It's just not about the game anymore.

anthonyaudi

Gil
Hello fellow FFers. Ok so this is my first post here so please no haterism because you will say "a one time poster comes in for negativity" because it is really not.

I was reading the thread FF13 love it or hate it.

Final Fantasy 13 as a visual game, unmatched by any game out there in my opinion it is not far fetched to say something along the lines of it's graphically the best game PS3 has or Xbox for that matter.

We all know that graphically this game could be much better had it been made to one platform. If it was made only on the PS3 they would have been able to make the game better simply because the PS3 is stronger than the Xbox. But that is not the case here.

Since FF7 I think that the series took a serious turn for the worse. The games have been getting worse and worse (with I think the exception of FF10).

My reasoning: The first one is going out on a limb but since Enix came into the picture I strongly believe that the series has strayed heavily from its roots. Now maybe it is because they felt that the game had to take a new turn or evolve differently but no one can deny that if we look at FF6 or FF7 the games are just not the same anymore. People would actually get into the story and spend hours on hours with the side quests. (Remember trying to get all the enemy skills in FF6 or FF7 or power leveling for hours on end against monsters with ridiculous heart power)

The graphics no doubt have evolved but has Square really just made it a point to make games that push the limits of the hardware. To show off what their artists can do? To say "This game has to be a benchmark for graphics" (FF12 on the Ps2 or FF7 on Ps1)

What happened to the story, do you remember the earlier games where the stories were so immense and complex that you had to literally talk to every person in a town to understand what was going on. Or if you missed talking to one person your story couldn't continue. Remember getting so caught up in a random side quest that you forget your mission and the person you spoke to who gave you the clue now says something different. What happened to that part of the game?

FF13 is a very linear game, your paths are pretty much chosen for you for the majority of that game. Now I haven't finished but I know that game is fairly linear until much later in the game.

I won't say that developing all the roles and power leveling later won't be fun because it probably will be. Everyone who plays the game will most likely enjoy that part but I don't think anyone can truly say "This one is THE BEST" Again it is a matter of taste and opinion but realistically this game just IS NOT what people make it out to be.

Final Fantasy is a trademark series, kind of like Resident Evil (which has strayed so far from its roots that even Capcom has said that in order to make a Resident Evil 6 they have to rethink the way the game is made, but that is besides the point I'm just making a reference)

Who of you started FF13 and waited for the trademark harp opening, the song that EVERYONE knows Final Fantasy for. As soon as I popped in the game and I heard a different theme song I said to myself, "Ok well this is strange" Then I started to play and I had my first battle (The battle system is mediocre at best. Turn based is what Final Fantasy was built on keep it at what works best for the game. I want to be able to control all 3 character not just one.) beat my first enemy and what am I listening to, a very very new winning song. I'm playing Final Fantasy I want to hear the signature victory theme. Saying to myself, "Maybe it's just the opening part of the game and later on I will hear it." 5 chapters later, still the same song. What is going on.

Characters, is it me or do ALL the characters look the same, do they not all have more or less the same facial structure? Vanille. Hope, Lightning?? Fine they look different but does anyone other than myself think that since Final Fantasy 8 all the characters are VERY similar looking?

I can go on and on about the game and how it has drifted so far from what a traditional Final Fantasy should be but the thread has gone on way too long.

Basically what I'm saying is, Final Fantasy is not about Final Fantasy anymore anyone who has been playing them since FF1 and gone through them all will not disagree with me. I've seen it from the start and have seen the series grow but it has come to a point where the reality of this series is

It is just not about the game anymore.

Let's stop pretending that the world of video games is about who can push the best graphics out of a system and concentrate on giving the gamers a good story, a great replay value, and an ever lasting experience.

Don't forget FF13 was announced in 2006, that was 4 years ago, they had plenty of time to think over what should and could come out of this game and they just created another "good RGP" but not another "signature Final Fantasy"

(Classic Sid, first 5 chapters had 1 sentence, I'm not holding my breath to hear from him again)

FF13 good or bad? Good game but NOT A REAL FINAL FANTASY.

Back