Cloud is an Emo

Depression is one thing - Cloud in AC MAY be depressed, but most depressed people don't go around talking constantly in a monotone voice, whining.
Cloud doesn't show emotion in his voice, so what? He's not talkative sally but that doesn't make him emo either.

And considering the whole of FFVII take place in about 2-3 months at most and she was absent for half of it, Aeris wasn't the love of his life anyway. They were interested in each other sure, but not in love. Tifa is much more the love interest in Cloud's life than Aeris - even though slightly one-sided.
The game takes place in a month and 2 weeks. The love part is up for debate. And your claim about Tifa is just an opinion, like mine. The point still stands, Aerith's death was what made him depressed, reticent, and close himself off from his friends. Hence his depression actually being depression and not just some act like what emos do.

And you people take things too literally.
What do you mean, "you people?"

If you ask an average person in the street what an emo is, it's fairly certain that they will say "Aren't those the moody kids who act depressed and melodramatic?"

Although they probably won't know what melodramatic means.
There you go.

Is Cloud melodramatic? No.
Is Cloud acting depressed? No.

He really is depressed, for good reasons, too. There's a difference from a rich spoiled kid acting depressed for no reason and a man who's lived through shit most people couldn't think of and then him becoming depressed after a multitude of bad situations get thrown at him all at once.

The whole point of Cloud's character is for him to NOT show any emotions. Hence him closing himself off and becoming an enigma to those around him. If he was some crybaby emo man, he would be CRYING about his problems to everyone over and over again. Does he? No. Instead, when Cloud faces depression/and problems he leaves and closes himself off, not showing any of his emotions.

Squall's more of an emo than Cloud could ever be.

The love part is up for debate. And your claim about Tifa is just an opinion, like mine.
Exactly, so I think I speak for everyone when I say, please let it stay on the LTD thread and the LTD thread only.

That goes for all. :ninja:

The point still stands, Aerith's death was what made him depressed, reticent, and close himself off from his friends.
Or it could be the fact that the only family he's ever known was slaughtered and he forgot about it, that he nearly brought about the destruction of the entire world and it'd be undeniably all his fault, that his one and true best friend died protecting him when he was too helpless to even talk right, and that he's been experimented on by a mad scientist so that he doesn't even know if he's human, and he also doesn't even know if his memories are even real, AND that he is, quite frankly, the only person that could stop Sephiroth -- hey, no pressure! -- well, that's a bit of a load to put on one person.

Compound all that jazz along with Aerith's death, then yeah, you got a pretty good reason for someone to be depressed.

But for all that, Cloud seemed to recover after he discovered the truth about what happened to him and reconciled with it by the end of the game. Did he still have shit to worry about? Certainly!

But in AC, he was truly depressed -- that's typically what leads up to suicide, so yeah. He had a lot of guilt complexes going on there, not to mention that he was dying from a fatal disease. I think the man has a right to be a tad upset.

The whole point of Cloud's character is for him to NOT show any emotions.
He's just a stoic. But that's what makes him so very appealing, for all his calm impassiveness, some of this shit he just can't so easily contain -- like motion sickness. 8D

Well it's like I said, one of the reasons Cloud is labeled an emo is because he isn't an overshadowing heroic kind of hero. Most heroes are invincible killing machines that could paint a watercolor mona lisa with their daily morning erections if they had to.

Cloud's just a defective experiment. :wacky:

But Cloud's always sad or moping about something. Poor Cloud, maybe someday Nomura will stop torturing him. :monster:

It's not really a bad thing though. I don't know why everyone is so quick to get defensive about it.

Well, characters should have problems and be wrenched through hell and back again. That's what makes following them through their story so much fun. :dave: In this, Cloud is a perfect character in every way!

In the game he is not.He is badass...I love game Cloud.

In the AC...I do think he is emo and weak and it doesn't even make sense since at the end of the game Cloud has forgiven himself but it's all undone for the sake of the movie.I don't really understand its purpose,although I watched the movie first and then played the game.But the movie doesn't do him justice...it's just so inaccurate,not only when it comes to Cloud but to the rest of the characters as well.I so hated some of Tifa's lines,she just seems so needy and clingy when she can just take care of herself.

Anyway,that's my thought.I think game Cloud is very tough and he hardly wines,he's just confused.

I entirely disagree with Cloud being an Emo.
I mean, he is emotional and shows it.. but.. he has a pretty good damn reason to be this way.
Squall may of had it harder then Cloud, come to say.
But.. it really isn't anyone's fault for what happens. It just.. happens.
They least expect it to happen. And then, in a flash, it happens. .___.

The thing that I hate most is.. when people look at you.. their always going to judge, if you like it or not..
And then when that non-word shows up, "emo", it's like.. their blaming YOU for what happened.. they blame YOU for being depressed.. and then they make fun of you for it >:c .

And then you ask yourself, "Why..?"

I'm not sure if my choice of words or my oppinion sounds right, right now.. but that's just what i've seen in life. :c

I highly doubt Cloud would feel this way. He has his reasons though, also..
So.. why do people even bother calling him an Emo without knowing the story..? .__.
Everyone has reasons.

I've always considered Cloud to be a badass that just doesn't usually like talking.

I pretty much agree with this post, although when i said it my post got deleted for some reason....

If Cloud just learned to trust more and confide more in his party members he would be a much happier guy than what he had become. Poor Tifa stands by him through thick and thin it's got to be hard on her.....

IMO Tifa should be the emo one, not cloud.

Your post was never deleted. It is still there, we read what you said.

I think what's going on here is the misinterpretation of the word "Emo" since the word was made up to classify a genre or prejudice of a group of people. The word emotional is very different though.

