Best Unique Mage

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
For the purposes of this thread, I am omitting Black and White mages from possible choices. The four choices will be Red Mage, Blue Mage, Green Mage, and Time Mage. Which do you believe is the best mage class and why?

Definitions for each class are listed below to help members that may not be familiar with them all.

Red Mage
A jack-of-all-trades but a master of none. The red mage can use both white and black magic and deal decent physical damage. They are typically much more useful at lower levels than at higher levels, simply because they can never be as powerful as any single class they mimick. They can wear heavy armor but not the heaviest, cast spells... but not the top level ones. Even so, they are the only mage class of these four that can actually cast typical black/white magic spells.

Blue Mage
A mage class that has access to neither black or white magic but can cast the magic of beasts. Either by being hit by a beast's attack or by absorbing it from them, a blue mage can learn extremely powerful and varied magical attacks. Often time these spells carry multiple effects and are among some of the strongest in the game. Blue mages have also been known to have the ability to control beasts... but this does not appear to be a power of everyone in the class. They are of average physical strength.

Green Mage
A green mage cannot directly attack enemies with spells but instead use status effecting spells to weaken enemies and buff allies. Protect and poison, shell and silence, decoy and drain all are spells that fall into a green mage's realm of expertise. They are also some of the most physically powerful mages around and are usually equipped with a mace or other blunt weapon.

Time Mage
These special mages do not cast typical spells. Instead they cast spells that alter the reality of time and space itself. Haste, slow, stop, float, reflect, gravity, invisible, and x-zone... they're all time mage spells. Very few spells can directly damage or kill an enemy but a time mage's magic is usually the difference between life and death in battle. They are typically incredibly weak physically but have extremely high magical statistics.

It's all about the Blue Mage. Especially in FFV. They usually have spells that cover most elemental properties so can deal damage like a Black Mage, have cool healing magic to do the job of a White Mage, and generaly have cool looking magic that no other mage will get.

I think in V for me, it would it hve been time mage, yeah, time, it didnt have any attacks it could use until it leart Comet(?) which was good, I preffered that of them all, and Ive never seen a time mage before, all the haste stuff generally fell under white magic in other FF's Ive played

Blue Mage is also good, generally has everything and sometimes better than it's counterparrts (Big Guard etc) it's just annoying that you have to learn this shit from enemies, I guess Im kinda torn between Time and Blue then. Id say blue tips it just becasue it's easier to learn all the spells, the good stuff for B;ue mages is generally a bugger to get

Honestly i hate mages, they always die way too early in a battle and im left having to use all my phoenix downs to revive them.
From the above choices id probadly say time mage. Haste and slow are invaluable in tough battles and can decide whether or not your the victor.
Red mages i also like, especially early in the game like you said. They can heal you and finish off enemies with their black magic, however they really do suck later on.
Green mage? i cant even remember there being a green mage but from their abilities i wouldnt waste my time on them.

Red Mages and Time Mages are my faves. Red Mage cause its a balance of everything thing, sword and magic though it would be nice if it had access to the higher stuff, but oh wells.

Time Mages are great cause I am a big fan of time and space manipulation. Now if the FF series could make an offfical class that is like a time knight i'd be happy :3

I haven to go with a blue mage on this one! not because it's like gay or something like if he was on my be3d and said "want to suck me off big boy" or something ay.... but because I hthink they're the best. They can aast high level magic that none o f the oher four can. Red, Green, and time are all misimited to lower pelve attacks but not blue mage... they can deal evaery damage and typically do some posibtive buff to your characters. they may be difficult to acquire but they're alll around great mages... even though i'm not a fan of amages

Blue Mage.

I actually think more about Kimahri and Quina in this one as they learn their skills from enemies, but the set of Blue Magic is so variable that it covers almost all Black and White Magic anyway in some shape or form.

When a party needs healed, the Blue Mage can whip up a Healing spell that nails all characters, even if for a small bit of HP. Black magic mainly comes in the form of non-elemental magic, but it can deal a considerable amount to one enemy if focused on a sole fiend.

Back