[14/05] Square on FFVII remake: We’ve got to finish FFXV first, maybe after

i don't want square enix of today even touching that game. everything in the compilation other than advent children fucking sucked

I fully agree. A complete remake would involve many retcons and alterations to the original story to accommodate the additions and changes from the Compilation. I don't know if I'm entirely okay with that. I love the original FFVII story as it is, and unfortunately it is highly unlikely that they will leave it that way if they had to remake the game now after the Compilation.

I fully agree. A complete remake would involve many retcons and alterations to the original story to accommodate the additions and changes from the Compilation. I don't know if I'm entirely okay with that. I love the original FFVII story as it is, and unfortunately it is highly unlikely that they will leave it that way if they had to remake the game now after the Compilation.

i might be entirely ok with it depending if they dont change specific scenes. most of the compilation was background information anyways....

The pattern for SE and re-releasing old FF games is just touchup, not full-blown remake. On the PC side there are plenty of mods that add high-poly character models and other enhancements. I imagine that's more along the lines of what we'd get than something like the tech demo shown off at E3 all those years ago. Of course, we did see 2D to 3D conversions of FFIII, IV, and IV:TAY, so that could be in the cards as well. FFVII is practically a 2D FF for the majority of the game. In both cases we're talking retaining the original form and just sprucing up the visuals and maybe adding some voice acting. The likelihood of seeing FFVII run on Luminous/Yebis seems extremely remote. This means three things: 1) the effort would be small enough it could be a side project for SE, 2) it wouldn't change the actual gameplay in any noteworthy manner, meaning fans wouldn't have anything to be upset over, and 3) based on actual sales of other remasters it would be practically guaranteed to sell like gangbusters. Considering that's where we are today, an FFVII remaster is almost inevitable. Just expect it to be another remaster, not a remake.

The pattern for SE and re-releasing old FF games is just touchup, not full-blown remake. On the PC side there are plenty of mods that add high-poly character models and other enhancements. I imagine that's more along the lines of what we'd get than something like the tech demo shown off at E3 all those years ago. Of course, we did see 2D to 3D conversions of FFIII, IV, and IV:TAY, so that could be in the cards as well. FFVII is practically a 2D FF for the majority of the game. In both cases we're talking retaining the original form and just sprucing up the visuals and maybe adding some voice acting. The likelihood of seeing FFVII run on Luminous/Yebis seems extremely remote. This means three things: 1) the effort would be small enough it could be a side project for SE, 2) it wouldn't change the actual gameplay in any noteworthy manner, meaning fans wouldn't have anything to be upset over, and 3) based on actual sales of other remasters it would be practically guaranteed to sell like gangbusters. Considering that's where we are today, an FFVII remaster is almost inevitable. Just expect it to be another remaster, not a remake.
The PC version is basically a remastered version...a remake would be changing the design in any way.

but even then, SE has made remakes in the past. is it the most common thing? no...but they've done it before. Take a look at Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories/Re:Chain of Memories and coded /Re:coded. Dragon Quest games have also been remade over the years. Quite recently Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is also a remake.

I honestly dont give a damn about the changes that ff7 will need to be done....if it means more realism, then go for it. if nostalgia is the ery thing thats getting in the way of actually making a decent remake, then go ahead. Compilation really didn't provide all that much of a change, in fact alot of what happened in the cutscenes was left to the imagination.

I swear that Square-Enix is going to go insane pretty soon.

2007- FF VII fanboy- Are you going to remake Final Fantasy VII on the ps3 ?
Square-Enix- No, we don't have any plans to remake the game, that was just a tech demo.

2008- FF VII fanboy- Are you going to remake Final Fantasy VII on the ps3 ?
Square- Enix- No, that was just a tech demo, but thankyou for your questions.

2009- FF VII fanboy- Are you going to remake Final Fantasy VII on the ps3 ? I loved the tech demo btw !
Square- Enix- No, we are unsure if we are unable to remake it with today's technology.

2010- FF VII fanboy- Are you going to remake Final Fantasy VII on the ps3 ? I loved the tech demo btw !
Square- Enix- No, though please enjoy our upcoming games Final Fantasy XIII and Dissidia !

2011- FF VII fanboy- Are you going to remake Final Fantasy VII on the ps3 or ps4 ?
Square- Enix- No, though please enjoy our upcoming games Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Dissidia 012 !

