Did Bartz really have a personality?

Bartz had character.. or character flaws to be more specific.. he is afraid of heights and that brings up an interesting point i think.. how did he get away from his hometown on an island surrounded by mountains if he doesnt like heights it makes no sense.. he was definitely slow taking him 3 times to realize where they were going and what they were doing.. and yes some would wonder if he's not a little light in the loafers after getting aroused by "boy" faris.. but who can blame him after the messed up childhood he had what with his mother dyeing and then his dad wisking around the world all the while lying about his true identity.. i think i'd b a tad odd too.. and galuf may have been the best part of that game and then they go and kill him off what the F*** is that about.. which brings me 2 my next point after galuf dies Bartz is travelling around with not 1, not 2, but 3 ladies.. coincidence i think not.. i think the creators realized their major upset with a poorly created main so they made Bartz into a PIMP lol..

Bartz is travelling around with not 1, not 2, but 3 ladies.. coincidence i think not.. i think the creators realized their major upset with a poorly created main so they made Bartz into a PIMP lol..

I would like to be Bartz more than any other FF-hero. Who wouldn´t want travel just with ladies although there are few problems. Carlie/Krile/ Galufs granddaughter is underaged. Faris is not so hot because she is so masculine. Lenna would be only hottie.

i saw personality in bartz just like in every character of final fantasy, some people just dont look hard enough, out of all of them, he was my fave character and at times he was funny. so yes he did have one, to me anyway

Bartz had a vague personality IMO.

Gilgamesh on the other hand was better in personality... to bad we can't use him; would've been great.

to me, his name will always be Butz (in the version i played that was his name, don't ask)...and my respect for the character just instantly drops.

And dissapoint does he not. turns out he's just some average joe, maybe with a few swordie skills, but stereotype at best. he's one of the FF worst developed lead character imho.

I always viewed him as a player avatar, so to speak. Why else would he be the leader of your party, instead of the amnesiac old man, who has seniority, or the princess and the pirate leader, who have authority on their side?

Regardless, the fact that they managed to give him a back story that actually involves his parents, and that by the end of the game he has an Accidental Harem, he does well, really.

Considering that V was weaker than IV and VI in terms of character development(but it made up for it with the excellent gameplay, Exdeath, and Gilgamesh, of course), I guess it can be forgiven though.

No, Bartz is not well developed -- he is not supposed to be. As said before, he is a proxy for the player. Square had just finished an EPIC story in IV, that was relatively light on the gameplay aspect: You gained abilities/spells as you leveled up, and that was that. It was very linear. I think in V, square wanted to create a "game for gamers" which was heavy on the gameplay, and lighter on the story. It is a fun sort of FF, one that constantly breaks the third wall, and laughs at itself (the laughing animation for each character is great.) It is the game of Gilgamesh, Jackole, and Fwa Ha Ha. And, as to the somewhat offensive comment above about Bartz and Galuf's sexuality, that too was meant to be funny. It is a game that recognizes itself as a mode of entertainment, and refuses to take itself too seriously.

You do realize that the characters share same Job same Ability and almost exactly same stats, FFIV and FFVI by far has better character development than FFV, but the problem here is since the characters are so closely related, it would only be strange if Bartz stand out don't you think?

ill give you an example:
  • Bartz is super cool he is more better than anyone in the party lets give him a main character only Job!
  • Bartz is so cool lets give him the main character only ability!
  • Bartz is so cool lets give him some weapon that only he can use!
  • Bartz is so cool lets give him some magic that only he can cast
don't you think this would just make FFV -> FFVI or FFIV? I mean yeah cool give Terra Ultima Weapon and give Cecil Ragnarok...

the only thing that made FFV unique was almost every characters are almost the same, and if you paid attention in game you will see that almost every character are equally as important, Galuf being the King, Lenna and Faris being Princess Bartz and Krile being the descendant of the Warriors of Dawn

I believe all the characters in FFV are fine the way it is, FFV character development does suck i admit but i like FFV the way it is, because if FFV changed then FFV wont be FFV anymore and i mean why don't i just other FF series if i want better character development? FFV did not give Bartz better character development because I believe they want to make the game more even, thats just my personal feeling.

EDIT: by the way the FFVA has much better character development for every character, Bartz and Galf is actually funny in FFVA Faris is actually not too bad, Lenna.. well yeah shes there lol..

oh and...

