Living with your parents

Rydia

Throwing rocks at emo kids
Veteran
Gil
So it used to be a huge taboo if you were age 25+ and still lived with your parents, especially if you were a guy. You may have been considered a loser whose parents still completely spoil you despite your age. However, with the economy the way it is and many people having trouble finding jobs, many can't afford to move out or have moved in with their parents. And people do not take as much issue with it as they used to.

So what is your opinion of adults living with their parents. At what age do you think someone should no longer be living with mom and dad?

I personally have never cared as long as they weren't living off their parents and not even making an effort to find work. Some people may not be in a serious relationship and do not want to live alone. Yeah they can move in with friends, but their friends may be hard to live with or they may all be married. The 25+ year old may also be paying rent, so it's not like they are 30 years old, acting like a 16 year old and have parents that still completely spoil them.

Espeically now when people have trouble finding jobs. Sometimes the kid? helps their parents pay the bills so it works out for everyone. Yeah it woudl suck to bring friends over or a date...

When i was growing up, I was always told to stay with your parents as long as you could. Save that money up rather than graduate and be in a huge rush to get your own place. Personally, I see no problem staying with your parents, especially in today's economy. I know 30 some year 'that got laid off from their current jobs and had to move back home because they couldn't find work anywhere else.

I can't really say at what age you should move out, it's all about what you're doing. If you're at your parents house at 25 years old or older and never had a job, something is wrong. But the economy the way it is, I won't blame anyone if they're working and still at home. They laid off a shit load of nurses over here in my town, so I mean, what the fuck can you do? How the fuck can you have your own place if you never know if or when you'll be laid off? Buddy of mine got laid off from the state, good paying job. Waits tables at Applebees now cause there's nothing else out there.

I still live with my folks. I'm only 20 though and currently unemployed. I have an opportunity to be a part of a new budding Financial Aid/Investment company opening up here so depending on our client base (which most people in this area have gone untouched) I may make okay-ish money.

My sister was 24 I believe and still living with us. Her fiance, still at his parents as well. It was only by chance that the plot of land next to ours opened up, and they jumped on that and moved out, otherwise I think they'd still be here.

I'm in no hurry to leave. My older sisters set a low bar to move out by, and having no money I can't go anywhere anyway. Plus, my dad is retired/living on pension/last of EI benefits, so he and my mum need all the help they can get when I get a job again. I had no problem offering up a couple hundred for rent, but now I feel like shit that I can't now that I'm jobless. =/

...ohyah, and my foreign boyfriend lives with us too. :monster:

I mean rough times call for rough measures as they say. The general outlook has changed for me, since I used to be a little narrow minded and hard headed about folks who lived with their parents, but now more and more of my friends are graduating college and not having any job market to turn to so their only option is to stay with their family. They can't even get a job at walmart with their degree in hand. Some folks are even going back for their masters because of how bad the job market is just to establish themselves for the competitive edge.

You know the crazy thing about it is, people are not caring who has a degree or not, they are wanting people who can get the job done with experience and efficiently at that. So folks at home, it's a bit normal these days past the age of 25. Even without the market crashing, if the person is actively trying to get a job and is just finding no luck, I can hardly frown on that.

So I can definitely say.. these days.. I'm okay with it, but for those folks being parasites on their parents who are getting their SUVs/Laptops/Big screen tvs/House paid for by their parents... without them having the slightest motivation to get a job, these are the ones who I hope fail and end up in prison. It's folks like these who don't know how to survive... in the words of the great Maynard from tool..

Learn to swim.

Being a guy who lived with his parents until he was 26, I naturally don't see a major issue in it. Being stubborn and not wanting to expand out of New England to find work in my field, this made it very difficult for me to find a job that suited me. But working at Budget until I found a job wasn't enough for me to live on my own. After I did get a job, I still lived with my parents for another year or so. I was mainly waiting to see if the prospect of living with a friend of mine would pan out, but it never did so I found a place that was affordable for me to live by myself.