2012- FF VII fanboy- So the ps4 is coming out, got any plans, like a Final Fantasy VII remake by any chance ?
Square- Enix- No, we are too busy kissing Lighting blow-up dolls to really give a fuck anymore, do you want any Lightning merch ?

2013- FF VII fanboy- so ps4, Final Fantasy VII remake ?
Square- Enix- LOOK ! FF VI CELLPHONE GAME ! A-AMAZING ! SO FRESH, SO HIP, SO TO-DAY !

2014- FF VII fanboy- Final Fantasy VII remake ?
Square- Enix- Just shut the fuck up and wait for Final Fantasy XV would you ? Though if you ask us again, we might just remake the damn thing, so we can gain our sanity back, thanks for your questions !

2015- FF VII fanboy- Final Fantasy XV is looking very promising, though where is the Final Fantasy VII remake ?
Square- Enix- * goes into Kefka mode *

I still don't care for a Final Fantasy VII remake. Not yet anyway. I'd rather see V and VI get the PSP/Vita treatment, like I-IV did, before anything else. The iOS versions of V and VI were a good attempt but nowhere near as good as they would of been on the PSP/Vita. Maybe even hi-res 1080p console versions of all the PSP editions?

After the first VI get the definitive treatment they deserve do I think Square-Enix should look at remastering (not remaking) VII-IX.

After the first VI get the definitive treatment they deserve do I think Square-Enix should look at remastering (not remaking) VII-IX.

FF7 and 8 have both been remastered and put up on Steam. I wonder why they aren't on PSN also though? Maybe because it'll take sales away from the original versions on there, I guess.

By the way guys, I heard that the FF7 remake is currently at around 50% done.

Slap.gif

Seriously why would anyone ask when FFVII remake is going happen when this nice FFVer....FFXIII....FFXV is still in the making, after god knows how long... and KHIII is going to be made after that...

I think the best chance of any real news of FFVII will be in 2017 with the 20 year anniversary of the game... but again, if people really wanna play it... it is on PSN and PC, or they can find the PS1 game for pretty cheap now, so I don't see the point of trying to remake it right now anyways, except to please the graphics people...

Also think about how much they would change just to make FFVII actually fit in with...well...everything... Cloud and the Turks actually knowing each other... Genesis and Angeal in the game... :damon:

FF7 and 8 have both been remastered and put up on Steam. I wonder why they aren't on PSN also though? Maybe because it'll take sales away from the original versions on there, I guess.

I haven't looked at the Steam 'remasters' as I don't have Steam, but isn't it just the PC version with a few additions? :wacky:
I think as the Steam version is based on the PC version and not Sonys version, maybe theres a legal reason why they can't have it on PSN?

and don't start that rumor off... it's been so-called 50% done for about 10 fucking years now :wacky:

I haven't looked at the Steam 'remasters' as I don't have Steam, but isn't it just the PC version with a few additions? :wacky:
I think as the Steam version is based on the PC version and not Sonys version, maybe theres a legal reason why they can't have it on PSN?

and don't start that rumor off... it's been so-called 50% done for about 10 fucking years now :wacky:

Yeah, it's just the PC versions. The graphics are all smoothed out and "HD-ified" though, so it's a remaster. They're just a wee bit shoddy compared with the FFX remaster :lew:.

For 10 years? Maybe it has reached 51% now... :britt:

here is the 50% done part of the game :elmo:

Also the Steam version had "smoother graphics" and added 36 achievements, and a "cloud saving" file for you. other than that the only thing added was the "secret cow level" which if you don't know what that is, here :elmo:

Yeah, it's just the PC versions. The graphics are all smoothed out and "HD-ified" though, so it's a remaster. They're just a wee bit shoddy compared with the FFX remaster :lew:.

For 10 years? Maybe it has reached 51% now... :britt:
Thought so. A remaster in my eyes would need properly redrawn models/backgrounds, new music etc... maybe some additional gameplay. Proper HD-fied. Something that would look like it belongs and is the logical continuation of the PSP Final Fantasies.

here is the 50% done part of the game :elmo:

Also the Steam version had "smoother graphics" and added 36 achievements, and a "cloud saving" file for you. other than that the only thing added was the "secret cow level" which if you don't know what that is, here :elmo:

Didn't that tech demo just end up being the basis of Crisis Cores opening? :wacky:

and you fuck. I totally bought into that for a sec there. I'd actually get Steam and FFVII again if there was a secret cow level!

Back