Bartz had character.. or character flaws to be more specific.. he is afraid of heights and that brings up an interesting point i think.. how did he get away from his hometown on an island surrounded by mountains if he doesnt like heights it makes no sense.. he was definitely slow taking him 3 times to realize where they were going and what they were doing.. and yes some would wonder if he's not a little light in the loafers after getting aroused by "boy" faris.. but who can blame him after the messed up childhood he had what with his mother dyeing and then his dad wisking around the world all the while lying about his true identity.. i think i'd b a tad odd too.. and galuf may have been the best part of that game and then they go and kill him off what the F*** is that about.. which brings me 2 my next point after galuf dies Bartz is travelling around with not 1, not 2, but 3 ladies.. coincidence i think not.. i think the creators realized their major upset with a poorly created main so they made Bartz into a PIMP lol..

LOL!

Last edited:
Huh. I never really thought about the height thing. AND He ends up flying an airship and says it's awesome. Also, there is a scene at a pub where he DOES get a little...Pimp. DX

I think he had personality and I actually quite liked him as a character.
He was acting stupid most of the time and yet was cool at the most critical moments.

I liked Galug more, but Bartz is great as well IMO.

Of course he had personality! He's a little goofy, sweet, caring and funny! He's quirky as well.

You can clearly see his personality throughout the whole game...

(P.S FFVI and FFV are my fav FF titles :P)

Is playing FF5 right now and just passed " The Battle on the Bridge " bit a few weeks ago and reckon that he does have a persona..

:- He's a little slow though sometimes he does surprise you by saying something smart..

:- Totally Goofy and kinda awkward

:- Happy and cheerful though deep inside he feels depressed over his Dad's death..

:- Sometimes a little cold and sarcastic

:- Is damaged by his past..

Bartz had a personality. Maybe it wasn't so defined as some of the other protagonists of the series, but it was definitely present. He reminds me a lot of Zidane (a connection that Dissidia really portrays as well). He's adventurous, positive, considerate, and sometimes even a bit slow. While on the inside, he's pretty deep, often contemplating his father's wishes and reviewing his decisions (remember when he woke and had that scene with Zok?). In this way, and others, he can be a surprising kind of guy.

He also went through a bit of maturing into a courageous figure in the game. He stood up to Ex Death on quite a few occasions when the others couldn't.

So, maybe his personality wasn't as developed or explored as some of the other protagonists, but he had one nonetheless.

Last edited:
For some reason, I picture Bartz having some daddy issues since his dad practically abandoned him to fight of ExDeath but I did not really see that in the game. If it had been like IV and VI, that would have been expanded upon. Well, I like his character as he isn't some guy with a past that he is an average joe that just got caught up in the adventure and he just wants to help his new friends.

Last edited:
He is plain for the most part all right, but I think he has some subtle personality traits like some suggested here. In early parts of the game those are not shown, but gradually as the game progresses you start noticing them. First of all, he is a good team player. He always wishes to help out and to protect others. I mean with someone like Locke from FFVI it's more obvious since he says it out loud, but Bartz is more shy and so it's harder to spot such a trait. He also seems to be rather curious of things. Like someone said before me, he is kind of slow and needs to re-ask everything that's been said (especially funny his convos with Ghido), but despite him being slow, he keeps questioning things till he gets them.

I'm playing though FF VII right now, and I'm finding alot of similarities between Cloud and Bartz, they both are quiet heroes that have there sarcastic and funny sides. I think Cloud may be a little more calculating though

I'm playing though FF VII right now, and I'm finding alot of similarities between Cloud and Bartz, they both are quiet heroes that have there sarcastic and funny sides. I think Cloud may be a little more calculating though

I personally disagree with this. Bartz is a comedian. All the way through the game (
Up to Exdeath's defeat of Galuf.
). But he doesn't change much in the time after the event.

Cloud starts as a rather whiny person (Crisis Core)
Becomes serious, but proves he can have character (Final Fantasy 7)
But after he falls into the the lifestream, he becomes quieter & more calculating, as you said.
Post-FF7 > Advent Children: Cloud randomly turns emo, rather emotionless & slightly clichéd.

Imo, Cloud never bears a resemblance to Bartz.

:- Is damaged by his past..

In short, yes, but that doesn't mean that he's 'damaged' as such. He constantly talks about how his dads dying wish was that he travelled the world. In truth he speaks of that in a decent manner, without distaste or such.

I'd have to say that he was affected by his past, but not damaged. Damaged pasts are more like Golbez & Cloud.

Mod edit: Please do not double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Bartz but he is an idiot who got lucky enough to go on an adventure with 3 chics with only an old man as competition

I like Bartz but he is an idiot who got lucky enough to go on an adventure with 3 chics with only an old man as competition

Aww, be fair. Bartz was goofy, but not an idiot. The old man honestly wasn't too old if he could survive a meteorcrash and...would you REALLY refer to Faris as a chick? Srsly? XD

Back