Adhoc- Laptop to Laptop

moogling

yaoi master ari
Veteran
Gil
So, being the idiot that I am I have lost the password to my wireless connection. However, my father's the one who set it up for me, so I'm lost.

I've got two laptops here. One with connection and one without. I set up an adhoc through the laptop with no connection, and am trying to connect the laptop WITH internet to the connection. So I can have the internet on BOTH of the computers.

The laptop WITH internet is connected to the original wireless router. The laptop without isn't connected to anything.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Or is it just not possible?

I just bought a new wireless router but it requires me to already have a connection or some shit. So that's out the window.

If you're confused I can try to explain it again. Or if you need more information let me know.

Without seeing your network is a bit hard to advise, but there are some things you can try. What is the make and model of your router?

1. For the laptop with connection in the URL bar type: 192.168.0.1 [then press enter]
Depending on your security settings you may get into your routers settings meaning you can view the Network Key and use it for the laptop without connection.

2. If your router is the first point of access for your internet, then you can try assigning manual IP addresses to your two laptops: 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. Give both laptops a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 [However if you are in doubt of how to do this I wouldnt do it, as you may find it confusing to reset, which would be setting IPs back to Automatic and rebooting the router]

3. A quick way to test for online connection is if you have any ethernet cable plug the two laptops together via this cable and it works ten you know that you are dealing with wireless settings.

See how you get on with that first before trying anything else

Back