Cloud to me, never really showed much emotion in VII the game. If anything Red XIII and Barret did more of that than anything else. Cloud putting everything on himself was more of a commendable thing due to the his abilities with the use of Jenova cells and what not. He could do what others could not per se. It was a physical aspect, and him not actually talking about things to other people well that's just being stubborn in my eyes. I personally think he was just trying to do more understanding if it all since the man named Sephiroth (if you call him a man) had turned ex-soldier in the Zack days and started on the road to Genocide.

Aerith died of course, but to me blaming himself was pretty pointless. It just lead to more pain and frustration. He was a puppet at the time, and had no control over his actions thanks to Seph. To me he shouldered most of the problems because he didn't believe in anyone else. Think of it like this, if you were told your whole existence could of been fabricated due to Zacks memories (which never really made all that much sense to me), and that you were never Soldier 1st Class.. You might have been a test tube baby with cells and that also you had the hidden abilities that could kill people in a moments notice... well I don't know how much you would trust those around you. I think he was understanding it all and gaining trust, but then of course when Aerith died, he started to distrust himself once again since he had no ability to stop it.

Emo, not really. There were a bunch of cry babies in the game, but Cloud to me was sort of coming to grips with reality.

AC perverted FFVII quite a bit to be honest. I never truly cared for it. Way to emotional all the way around.

Agree

I have noticed this as well. Cloud is a total Emo.

He is always talking to himself (never understood that).

He prefers to be alone and away from most of the other characters in the FF7 story(especially in Advent Children where he just leaves entirely to go off on his "delivery serivice" bullshit)

He always reflects on the past and always thinks negatively about the things he did in the past.

Did I mention he talks to himself way too damn much?

Cloud isn't just 'an' EMO he's 'the' EMO

The problem with EMO is nobody really pulls it off and it usually ends up looking tacky and annoying.

But cloud looks damn good, and the guys got some serious shit going on in his past.

He's what every real life EMO wishes they were...its not his fault for setting such a trend I'm sure he was completely unaware of his impending affect on the world.

No, he's not emo.

His pesonality changes a lot, the only time you could call him depressed would be AC.

Of ocourse there is also an explanation for why he was the way he was in AC, just read Case of Tifa and the Reunion Files, they explain everything in AC.

Mostly his personality changes like this:

FFVII - A mixture of Cloud's and Zack's personality being controlled by S-cells. After the Lifestream Sequence, he regains his real personality, that is only Cloud.

AC - Cloud's usual personality, only depressed.

DoC - Cloud as he should be, without any disturbances.

No, Cloud is the stoic, quiet archetype, who still talks to his friends and cracks jokes. Not emo. Simply remember how Cloud was portrayed after the lifestream sequence before AC, and in DoC.

That's the "real" Cloud.

Meh. I think most of the people who simply label him as Emo (Not referring to anyone here btw) just do so because they're a bunch of wannabe tough-guys who think any man who shows just the slightest signs of real emotion or dare to get emotional for ANY reason is a big fat Emo. Quite frankly I don't think Cloud is an Emo in either AC or FFVII. He's anything but.

Lol. I think of that YouTube fella... Chris something when I think of 'emo'... All whiny, and really bitchy, I suppose.... And fairly close to the extreme. I don't think Cloud can really be considered 'emo'.. Hm

Cloud is far from an emo type character, he shows emotion just like any man would depending on the situation. If your pushed emotionally, you never know what you might show. Cloud has a big past in his mind, I find him a rather tough character who definitely is not emo :)

I don't think Cloud is a style of rock music typically characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics. I'm also pretty sure Cloud didn't originated in the mid-1980s since Final Fantasy VII didn't come out until 1997. =3

cloud is not emo, as said before, if you lost your friends ( to death most likely) wouldnt you be sad too, plus i also see him as the shy type, ( just like me) , so he is not emo

At the time VII begins Cloud has an incredible amount of suppressed trauma and this takes it's toll on Cloud more and more as the game progresses and only gets worse with the death of Aerith. Cloud has every reason to be angsty and insecure. For a lot of the game Cloud's mental state is unstable. Cloud isn't "just an emo" because he has a legitimate reason to be the way he is.

Plus Advent Children is about his redemption and moving on to live a normal life. That was pretty much his whole character arc.

No, don't you see? According to SE, the Cloud in AC is the one we're all familiar with from FFVII. You know, the dickless wimp who gives up on everything at the first sign of adversity?

Can you tell the difference? I sure can't...

No, don't you see? According to SE, the Cloud in AC is the one we're all familiar with from FFVII. You know, the dickless wimp who gives up on everything at the first sign of adversity?

Can you tell the difference? I sure can't...

Come on now, it's one thing to not like a character but "a dickless wimp"? Where'd you get that?

His love died and he's left with confusing feelings for his best friend, he was experimented with and deemed a failure, and yet he manages to save the world?

Come on now, it's one thing to not like a character but "a dickless wimp"? Where'd you get that?

His love died and he's left with confusing feelings for his best friend, he was experimented with and deemed a failure, and yet he manages to save the world?

First of all, Aerith wasn't his "love", but let's not open that can of worms.

How defeatist was Cloud in the original game? The only time he gives in is when Sephiroth literally takes his mind apart. After that, he embraces his past and moves on to settle the score with Sephiroth.

In AC, he has a family depending on him, but he just ditches them and doesn't even keep in touch because he's swamped with self-pity. You'd think the experiences he had in the OG would have made him stronger, but nooooo.... They had to reboot his character so we could go over his battle with Sephiroth all over again.

Back