Best President

Sephirothalpha

Grand Master Mage
Veteran
Gil
Rufus Shinra is a cool president and does a good job in the role but will he ever be as great a president as his father.

President Shinra was the first president of the Shinra Company. He built it from a simple weapons development company to a corporation that controlled the world in a single generation. He was a remarkably capable manager who excelled at the science of predicting human nature and guiding public opinion. It was his theory that one could control the world by grasping the masses' hearts with money. He found the opinions of his son, Rufus, dangerous and ensured that they were kept away from company affairs by assigning him duties in "far away" lands. The President dedicated a large amount of Shinra Inc's resources and money into research of the Cetra with the hope of finding "The Promised Land" and building a powerful Mako Reactor there.

Rufus did have a huge crisis on his hands but its shows at the end of FFVII and the beginning of advent children, Red XIII and his cubs looking down on a midgar that is no longer functional with ultimitely says that Rufus failed to re-build Shinra Inc.

So my question is who is the best president Rufus or his father?

Obviously Rufus. In FFVII, you're supposed to already hate the previous President Shinra, but find him dead.

Then, they introduce a new president who is even worse than the last, willing to rule by fear rather than money, a certain Rufus Shinra. So Rufus has to be worse, at least for the immediate moment, for the sake of dramatic tension. As a president, business-wise and politically, he also fails in the long run - whereas the former President Shinra was a corrupt official, Rufus was a full-on dictator.

And based on history, which of the two is more likely to meet a violent resistance?

It is hard to say since you never really see how President Shinra operates... but Rufus is a dufus, as was said before. President Shinra commanded Sephiroth and created the Turks. Even though he died by Sephiroth's hands, I still say he was a much more competent and powerful man than his son.

I think shinra was the better president but remember rufus is just a newbie and i like the way he does stuff around midgar he fights if he has to fight and in advent children he faced kadaj with cloud and company./

I'd have to say that Rufus was the better President, he knew there was easier to control people other than using money. Rufus was also able to track down Cloud wherever he went, while his father was unable to find AVALANCHE, Rufus was also able to keep the masses under control while the meteor was falling, and he actually tried to do something about it. And rufus broke the barrier surrounding Sephiroth, while i think his father would have let it remain as long as Sephiroth wasn't a threat to him.

Interesting topic.

President Shinra's time was short-lived, literally, so we couldn't see much of what he actually did. What we did discover, though, is that he was all-too-quick to cover up Shinra's mistakes, frame and blame AVALANCHE for the collapse of the plate and everything else we saw. We know, from Rufus' small speech, that his father controlled people through fear and money. We ALSO discover something else, in a different game; that President Shinra actually began Deepground and authorised Hojo to conduct such experiments, subsequently creating Hojo and, ironincally, leading to his own demise.

President Rufus, on the other hand, actually wanted people to benefit from Mako energy and simply became blind to everything else in his quest to find the Promised Land. He tried to make up for his mistakes in Advent Children and he even did what he could to get to Sephiroth, presumabely to get rid of him. Whether or not he did it to stop him from taking the Promised Land from him, or because he actually saw him as a threat, I don't know. Regardless of his motivation, he inadertently ended up fighting with your party ... despite attempted and publicised murder xD Although, the justification for that was for the benefit of the people.

So aye. I'm fond of Rufus.

I didnt see AC.. my personal opinion of both is, President Shinra more than likely would have played the villian much better than Rufus. For some reason I liked Rufus' attitude and his whole "New Age" agenda, it was quite ashame that he was killed. I think in the end it was no longer about mako energy, it was about survival.

I'm not sure Shin-Ra would've lasted 500 so Rufus could've rebuilt it for all we know. We didn't see much of president shinra so as far as who's personality I prefered, I can't really answer that. I think President shinra did a better job than Rufus.

Rufus isnt afraid to get his hands dirty as you do see him fight in FF7 and advent children but his father had the fighting done for him, he doesnt look like the type to lift a finger, he was more intelligent and let others do his dirty work.

I believe Rufus is the better president. Once Rufus father dies, Rufus was able to quickly get popularity from the world. Rufus is charming and more confident than his father.

As AG said above, Rufus was trying to get rid of Sephiroth. Unlike his father, he didn't do much about Sephiroth.

I believe Rufus is the better president. Once Rufus father dies, Rufus was able to quickly get popularity from the world. Rufus is charming and more confident than his father.

As AG said above, Rufus was trying to get rid of Sephiroth. Unlike his father, he didn't do much about Sephiroth.
To be fair, though, Shinra himself didn't know that Sephiroth was actually a threat prior to his death.

Rufus was a more evil villain, without a doubt. However his predecessor was by far the better leader of a company.

Rufus of course.

Yes his father was a very ambitious man, blah,blah,blah. He created the company and all that, but couldnt stand up to a sword in the back. (who is he Aerith? He has the strength of a flower girl, even Tifa stood up against Sepheroths sword, and she was a kid!)

While Rufus lets you attack him with full strength while he laughs maniacally and lets his pet fight you. Rufus, you are cool.

Actually that's not a bad point. Rufus was able to withstand not only the brunt of Cloud's buster sword... but also a blast from Ultima Weapon. That's actually pretty impressive...

this thread does not debate Rufus phyiscal strength, as impressive as it is, it questions who ran Shina-ra better, and for that Rufus cannot compare to his father.

Well now that's a dumb argument. lol Better is an ambiguous term with absolutely no factual definition. It's all about opinion. Strength is a characteristic of a person and therefore could easily contribute to a person's opinion about a character. It's completely relevant. :/

In short, you can't argue that anyone's argument doesn't fall under the category of "who's better" as long as they are discussing the characters of the people themselves because "best" is such an undefinable condition.

I say Rufus. Even though Shinra built a massive company he was stupid enough to get killed, while on the other hand Rufus somehow found a way to survive an explosion. Shinra built the company, but Rufus found ways to use it's recources in a better manner than his father, like saving the world instead of sucking the life from it. And the argument of how midgar looked at the end of the game when Red XIII saw it from the cliff doesn't mean anything. please remember that it was 500 years later. I doubt Rufus lived even 100 years longer.

resources he would not of had if it wasn't for his father, his father also didn't go power hungry over some "promised land"

Shinra built the company up from the ground. Rufus just inherited it. While there is no argument that Rufus was a good president i somehow doubt he'd have had the patience to start a company from scratch. He's obviously the rich playboy type. Also consider that two years after meteorfall Shinra is still in ruins. Reno even says that they needed Cloud's help to rebuild Shinra. I think the original president would've rebuiilt the company immediately instead of sitting on his ass for two years.

Back