How do you pronounce Zidane's name?

StandtoRise6

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I am not sure if this is already a thread, but this question is driving me bonkers :blink:. I have always pronounced Zidane's names as "Z-eye-Dan". Now mind you, I just run with whatever pops in my head the first time I play an FF, and it always kind of sticks. But I was watching the "History of Final Fantasy" documentry on the Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition, and they pronounced it totally different (can't remember off the top of my head). So, what do you think? I really want to be saying Zidane's name the right way, it isn't fair for me to butcher character names :P.

I did pronounce it Zee-Dan but when I learned of the proper way to pronounce Zinedine Zidane's name I changed my mind, now I pronounce it Zi-Dan

I wondered the same thing. I always said it like ZI-A-DINE, but that sounds like a cough syrup or something. Then I stared saying it like ZI-DI-ANNE. Then I got mad and reffered to him as Z. Man I get annoyed to easy. ZI-DAN sounds right to me though.

I refuse to relate him in any way to Zinedine Zidane XD

Zid-ain << that's how I pronounce it.

According to the rules of english Zih-dein would be the pronunciation I would assume is correct.

However this is not an American company so maybe it's different.

I've always called him "Zi-Dan" just because of Zinedine Zidane. Once I heard people pronounce it "Zee-Dane" and even in the history of Final Fantay I did get confused. I looked up his Japanese name and it is "Jitan". Can't really go on that but "Zi-Dan" sounds close to "Jitan".

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't believe the way they pronounced Cecil's name in the documentary.

Last edited:
Hrm...well I have a friend named Dane...as in great dane...
So I know the latter part is pronounced as in great dane...

I say the first part like Z-eye

So I say Zoo-eye-great dane

I pronounce with a long I and a long A. Zie ('i' as in sigh) - Dane ('a' as in game).

Zi-Dan for me. I've never read anything to the contrary either, so I've stuck with that since the first time I played the game.

Back