If someone were to live with their parents and sponge off of them, then I can certainly see that as being an issue. At some point, a person has to learn to take care of themself and live without the support of their parents. I understand that it can be a major change and that move into the real world can be one that can be scary, but at some point in time, a person has to bite the bullet. Living in the real world sucks, sure, but there are plenty of advantages to it as well. Freedom is the biggest one that comes to mind.

I'm glad to see a good opinion for those who have to stay with parents.

I'm goin' on 18 and still live with my family. I'm not really ashamed of it. It's easier for school and for those of us that don't have jobs or ways of getting jobs.

I don't see an issue with it :hmmm:
That said, I want to leave home and go to uni when I'm 18.
Got a couple of years left yet, but I think I'd go insane if I lived with my parents for many more years. I love my parents but all the same, I've always liked my own space.
But I don't have an issue with people who live with their parents for a long time, if they have a good reason. If they're just lazy and can't be arsed to move out and get a life for themselves, then, well... I think they need to do something about it.

Living with your parents once you get passed a certain age is not really a bad thing depending on the reason for it. For example my older brother had to move back with my parents because he had a big arguement with his soon-to-be ex-wife and he was turning 30 at the time. However a few months later he was off on his own again.

In my case, I moved out twice so far but it didn't work out both times when I was not properly prepared. However I plan to try again by the summer after next and I am hoping it will work this time. My point being that even though it is taking me a while, at least I am trying to move out on my own.

Regarding what Shu said about some people being a parasite to their parents is an good example of when living at home should be considered taboo. Even your parents would eventually want to see you leave out on your own and make a name for yourself instead of staying there and depending on them to take care of you for the rest of their lives.

I dont have an issue with it. Im 25 and live with my grandparents. From the age of 19-21 I had a place with my boyfriend at the time and I had a student loan and was at uni, so it worked. But Ive been back here for 4 years now and luckly have a job after being made redundant last August. Our neighbour is in his 40s and still lives at home. But hes close to his mum and his father passed away about 6 years ago, so he stayed at home with his mum. I dont think hes sad or pathetic, but the situation is sad cause he cant leave her or have a social life.

My boyfriend has his own house and his 2 friends pay rent to live there also. Hes 25 also, but he has a very well paid job and a good saver lol. I do want to move out and have my own place again, but at the same time I dont have it so bad. People have told me to stay put untill I can find a good reasonable place. Plus I couldnt leave my gran with my granddad, they argue far too much.

I think when the parents start saying to get out, first of all thats a bad parental trait and second of all thats when its time to go, which is rarely the case anyway...

I don't think anyone should be forced by Society to move out, as long as said person living with their parents helps with bills and food costs as much as possible then there isn't really a difference of staying home or moving out, eh? But don't be a bum do your own laundry :gasp:

I'll be 22 soon, and the idea of leaving home is no where in my near future. In general, the culture I grew up in pretty much emphasizes the closeness of family, so even without the economy being rougher than normal, I'd probably still be with my family for a long time to come.

Me and my bf have decided we're going to live with my folks until we're 30. :monster:

Me and my bf are remodeling (well, I for sure am, he may not be here) two rooms into one long room to help accommodate my second surgery. To have said surgery, physio and job hunt all over again (or go to college for a year for Pharm Tech) I'll be at home for about... oh, three years. I have no problem with this. He has no problem with this... and they have no problem with this!

The whole time, we'll of course be paying rent when we can (can't atm joblessness) because my folks are having a rough time paying bills and paying off their vehicles they bought two years ago. But really, my older sisters have houses and mortgages.. so given that me and my guy pay out my sibs about 50 K each (as an acting mortgage) then the house is ours. I'd much rather just stay with my folks, help out when we can, and help to make the house better by replacing things, refurnishing things... a lot moreso than putting me and my guy in debt by moving from apartment to apartment before landing a house and buying a multitude of furnishings for said house.

