasonable and probable, however I'd not like to judge a game I haven't played.

I do disagree with this score, because mainly the reviewer was biased. You cant really compare this game to other FF games becuase so much of it was remade. The battle system, the summone system, etc.

I feel that for essentially trying to reinvent the way the game is played, and succeeding, the score should be higher, say an 8.5-9/10.

That review scares me D:

It makes the game sound kind of boring. I of course, still plan to get the game whenever I can, although I dont want it as bad as I did anymore. This review has dimmed the light of hope I had for the game :sad3:

You can't ever take some fool's opinion to heart... I'm feelin' to get at it & jugde it for myself.

This could be a problem. I want to see what other reviewers say, but so far the response has been pretty negative (considering the expectations) from what I've seen. Even FFXII got pretty good reviews (92 on Metacritic), and that's considered one of the worst games in the series.

I'll wait for more input, because there is often an outlier when it comes to these things. However, the few things I have heard about this game have not been good.

Because he's trashing a numbered game of our precious series. No matter how bad the game actually is, you can't expect us, Final Fantasy die-hard fans, to agree with him. It's just not possible to get past our bias.

So insulting the poor guy and calling him a fool is okay? I happen to agree with the guy that reviewed the game. However, I'm not going to go out of my way bash anyone that disagrees.

Everyone has their own opinion. No need to bash people for not agreeing with you. From what you're stating you might as well call the fanbase a cult. (Kidding by the way.)

I'm half kidding, but really it's true that we won't agree with him because of our love for Final Fantasy. I haven't insulted him at all, and I don't think that's okay. I can't say whether I honestly believe him or not, since i haven't played the game. Once I do, I'll give an honest assessment.

So insulting the poor guy and calling him a fool is okay? I happen to agree with the guy that reviewed the game. However, I'm not going to go out of my way bash anyone that disagrees.

Everyone has their own opinion. No need to bash people for not agreeing with you. From what you're stating you might as well call the fanbase a cult. (Kidding by the way.)

I DISAGREE WITH YOU! :rage: *BASH BASH BASH*

No seriously though. I'm not actually going to even bother reading this because for one :tl;dr: and for two, I really want to play the game for myself and judge it for myself. I just don't see why it's absolutely necessary to judge the game based off of other people's reviews on it. I mean for all you know, you may end up loving it and right now you've read bad stuff about it and so you automatically think you'll hate it (and no Tsuki I'm not referring to YOU. xD I'm referring to anybody who's complained about it without playing it really...) So honestly, why not give it a chance? You may end up loving it. I just don't let people who give bad reviews ruin something for me, is all.

I will fucking stab the reviewer!!! Im not listening to it and im not reading it!!! XIII will be my favorite game and I have been waiting a lonhggggg time for this to come out. Oh and you know what the reviewer can go fuck himself xD Its gonna be awesome!!! MARCH 9TH 2010!!!!

I was going to inset a witty comment, but I'm now concerned that I may have my head bitten off.

Although, I respectfully disagree with you...

OH SHI-! RUNNNN!!!

^ See what I mean, Tsukianei?

XD It's all in good fun though. I love you guys. :D

I don't think any of the reviews I've read have actually been that bad, and neither is this one. 7.9 out of 10 is still pretty high in the charts. It might not be the "Goodness! This is the best FF evah and a work of art!!!" score people were hoping for, but it's still pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back