final fantasy abomination

for me it is the sudden 'westernising' (pretend thats a word) of the newer FF games. Instead of keeping the FF games how they were with minor tweaks...they went and created that abomination that is FFXIII which had nothing in common with any of the older FF games besides pretty characters, it isn't worthy of an FF title.

Stop trying to copy the western RPGs SE, stick to what you know and do best, turnbased FF RPGs :)

Funnily enough, the only way you'll play a "raw" game with no twinks is to buy one straight from Japan.

With XIII, i don't think it was westerners that spured SE to build the game like they did, i think they were just getting too over-confident in their game-creating abilities, afterall, they have pretty much made over 10 turn-based RPG's.

All in all, what i'm trying to say, is that they've been making turn-based for so long that they completely fucked up when they went to try make something different in terms of mechanics.

Whininess.

All of the FF's have those moment where someone gets really whiny for some reason, and it always pisses me off. FFX especially. It seems like all Tidus does is whine whine whine, and it doesn't really serve a purpose other than to make him annoy the hell out of me, which he does successfully.

I wouldn't call this an "abomination", but any spinoff's/Sequels seem to always do worse than the orginal games, anytime I see a sequeal or prequel I seem to get nervous about the game, cause it never seems to live to the hype of the orginal game.

Bad or rushed writing/translating. I play FF mostly for the story and sometimes a character just says something that completely throws me off. Barret was a culprit of this in VII because of his jive talk.

You know while FF had its serious moments, it never took itself seriously and it even laughed at itself sometimes. The FFXIII took itself somewhat too seriously epsecially with all the melo drama in the story and the dialogue. It felt like some anime game, not a FF game.

The one thing that gripes is the music in recent FF game, the music didn't grab me like it did the previous installments and it felt like some generic music played by some wannabe musician. Uematsu is on his own and I respect that but still, it just doesn't feel the same without him.

I'd like to have a bit more control on the way characters advance. FF XIII character development pretty much forced you to advance down one route or spend a lifetime grinding, that was tedious and annoyed the hell out of me.

For me it has to be Final Fantasy XIII's example of a battle system, it was in truth, terrible. You can get away with button mashing in a game like Kingdom Hearts because it's not an overly long game but in a game like Final Fantasy where the storyline was around 50 hours plus the extra 50+ to do everything else it gets tedious, quickly. Neither was it developed enough.

I'd say storyline would do it for me in an RPG like Final Fantasy but that's about as subjective as you can get.

I wouldn't say anything ruined an FF game for me, but I would say it is different from going to play a typical FF game like FFXII, then going to play the action-RPG like FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

It just takes a b it to get used to if you're used to playing one style of FF games. This could also be said for Tactics, which could throw a usual FF fan for a loop as they go to play a different style of FF game.

FFXII however I would say disappointed me in terms of following up on FFX. Not a bad game, just a let-down after the "high" that the ending of FFX left me with.

Heck, going from FFIII to FFIV may had taken some getting used to. The ATB thing was something fans didn't expect at the time before then, it was just a Dragon Quest esque battle system with character sprites facing forward instead of HP windows.

for me it is the sudden 'westernising' (pretend thats a word) of the newer FF games. Instead of keeping the FF games how they were with minor tweaks...they went and created that abomination that is FFXIII which had nothing in common with any of the older FF games besides pretty characters, it isn't worthy of an FF title.

Stop trying to copy the western RPGs SE, stick to what you know and do best, turnbased FF RPGs :)

Original FF's are more westernised than FF13. It's a real JRPG - Linear as hell. Like the original Phantasy Star and Breath of Fire. Final Fantasy influenced the whole genre into non-linearity and character customisation.

For me, the worst thing in Final Fantasy games are superbosses. When the bosses actually require skill and strategy to beat, I'm fine. When it's literally just a sponge with 100 million HP, I get bored and rage. Then find the most inventive way to die. That's one of the reasons I hate FF13, it gives every single boss millions of HP, making boss battles last way past acceptable limits.

Back