Ideas for a GoW/Darksiders style Final Fantasy

taurus82

Minotaur & Sacred are Kin
Gil
Help me pool ideas for a hack & slash style Final Fantasy.
Taking all the popular elements of the RPG and applying to an accessible and direct control system.

Attack/Mug/Limit Break
Magic/Enemy Skill
Summon
Item

Would we still be controlling a party?

Last edited:
hmmmmm you could use a kingdom hearts like system, i think using a system like crisis core would work well here :D

Isn't FFVersus13 already using the KH system?

Does SE think turn based combat is dying?

That's sad.

That's sad.

There's still a place in the market for command-based combat; it just needs to... evolve a bit, which would be better for Square-Enix as they, historically, haven't been all that great with direct-input combat (Though Versus looks promising).

What they should do is add in some Tactical RPG elements (Players could choose to move their units around the field to differing locations, which would affect the progress of the battle (Say, Cloud is moved to a position directly facing the enemies, while Cid is moved over to a crane on the battlefield that he could operate and use to hs advantage or some shit)).

They could go a Dragon Age-style approach, though (FFXII was somewhat similar, and in many ways a step in the right direction). Here's an idea I proposed on another board for an FFVII remake with revamped gameplay:

It would be like that of Dragon Age or FFXII, in which you could pause the game to assign commands and switch out the character you directly control, but attacks and stuff would still be executed in real time.

The basics of Materia would remain intact, but it would be fine-toned; in addition to having a "type" (Magic, Command, Summon, whatever), it would have an element (Fire, Wind, whatever). Weapons would change depending on what elemental materia you have equipped (Having alot of fire materia would cause your sword to be flaming, while having an equal number of fire and lightning materia would cause your sword to be both flaming and electrified).

In addition, MP wouldn't be used, but instead, each equipped Materia would have a "cooldown," with some Materia having longer cooldowns than others (Summons would naturally have the longest cooldowns). Cooldowns would shorten as Materia are leveled up.

Summons would be directly controllable and have a devastating "final attack" (Which would be the summon spells from the original game).

Isn't FFVersus13 already using the KH system?

That's sad.

I feel that the KH system is still too command based, and direct control of the various magics and abilities is what I would prefer.

Here is what I believe would make sweet control set-up:
Of course the analog sticks will control character movement and camera as per usual.
Face buttons would be the standard attack (horizonal slash, vertical slash, kick, block/counter).
Magic/summons could be performed by holding a shoulder button in conjunction with a face button (that would be assigned an element/summon).

Perhaps when a summon is performed it will partially possess your character, maybe grow wings when Bahamut is called?

Back