Creating a fantasy

Neonspec

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Hey guys. I'm making this topic because i want to see what kind of FF game you would create if you got the chance.

Here are the things you need to include if you respond:

1. Theme of the game. E.g love or revenge.
2. Sci Fi or Fantasy.
3. Unique gameplay features.
4. Type of battle system.
5. Energetic or quiet main character.
6. Length of the game.
7. Type of villain. E.g Cold or missunderstood.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:
I can guarantee you this my friend... This is a "hit or miss" kind of thread, depending on the forum you're on. I've tried this on numerous occasions elsewhere and either no one wants to share their ideas (or simply make jokes) or on those rare occasions, some folks will want to share... So, good luck.

1. I don't want any specific "theme"... I want it to cover all angles. Nevertheless, if I had to choose a main idea, it would be that things are never really black nor white and that, depending on the point of view, that can even apply to the concept of good and evil.

2. I would obiviously go for a more fantasy setting... for this is Final Fantasy ^_^

3. There would be so many... I'll have to get back to you on this one.

4. I would go back to the good ol' turn-based style of battle.

5. The quiet one is always better in my eyes... but there would be so much more to him.

6. Frankly, I would want the game to be as long as it possibly could... Realistically speaking though, I think an RPG that lasts between 80-100 hours is good enough. Of course, you have to include all the sidequests and such.

1. i would have a few themes, war, and probably self-discovery for the main character. also love blended in, as perfectly as IX did.

2. a setting resembling IX, not too modernized with castles and knights, but also airships to mkae sure things arent too ancient.

3. yeah, way too many to type.

4. the turn based battle system, very similar to FFVII.

5. somewhere in the middle, as i wouldn't want someone emotional and to himself like squall, but i also wouldn't want someone like tidus that talks too much and whines.

6. i looove long games, so at least 50+ hours (not including side quests or training).

Last edited:
Thanks for responding guys. I'm adding something else so i will put it in my 1st post.

Type of villain. E.g. Cold or missunderstood.

1.) Theme of the game: War and romance, that's the basic thing that clinches whether I enjoy the game or not. Romance basically creates a great story around it as it goes, and also provides some much emotion drama to the plot as to suck you into the game farther and farther.

2.) Sci-Fi, Fantasy, it doesn't really matter.

3.) I don't know what to put in here, to be honest.

4.) ATB, it's classic.

5.) Quiet main character, because I tend to identify with those characters more (I sound a bit selfish).

6.) Length of game should be more than a week's worth of gameplay! A monster plot is what I want. But of course, the story would have to compensate by having less sidequests. :P

7.) Type of villain? Evil. I don't care whether he's misunderstood or whatever else, as long as he's so evil everyone wants to defeat him in one way or another.

Theme: Definitely war, both politically as well as religious in nature, with a well done mixed in element of romance.

Sci-Fi or Fantasy: Both! Although this tends to be grouped into the same genre.

Unique gameplay features: Several alternate endings… (Not really all that unique though).

Type of battle system: A mix of VIII’s and XII’s battle systems. One that makes full use of GF’s as VIII’s junction system did an excellent job of as well as a mix of XII’s newer active dimension battle system.

Energetic or quiet main character: A quiet, wise, mature and easy going main character. (Auron).

Length of the game: Long, much longer that previous titles.

Type of villain. E.g Cold or misunderstood: Cold & Evil, with a hint of Megalomania.

Theme: Love, Friendship, and War.
I think a great story has a subtle mix of the three. The backdrop of the story would bear a disheartening arrayal of sorrow and war. Friendship is the most important factor in the story. The friendships that develop between your characters and the common people will be the ultimate deliverance from the strains of war. The love that develops between "him" and "her" would be a deep but unspoken bond that hides behind the true object of the adventure: the pursuit of happiness for the world.

Theme II: Fantasy
Science Fiction and fantasy can be easily compared to different forms of art. Science fiction is the more contemporary and generic form of writing; it's more visionary and hypothetical. Fantasy is practically the alter ego to sci-fi; it's the more imaginative, and aesthetic form of expression which is harder to envision, yet easier to appreciate.

Gameplay features: More goodies, less practicalities
I don't think that it's highly necessary for games to have exact precision when it comes to science and nature. Let there be waterfalls in the sky, and rainbows at night. Things that are not possible in real life are all the more intriguing to the viewer. Misplaced locations, overly dramatized magic spells, and more colorful people and places...It's imagination at it's best.

A good game has a unique developmental system. FFVIII actually had a good concept going with item refinement, but it was too simple. Collecting rare items, magics, and weapons through highly difficult side quests and missions is the ultimate pleasure in my opinion. But when you collect these rare articles, and you have nothing to do with them...it's hard to feel accomplished.
I think a unique touch would be a dash of creative alchemy. Random combinations of items and materials could provide your characters with enhanced weapons, magic spells, boosted stats, and more ornate armor and accessories. And of course...the best goodies come with the more harder to obtain articles.

Battle System: ATB and real time; a combination
You have the ability to move your characters around the battle field via the touch of a button. Press Square in accordance with the directional pad and you can move your characters freely across the field. Press the Triangle button to access your inventory, and the Circle button to access your spells.
You may choose to allow the computer to initiate (physical) attacks for you by selecting the option titled "automatic" under the battle configure screen. You may choose to partake in real time battles by selecting "manual" under the battle configure screen. There's no difference in the damage dealt under either the manual or automatic settings; it's just for personal preference. Regardless of the setting, you cannot initiate magic and special commands under the automatic setting.

The Main Character: Hero
Too many games have lead characters who are uncertain of their actions, or who rely on the rest of the cast to point them in the right direction. Why have a leader like that? That's not very leaderly at all, if you ask me! A good leading roll is a hero; whether it's an act, or a true virtue. He never gives his team the idea that he's uncertain or afraid, and he never shows his fears. His team mates and friends are his source of confidence, but not his pedestal of strength.

Length of the game: it is what you make it
A good game is loaded with lots of options. If you want to finish the game in under 20 hours, then TOO BAD; that's not one of your options, but not unfortunately. If you were to rush through skipping every possible side quest and extra missions, you might finish the game in under 60 hours. It's loaded with a deep, and meaningful plot, hence the long and necessary game play which leads to completion.
The side quests make up about 40% of the game. Too many side quests makes the quest feel hopeless for those of us who are aching for the 100% completion mark. There are over 50 additional side quests, each of which takes between 45 minutes to 2 hours to complete. Including hidden dungeons which lead to extra bosses, and mini games which allow you to obtain special items and materials.

The Villain: has a true purpose
You shouldn't go through the entire game misunderstanding the villain. You may spend a good 10-20 hours wondering wtf he's up to and which side he's on, but before you reach the halfway mark, you'll definitely know what you're dealing with. The villain has a true purpose; he isn't misguided or confused. He knows what he's capable of, and he knows how to use, abuse, and manipulate the characters.

Last edited:
Back