By the time we're 30, my mum will be retired (as my pop already is) and they'll be in their late 60's. We'll send em off on a few vacations, cruises, whatever they want as a retirement gift that we'll save up over 10 years... and then put them in a home. :monster:

I'm pretty much with Fusionist on this one. Aside from cultural values, there isn't a solid reason why an adult should not live with their parents. If it's about learning their independence then they could support themselves financially while still living with their parents. It always seemed to me that you shouldn't move out unless you have actual reasons to move out. One of said reasons is usually a serious relationship where the son/daughter finds someone they're ready to spend their lives with. That requires their own space.
I'm currently living alone because I'm studying abroad. however, when I was going to college in my home country I stayed with my parents.

I only live with my parents when I go back for holidays. The rest of the time I'm living in Uni accommodation and we're renting a house out for next year so while I don't live with my parents, I do still live with people.

I just prefer it TBH. It's nice to see your family and all that but I have freedom on my own. Unfortunately, my parents still treat me like child some of the time which can get irritating. I would rather just try and become self sustaining as soon as possible because I'll have to anyway.

However, I would be lying if I said it wasn't because of social pressures as well. You don't look as independent (or so they tell us) if you live with your parents and potential partners might look down on that etc.

I was hoping to be out of my parent's house before the end of this year but with the way job hunting is going, I'll be lucky if I have a job by January. I never really looked down on people who live with their folks when they're "supposed" to be out on their own. I've got two uncles that only recently moved out of my grandmother's house and they're both in their 40's (but they've had financial issues for the past few years). I'm only eighteen and I've been told by many people that I shouldn't be worried about moving out any time soon. But it still bothers me that I don't even have the ability to move out.

Now, sometimes, people who lives with their parents are just flat out pathetic. Those guys that are in their 30's who act like their teenagers. We all know those guys who borrow their parent's cars and come home drunk. They don't pay bills and they don't have a job, which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't burning through their parent's money. If someone's living at home and they're not even trying to find a job, then they're not victims of the economy, they're mooches on hard working people. Granted that the unemployment percentage is about 9% of Americans, but some of those people don't mind being out of work because they let their parents give them everything.

I moved away from my parents and moved in with my boyfriend aged 19, however once uni was over we got a bit stuck with payments etc, and both moved in with my mum and her partner when we were 23 (well, just before my 23rd birthday) and we're still there because my boyfriend lost his job, and I'm only part time. We're not getting spoilt or anything, we have to pay rent, buy some of our own food and contribute to luxuries etc, as well as the usual cleaning up after ourselves, do our own washing...
I don't particularly like the situation, but I don't hate it either. Besides, it's the only way we can be at the moment

If you can't afford a place on your own, I think it is alright to live with your parents regardless of what age you are. I do think that a lot of people are just using the money thing as an excuse though. I've known plenty of people who are on expensive phone plans at all times, go binge drinking every weekend, and just over all have pretty excessive leisure budgets. Yet they still claimed that they couldn't afford moving out!

Honestly if you can afford an expensive phone plan and going out partying every weekend, you probably could afford moving out. Get rid of the Iphone, cut back on the partying a little bit, and you might just be able to start saving towards a deposit. ;)

I don't own a cell phone of any sorts, and I only buy a bottle of Malibu on occasions when I do have a bit of cash. :monster:

That's not the same for everybody. There are some people who are just generally in shitty situations. I get 300 bi-weekly from EI for being jobless.. I buy my own groceries and stuff for my animals... I try to pitch in for my folks 100 a month... and after gas, that just doesn't leave me with... well, anything.

To be honest with you, when I moved out it was a good choice, but I still think too early. But that's just me - it varies from person to person. Most people in Scandinavia move out between 16-20 but there's places where you simply can't do that even if you wanted to. I know in Italy the average age is 30. As for when I was staying in the UK, if I were still living there I would be living with my parents for the somewhat forseable future.

I don't think there's anything wrong with is, so long as you are just lounging around and actually looking to move out or saving towards something. Not just stay there as it's a free bed. However, in all honesty, I couldn't live on my own. I am ashamed to say that my partner does pretty much everything for me - certainly everything my mother would have done for me before. I can't really use washing machines and all that shit. I am just hopeless with it. So without a "woman's touch" so to speak, I would be lost and most certainly still living under mummy's roof =D

I dont thing living with your parents is a bad thing cuz when your gonna be in
truble, they are going to help you and thats true no matter the age.

Back