character lowdowns

Timbo

Gil
hey umm this is probably been asked a gazillion times but, can you guys/girls give the lowdown on the characters. you know the good the bad, cause ima playin the game a 3rd time through now and i stil cant find that perfect party. so just things like whos good for what like being healer summoner and magical person i duno lol its realy gettin to how i cant get a good team.

Well my team is almost always Cloud, Tifa and Vincent.

I never really had a main healer, but I usually leveled Vincent with healing and Cloud and Tifa with other magic. Really Cloud and Tifa were my damage dealers with Vincent healing and becoming Chaos and his demons.

I've never really played with Cait because he's just a really bad character and is crap. I'd choose anyone but Cait.

I've never really had a different party except them three, so I can't really detail on every character. I had Aerith for some time when you had to have her and she was the best healer but I just didn't like her in the party...

Last edited:
my regular party is normally Cloud Nanaki and Vincent, for good reasons,

Cloud- stuck with him, and his hair is soooo gravity defying

Nanaki- He is such a cool character, he is awesum, looks great, cold personality, he is like a mercenary

Vincent- Chaos

i had vincent, barret, and cloud. none of them were my main healers as all of them had regen and cure and stuff. i used vincent and barret mainly for long range death (hehehe) and cloud could do 9999 damage crit at only level 75, so he was my best char.

I usually stuck with Cloud, Nanaki, and Cid.

I don't think I really had a main healer or mage character, and each of them were useful enough, though I really wished that I had alternated and used some of the other characters once in a while. At first, in place of Cid I used Aerith up to one point (you know which), then switched to Cid after that.

I always played with all of my characters but at the end I had Cloud, Tifa and Barret in my party.
Reasons:
Cloud - Final Limitbreak Omnislash >.> and he can't be removed really.
Tifa - Limitbreak and absolute Physical powers.
Barret - Final Limitbreak is awesomeness it's the best after Cloud's Limit.
As you can tell I'm not a magic dude >.> Reason why I didn't use Vincent mainly because I can't control his limitbreaks >.>

Up until Aerith dies later in the game she was my main healer in the party. I had to have Tifa because of her fists of furry and barret for his long ranger ability. There is vincent but because of a bad incident were i was stuck with him as the only character alive in my party in a fight with the green dragon and i used his limit break. Well i never used him again. So for the most part I only leveled up Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Barret and some times Yuffie and maybe on the occasion Vincent and some times Nanaki.

Cloud: Physical Attacker and Summoner.
Yuffie: Healer and Stat Enhancer.
Cid: I always like t see him smoke after battle... ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF TIMES!

wiked i think ima take cid he just seems like a wiked bad dude, who else would go well in the party ??

well if ur want a perfect team u need to the strength and weaknesses of everybody and this is what i think how good they are.

Cloud
Good - He's has great stats overall, one of the best physical attackers, and has some of the best limit breaks
Bad - He can't attack long range unless given materia and if u want him out of the party well that too bad because he never leaves except when he is in the coma

Barret
Good - He has one of the best defense in the team,great physical attack, good vitality, and can attack long and close range depending on the weapon, and some powerful limit breaks
Bad- Bad when it comes to magic, has bad dexterity, and has a few bad limit breaks

Tifa
Good - Excellent physical damage, limit break does massive damage, and decent dexterity
Bad - low defense, low vitality, cant attack long range without materia

Red XII/Nanaki
Good - Good vitality and good dexterity
Bad - nothing really bad about him except he cant attack long range without materia

Yuffie
Good - long range, great dexterity, and second best healer
Bad - low vitality. low defense. and low strength

Aeris
Good - Best healer, best with magic, and limit breaks is a support skill
Bad - bad defense, bad physical damage, can't attack long range, bad vitality, and limit breaks does no damage

Cait Sith (I believe that he's the worse character in the game)
Good - great vitality, decent physical attack
Bad - bad with magic, low defense,can't attack long range, low dexterity, and has the worse limit breaks

