12 Year Old Astrophysics Prodigy (HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.)

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
In some ways, Jacob Barnett is just like any other 12-year-old kid. He plays Guitar Hero, shoots hoops with his friends, and has a platonic girlfriend.

But in other ways, he's a little different. Jake, who has an IQ of 170, began solving 5,000-piece jigsaw puzzles at the age of 3, not long after he'd been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism. A few years later, he taught himself calculus, algebra, and geometry in two weeks. By 8, he had left high school, and is currently taking college-level advanced astrophysics classes—while tutoring his older classmates. And he's being recruited for a paid researcher job by Indiana University.

Now, he's at work on a theory that challenges the Big Bang—the prevailing explanation among scientists for how the universe came about. It's not clear how developed it is, but experts say he's asking the right questions.

"The theory that he's working on involves several of the toughest problems in astrophysics and theoretical physics," Scott Tremaine of Princeton University's Institute for Advanced Studies—where Einstein (pictured) himself worked—wrote in an email to Jake's family. "Anyone who solves these will be in line for a Nobel Prize."

It's not clear where Jake got his gifts from. "Whenever I try talking about math with anyone in my family," he told the Indianapolis Star, "they just stare blankly."

But his parents encouraged his interests from the start. Once, they took him to the planetarium at Butler University. "We were in the crowd, just sitting, listening to this guy ask the crowd if anyone knew why the moons going around Mars were potato-shaped and not round," Jake's mother, Kristine Barnett, told the Star. "Jacob raised his hand and said, 'Excuse me, but what are the sizes of the moons around Mars?' "

After the lecturer answered, said Kristine, "Jacob looked at him and said the gravity of the planet ... is so large that (the moon's) gravity would not be able to pull it into a round shape."

"That entire building ... everyone was just looking at him, like, 'Who is this 3-year-old?'"

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...r-old-astrophysics-prodigy-the-skys-the-limit

Holy shit, this kid is fucking awesome. I can easily see him winning a Nobel Prize one day. I hope we hear more about him and his theory as time goes on. :grin:

Scary!

Man, evolution at work? It seems to me that news of some kid skipping some junior levels of education are getting more and more frequent. Even here in my country, I've seen a kid who's barely taken his first major examination sitting for the GCE 'A' Levels.

I think it's amazing!! To be that smart at 3 is unheard of haha. I can't wait to hear more about him in the news and what kind of theories and answers he comes up with regarding the Big Bang etc.

Great news story!!

eeh, right. All that mumbo jumbo went right past my head. But dang! This kid's talented! He's got a great future ahead of him. He'll definitely go far. And I'll be surprised if he doesn't do something great.

god bless him!

This.... THIS is why I will never support "curing" autism. Certainly it's a difficult situation for the kid and the parents, but the capabilities that some of these people have is absolutely mind-boggling. To do anything to that away is criminal, in my opinion.

They always say that Autistic kids are like a billions times smarter than others who are not Autistic, but their brains don't cooparate with them correctly. This kid is an example of a miricle come true. He has asburgers, and is THIS smart. Good for him, and I too like toni will keep an eye out for this kid. :ryan:

They always say that Autistic kids are like a billions times smarter than others who are not Autistic, but their brains don't cooparate with them correctly. This kid is an example of a miricle come true. He has asburgers, and is THIS smart. Good for him, and I too like toni will keep an eye out for this kid. :ryan:

Asperger is only social autism, it doesnt affect thought processes at all, it just means you don't know how to properly act socially.

This.... THIS is why I will never support "curing" autism. Certainly it's a difficult situation for the kid and the parents, but the capabilities that some of these people have is absolutely mind-boggling. To do anything to that away is criminal, in my opinion.

Even at the cost of them being happy? I'll keep this short because it's off topic, but if someone can't socially interact, then they probably aren't going to have a very happy life. Being smart, and doing all of this is all well of and amazing, but it's also totally wrecking his life.

It's like kids that become popstars, he doesn't get a childhood. It rubs me the wrong way. Is he doing something amazing? More than likely. Do I think it's right for that sort of pressure to be on a 12 year old? Fuck No.

Even at the cost of them being happy? I'll keep this short because it's off topic, but if someone can't socially interact, then they probably aren't going to have a very happy life. Being smart, and doing all of this is all well of and amazing, but it's also totally wrecking his life.

Only if you have a very narrow definition of happiness. It's not that they're unhappy, necessarily. It's that the things that make them happy are not the same things that make you and I happy. Their brain is not better or worse. It's just different. In many cases, they don't require social interaction to be happy. Social interaction makes them uncomfortable, because their brain doesn't interpret the signals as well as ours do. So their happiness stems from seeing 6 orange cars on the way to school that morning. It's just different.

I actually gotta agree with Cody on this. I knew an autistic kid or two (one of them with Aspergers Syndrome as well) and they weren't very happy. He was bright and smart as all get out. He looked at the world different, saw different methods to doing things and was completely content with how he did them.

However his lack of ability to socially interact left him incredibly lonely, and quite depressed at times. Without at least one good friend, these people aren't commonly very happy, and beyond their immediate family who understands whats happening, they don't have friends. They just don't know how to make them. They say things, blurt out words and do actions that are weird and uncommon; we don't understand why they do what they do and say. It's not 'normal' to us.

This Astrophysics kid is insanely bright, and will accomplish so much in the world in his future, it's obvious. In the long run though, I can't imagine he'll be very happy. He'll have few peers on his level of intelligence, and beyond physics, what sort of common ground is there to talk about? He'll be above and intimidating to most others, probably making a lot of people feel that they're too dumb to talk to him, which will just cripple his ability to make friends later on because not only can he not approach others, but they'll be afraid to approach him.

Given his Aspergers and lack of social ability, his childhood wouldn't have gone over well I imagine, so it's good that he's doing what he's doing. But beyond that, despite the Nobel Peace Prize and throughout all the lectures and mediations that he'll give, I can't imagine that he'll be a very happy guy.

Back