Dragon Books

Addis Hellfire

Black Mage
Gil
I am shocked to announce that I don't know very many books with dragons in them. I mean, dragons as the MAIN character. I am tired of dragons mentioned, or being the villan and slain by heroes. I want a book actually about the dragon itself. Prefurably, without a rider lol. Anybody know any?

Last edited:
-Title fixed-

Let's see...

There's Dragon's Domain, where all the main characters are dragons, but humans are also included.

Then there's Dragoncharm, the first book in the Ultimate Dragon Saga trilogy, sequels being Dragonstorm and Dragonflame.

Well, the book I'm writing has Dragons as main characters. As a matter of fact, the main character is a Dragon...of sorts XD

See, he's part human. He's also part Dragon, part Kariyu-Shina, and part Allsie. Allsie and Kariyu-Shina are aliens. So are Dragons.

According to my book, the Dragons migrated to earth from Allsieda/Draconia. The main character of my book, Jacob King, is descendant of these Dragons. As a result of his mixed bloods, he can transform into a Dragon at will.

His biology is fascinating, and defies all logic. However, taking his biological processes into account, it becomes logical.

I know, wierd :wacky:

You won't see to many Dragon books because of several reasons. Chief among these is because Humans cannot relate to Dragons; they are just too narrowminded to be able to see from their perspective. Another big reason is because Humans are forever deluded as to the idea that Dragons are evil. Why? Because they look evil. So, humans go and kill all the Dragons.

Note that the Dragons never initially attacked the humans, always the other way around. That sad excuse for a Dragon in The Hobbit...that was pathetic. That's not what Dragons are like.

So, now that I've done my rant...

Last edited:
Hmm well by far my favourite, which i havent seen mentioned are Eragon and Eldest. These are both great books. Also, I think Inkspell and Inkheart are dragon tales too. Hope this helped ^^

I would highly suggest Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede for starters. It's the first in the series and it's really funny. Totally just puts everything in fairy tales on it's ears.

As a coincidence, I am working on a graphic novel/comic book about a dragon who goes about as a foul mouthed little girl. (I made this up BEFORE ever playing or hearing anything about FFVI's Relm, BTW).

If you are into the Warcraft universe at all, you might like Richard A. Knaak's War of the Ancients trilogy or his other Warcraft book Day of the Dragon. Both of those have the dragons playing a major part in the plot, and one of the main characters Korialstraz/Krasus is a red dragon. It will probably be a bit lost on you if you are not also a Warcraft fan though.

Hmm well by far my favourite, which i havent seen mentioned are Eragon and Eldest. These are both great books. Also, I think Inkspell and Inkheart are dragon tales too. Hope this helped ^^
Inkheart and Inkspell have almost nothing to do with dragons. It's about a little girl and her father who have the ability to read creatures and such out of books. At least, I don't remember a dragon. >_< They're wonderful books all the same, though.

As for dragon main characters, there is a book called 'Dragon Rider'. It's about humans who are basically stretching over the lands, and not giving dragons room to live. The main dragon character has to go find a fabled 'dragon haven' type place, so his tribe can survive.

Other series, of course, is Eragorn. Saphira is quite awesome! I can not WAIT to get my hands on the third book. ^_^

And as for dragons being characteristically evil.... it's like people, it just depends from person to person, or in this case, dragon to dragon. They're just usually 'evil' 'cause humans bother them, and humans cannot understand them.

In the Dragonlance series there is some people who can transform to and from dragons. Alot of books have dragons in them. Tolkien, Feist, DL.. heaps.

I think the reason for this is, it's just easier for humans to write books about humans. Humans have human qualities, strengths, weaknesses, intelligence, etc. Some authors just don't want to give these to creatures.

Back