[FFVII] Levelling

jnd89

SOLDIER First Class
Gil
Whats your best way of getting your Party to lvl90+?

Do you need advice or do you want to share how you levelled?

Be a little more specific please

Last edited:
Bit of both, Im currently at lvl67 on Cloud, with the others not that far behind, And up to the bit where Im ready to face Sephy at the end, but of course I'd like to get higher in levels first.

At the moment all i'm doing is running around in the northern crater getting random battles to try to level up, but after a while it becomes repetitive and, dare i say it, boring.

Im not starting the game again, concentrating on my levels.

Last edited:
Ok, I was gunna stick this in the help booth but I guess people can share there levelling advice in here aswel

I levelled up in the crashed Gelnika, you can get quite abit of exp and AP from the monsters in there

There are also magic pots if you give them elixers in the northern crater, although I have never tried this because I havent played the game since I learnt this, but apparently they give a fair bit of exp

Magic Pots? Which ones are those? thats news to me lol

On second thoughts, Il put this in the help booth afterall xD

They are littel creatury things that are in pots, one of these guys;

magicpot7-b.jpg

you can't kill them in the conventional way. You gotta give 'em elixers

-moved-

Last edited:
Ahh, havent spotted them yet, thanks Bambi!

Anyone else got tips for levelling?

the sunken gelnika is a good place to level up. not only do the monsters give nice AP and EXP, but if i remember right all the monsters in there can also be morphed into a source of some description so you can raise your stats like that aswell

ere, this is more of a power leveling tip and you need to acqiure some high level stuff like 6, yes thats right 6, EXP materia from the gold suacer im not sure but i think 1 star = 50% + EXP and 2 stars = 100% and by equipping 2 of these at one time on ur active characters tit will increase to 200%

The best place to level up would be the swampy area in the Northern Crater. You'll find enemies such as the Magic Pots (mentioned earlier), Mover (enemies that give large amounts of AP; 300 each to be exact) and other high ranking enemies.

However, the enemies down in the Sunken Gelinka give good EXP, but the enemies often drop stat increasing items like Power Sources. Over time, this should benefit you greater than the swampy area stat-wise.

Make sure you equip EXP Boost to all three of your party members when training.

Make sure you equip EXP Boost to all three of your party members when training.

Where can you get EXP Boost?

I do intend to go back to VII and get past level 90, but I finished the game at level 65ish and still found the final bosses incredibly easy.

You can buy EXP Plus Materia at the Golden Saucer for 2000 GP. The EXP percentage increases as the level of the Materia increases. If you find it difficult to gain GP, you can buy some off a man in the very first area of Golden Saucer (the man will appear in the top right hand corner 10% of the time). However, you have a limit on how much you can buy. Alternatively you could practise the Basketball game until you can shoot it consecutivly.

Definitely equip the EXP Boost, and I agree with everyone who says to train in the Sunken Gelnika, or something like that. They can be morphed into different sources so you can raise your stats, which is very helpful. In the marsh area there are these little red dots, I don't remember what they are called, but when you kill them you get like 300 AP or something like that. Also I believe you can morph Tonberries into elixers, and they are all over the place in the crater.

The Gelnika for sure. Just run around in there-- I grew most of my Materia to 'Master' that way (Equip a triple growth weapon and your golden.)

The Magic Pots are also great, as mentioned. They are in the vine-y area of the Northern Cave-- when you run into them, don't attack 'em. After a bit of time, they will say "Gimme Elixir!" Throw an Elixir or a Megalixer at them and continue the fight (you can steal back the Elixir, too.)

Depends, heres what I usually do:

60-70: for pure exp your much much better of in the sunken gelkinda, every mob here gives great xp and a good bonus to materia growth, you want to try make sure most of your characters are 9999 hp and have a couple of master materia equiped by lvl 70 (easily achievable goal)

70+ the best way to start this part off is by going after and finishing off (if you have not done so already) ultima weapon and getting your triple growth weapons from the forest, the next fight...make sure you are prepared, you have your best gear equiped and your ready for pure exp....

take on emerald weapon, its more than possible at this level (I recommend equiping your most powerful weapons and equiping zeidrichs if you have them handy and using as little materia as possible in this fight as aire tam storm does damage based on the amount of materia you are carrying +1000, so for 3 materia equiped on cloud, he will take 3000 damage which will be halved by the zeidrich band, making it a mere tickle at 1,500)

when you beat him this will jump you up at least 4-5 levels on each character....

now head to the swamp area in the northern crater and kill everything you come across (the 3 flames are better than the magic pots as they are much more common, but always be ready with an elixir when they pop up)

level as much materia as you can to master, then head back to the sunken gelkinda, by this point you should easily 1-2 shot every mob you cross and will level up very fast....

once you reach 90, its time to take on ruby weapon...

make sure you are once again prepared and equiped for this fight as it will be very tough, but worthwhile as before with emerald, once you beat him theres another 4-5 levels of exp to obtain for the kill.

after ruby is defeated, head back to the gelkinda and finish off the hike to 99 and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done :)

Back