Commonly mispronounced FF names

I prefer saying Tie-dus. Tee-dus sounds horrible lol. I know the way i pronounce it is wrong, but when i read the name somewhere, I automatically think Tie-dus. Can't help it.

I'm not sure if it's right, but with Vivi, I say "VIV-Vee"

I had a friend that could not pronounce Bahamut at all. he kept on saying "Bamma-HOOT". I guess he diddn't read the name correctly.

Quistis, i make out to be "Kwiss-tis".

Quistis is always a hard one for me kiss-tis for me pretty sure I'm saying it horribly wrong. As for Tidus my friend's name is Tidus so Tie-dus for me no Tee-dus especially because he freaks when I say it like that haha. And when I first got FF7 used to call Nanaki Red X-3 because at that time I have no idea what XIII was.

I will always stay loyal to the "Engrish" translation of the original Final Fantasy VII and call Aeris "Aeris". No amount of correction in all the bad spin-offs will ever make me call her "Aerith".

I think is the main one to pronounce wrong is Tidus but be be honest i prefer pronouncing it TIE-dus cos it's easier :lol:
Every other name iv'e had no problem with ^_^

The name where my tongue tripped over many times, was that of the first GF u get in FF8. Quetzacotl. My god fisrt I thought it was prnounced kwezacol. Then I saw the last T so it became kwesacotl. Beuh difficult mayan name ...

I asw that first time and thought....wot? Is pronouncuing it like that even right? That's how I say it too

Also Cait Sith, I've never known how the hell to pronounce that, so I just call it Kate Sythe. It's the closest thing it resembles and I just KNOW it's wrong xD

Seems like I'm the odd one out. ^_^; I'll probably always say "Tee-dus" just because I had just taken a year of Japanese before playing X and the pronunciations got kinda... ingrained into me. But one that I'll never go with is Lucrecia's name. It's always going to be "Lucreeshia", not "Lucretzia" like DoC likes to say. I cringed the first time I heard that and then began wondering where the hell the "t" and the "z" are in her name. They certainly don't stick a "t" in her name in the Japanese version and the only reason the "Z" sound is in there is because there's no "c" sound in the language.

General FF Pronunciations

How do you say mage? Moogle? Moomba? ... the list goes on. Every time I talk to another person about Final Fantasy, they have different pronunciations for the places I know and love in Final Fantasy. Busta and I discuss this quite a bit when we talk about the games.

For the word mage, he says m-ah-jjj when I say mmmm-age. For the word Burmecia, he says
brrr-men-see-ah when I say brrr-me-ah-see-ah. For the word Freya, he says Fr-I-ah when I say Fr-A-ah.

How do you pronounce these words and what others can you think of that might commonly be mispronounced?

After playing some of Final Fantasy Dissidia, am I the only one slack-jawed when how Zidane's name was pronounced was revealed?

All these years, I've referred to him as Zi-dane. It seems pretty straight forward with how it's spelled, but in Dissida his name is pronounced Zi-dawn.

Zi-dawn o_O

I admit that there's not much verbal basis to go on for his name prounociation, but seriously? Zi-dawn? Dx

After playing some of Final Fantasy Dissidia, am I the only one slack-jawed when how Zidane's name was pronounced was revealed?

All these years, I've referred to him as Zi-dane. It seems pretty straight forward with how it's spelled, but in Dissida his name is pronounced Zi-dawn.

Zi-dawn o_O

I admit that there's not much verbal basis to go on for his name prounociation, but seriously? Zi-dawn? Dx

On my first playthrough of FFIX I used to say "Zi-Dayne".

Eventually I changed my pronunciation when I heard some people talking about football and saying there was some dude called Zidane. It took me a while to realise that they weren't talking about a Final Fantasy football game.

Anyway from that point on I called him "Zi-Dan" just like that famous headbutting football dude.

The Dissidia pronouncing it as "Zi-Dahn" or "Zi-Dawn" seemed a little bit weird. I guess it's nearer to the "Zi-Dan" pronunciation than "Zi-Dayne" though.

Last edited:
I've always called Chocobo's "CHO-co-bos" with the emphasis on cho. My friend used to argue they were "cho-CO-bos" with the emphases on co. FFX put that debate to rest! Haha!

Ya know what I think? I think I will pronounce their names however I want to.

Tifa = Tee(like 'tea')-Fuh
Aerith = Air(that stuff you breathe)-eth*
Cait Sith = Kayt(like the name 'Kate')-Sith(like the Sith in Star Wars)
Sephiroth = Seh-fear(like the actual word 'fear' easy for me to remember cuz he's Sephiroth for crying out loud)-oth
Lucrecia = Loo-kreesh-uh (Vincent can deal with my mispronunciation, sry Vince I <3 U)
Yuffie = Yoo-fee
Quistis = Kew-iss-tiss
Rinoa = Rin(as in the word 'in')-oh-uh
Edea = Edd(like in 'Edward')-ee-uh
Zidane = Zid(like 'kid')-ayne(like 'rain')
Tidus = Tie(like an actual tie)-dus(like 'us')
Ifrit = If(like the word 'if')-ritt(like 'grit')
Quezacotl = Kweez-cot-uhl (bite me, it's supposed to be Quetzacoatl anyway but they are lazy and didn't fit all the letters in)
Ixion = Ix(like 'fix')-eon(like a measure of time)
And I have always said "Cho-cuh-boh" for Chocobo.
I could go on and on thru all the names that I likely mispronounce.

*She will always be Aerith to me since that was her originally intended name. I always rename her back to Aerith when I play. (Even tho she dies so epically anyway)

And ya know, I really don't care if I pronounce it wrong. I make my own FF pronunciation dictionary, tyvm.

Ugh, I hated it when they said TEE-dus in Dissidia. I was like NO! It's Tye-dus... And Zidane... that was pre-tty awful too. *Shakes head* What are they thinking when they pronounce the names for the first time? 'How can we make this cool character horrible...'

Back