Vincent
Good - long range attack, great dexterity, great with magic, limit breaks increases all his stats except magic
Bad - low physical attack, low vitality, and no control over limit breaks

Cid
Good - overall good stats
Bad - nothing, except can't attack long range without materia

My best combo is most likely,
Cloud-Double cut when he does 9999 whew,not to mention, power
Tifa-One word Magic
Aeris;Awesome healer

AFTER aeris dies, if you have vincent use him

Vincent-Limits, ranged, magic

I never have set attackers and healers as such, but here is how i usually do it.

Cloud is obviously in your party. For this reason i like to set him up with a cure+all, to get a good bit of basic healing in if needed. At the beginning of the game, materia is limited to Cure, Fire, Ice, Bolt, and i usually make sure i have two people with Cure (just incase), and each with one of the other 3.
Once you get some decent supporting materia like sense, steal, etc, its good to have them active. If you need to take off a bolt etc for this still go for it coz a good sense is VERY important. If a boss only has 100hp left there isnt any point healing no matter how dire your situation is (and the same goes for the opposite)

Im not a harsh guy, but i dont really see the sense in using Aeris/Aerith, because she dies..... you should just train someone else, it makes sense, unless you really like her thats fine coz go for that.

However, later on in the game there are a few useful combos i use.....

There are a few materias which all work really well together,
Cover
HP Plus x2
Long Range
Counter Attack
Enemy Skill.

This combo encourages that one person to be attacked. They take less damage coz they will be in the back row, they will attack the same coz of longrange materia, the hp plus makes them lots stronger, they counter attack when attacked and can learn enemy skills. You can get all these quite early on.

Theres no point giving 6-7 HP pluses to one person (bought in Cosmo Canyon). Two each is max as they are expensive and grow quickly. Dont overload on summons coz they are only really useful in boss battles and they make you physically weak. Two each, dont bother with chocomog after you get a few coz it isnt that powerful...

Use BIO, i think RED XIII has it pre equiped when you meet him. A poisoned enemy is great!! Maybe join it with an ALL, makes LOTS of poisoned enemies. After a while you get ADDED EFFECT, join that with BIO and it poisons your enemies when you attack, very useful, no mp cost either.

Once you are well established there isnt really any point having all your people have FIRES etc. There are far too many materia types and precious few slots for that. Make sure each character has a few green attack types, one or two summons, and any ESUNA-like materia or BARRIER. I hardly use barrier because it doesnt last long enough, up to you though...

I dont use deathblow because its like 50-50 hit miss and you might aswell attack twice so i actually dont see the point in it...

You should probably use all the elite materia like double-cut and slash all,
ultima, knights of the round etc, as they make you very powerful.

You shouldnt need to know anything else, except dont equip NO GROWTH weapons or bangles. They arent really worth the extra damage or armor unless your materia is all mastered, its your call...

Good luck, good to know youre still playin!

forgot to say, i dont personally think it makes a huge difference who is in your party, its more what you do with them. DONT use Cait Sith, i think he's useless. some of his slot techniques are amazing but you cant count on them, and use aeris only if you like her, or if you like to take your time in battles.

I dont like to force people against Aeris, because she's a good character with a good story, but she is physically weaker and she does die which wastes a few hours of training....

Last edited by a moderator:
Cait Sith actually has high defence and vitality, and he basically acts like a big sponge when it comes to attacks. He also has quite good magic defence, but isn't very good at attacking. I like having two long range characters and Cloud. Yuffie is the best healer, apart from Aeris, and Vincent has quite good magic attributes, so I would go with those two. Barrier is useful until you get shield, so barrier+all, time+all and cure+all are good things on either character, but put cover & any counter attacks that you have. Contain is good too, if you have 2 and quadra magic, because you do contain+all and contain+quadra magic. Mass attacks. Easy battles. Job done.

Back