Euro 2008

charliepanayi

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Thought I'd set up a thread for the impending European Championships in Austria and Switzerland. Predictions, thoughts etc?

I'm going to go for France, which is admittedly sticking my neck out a little considering the very evil group they are in. But I think they have a strong team and I've discounted the other teams for the following reasons:

Spain and Holland - always implode
Italy - often implode, rarely have two good tournaments in a row.
Portugal - don't think they're quite strong enough overall
Czech Republic - good but I think their best chance was four year ago where they were probably unlucky against Greece
Germany - possibly the strongest threat to France, and have the easier half of the draw. One concern is I'd like to see how they do on foreign soil this time, being hosts in 2006 would have boosted them a bit. I think they're a good bet though.

Switzerland could be dark horses for me. I'll be just happy for Greece if they can make it to the quarters this time. Defend your title with honour guys! There could be another surprise a la Denmark in 1992 or Greece in 2004 but I'll go for France.

Frankly I can't wait. Bring it on!

I'll agree with those Czech and German predictions. I'd say a Germany - France final is most likely.
Czech Republic get far too much credit these days after a good few years, quite a few years back. They have a few decent players (Rosicky, Cech, Ujfalusi, Koller, Grygera) but they aren't a strong enough team to challenge the likes of France, Spain, Italy and Germany.

However, I always say Holland are going to win when it comes to a major tournament and I'm always wrong. If I stick with my prediction I'll be right one day. This year they look out of the odds by a long shot, but the favourites are always trounced by the underdogs so I'm not changing my tune this year.

I predicted Holland to win the last World Cup and they messed up big time in that farce (I mean match) against Portugal in the last 16. I can't trust them this time round!

Portugal might not make it as far this time since they don't have a glorified bye against England.
I kid, I kid.

I'd personally go with Spain or Holland if we were talking about quality of the overall squad but I'd much prefer to see the Czechs take it. As long as France or Italy don't win the thing in the end I'll be happy.

I think France and Germany have strong sides respectively and they both have a decent chance of winning the whole competition, but I really wouldn't like to see either of them lift it when it's all said and done.

It will be interesting to see if either Spain or Holland can make it to the quarter finals...

I want Spain to win it to be honest, although I wouldn't mind if Portugal do. I just generally like the Spanish players (Torres mainly :wacky:) and on paper they have a strong squad, they just fail to deliver...but Torres has a an amazing season in the Premiership so hopefully that will have given him confidence.

I'd say Portugal are going to be difficult to beat, albeit I think it all comes down to how Ronaldo plays.

Whoever beats Italy gets my vote to be honest.....or maybe Croatia :wacky:

Overall I'd like Spain to win, i think they have a great team and deserve something to show for it.

I don't really care about this years Euro tournament considering the fact of the two teams i normally route for in International tournaments fell in the group stage (England and Republic of Ireland)

I'm putting my suport behing Spain and Italy for this tournament. I really don't want France or Germany to win it. :wacky:

the two teams i normally route for in International tournaments fell in the group stage (England and Republic of Ireland)

Ugh, don't remind me...

Anyone care to recap?

I couldn't watch Groups A through C and I missed the Spain-Russia matchup 'cause of 'other commitments'. :wacky:

I'm watching Sweden vs. Greece though.

Blasted Holand they beat Italy 3 to 0 :gasp:
I don't want France or Germany wins

I think 3-0 was an unfair result on Italy. They certainly didn't play badly, but similarly weren't the better team. I think a 2-1 result would have been fairer, especially considering that van Nistelrooy was about a yard offside for the first goal.

The Dutch or the Spaniards have been the most impressive side so far. The passing that Spain were managing before was beautiful, and David Villa fully deserved his hat-trick. Still backing Holland as winners though.

How wonderful it feels after we (Sweden) defeated Greece with 2-0. I was pretty nervous before the game, but Greece was never really close, IMO.

Zlatan Ibrahimovics goal was truly something to enjoy. Henrik Larsson is still good enough on this level.

I think that either Holland or Spain will win Euro 08.

Yeah I'm Greek Cypriot and I was very disappointed by Greece today, I expected a lot better. Great goal by Ibrahimovic too.

Spain or Holland to win it? I still think both area little too prone to messing it up in the latter stages, it takes more than a good start to win a tournament. But they've both set good markers for sure.

I can't believe how crap the Russian Defense is. Spain just ploughed through them...

To be fair to them, Torres and Villa managed 58 goals between them this season, and from what I saw last night they have an excellent understanding of one another. That looked like a deadly partnership. Plus, the Russian midfield was almost non-existent whereas the Spaniards were knocking inch-perfect passes around. They were simply outclassed everywhere on the pitch.

I'm predicting a 2-0 Portugal win, and Switzerland to take a point from the Turks. 1-1 there.

To be honest I'd like to know why Luis Aragonés is still the Spanish manager? He's racist and quite clearly he should have had Fabregas on from the start. Albeit, Spain probably have the strongest pairing up front if they play well. Zlatan's goal was sublime especially how cleanly he took the shot, goes to show that the best players don't have to do much in a game yet still influence it so much.

As for Switzerland, well, what a harsh way to knock out the hosts. >_<

Aragones is leaving I think after the tournament. He'll be replaced by Vincente Del Bosque, who did really well a few years back with Real Madrid.

I must have been mad predicting France to win this competition! Great save by Buffon earlier to keep Italy in it as well.

The goalkeepers have been the highlight of a lot of the games so far. Buffon, Boruc, Pletikosa, Van Der Sar, Lobont and Lehmann have all been playing on top form. I wouldn't be surprised if Pletikosa and Lobont were brought to the Premiership next season.

I think Gary Linekar and co were bang on saying that France have lost all creativity without Zinedine Zidane. Other than Gallas and Govou, the France team are pretty dire right now.

I would say that presuming the Netherlands win this game, if they lost to Romania in their last game then France and Italy would both be out whatever happens in their game - maybe the Dutch will lose on purpose XD

Also if the Czech Republic and Turkey draw their game on Saturday, then they'll have to have a penalty-shoot out to decide which of them makes the quarter-finals!

And as I typed this post, first France made it 2-1, then the Dutch made it 3-1! XD

Back