Final Fantasy VIII Character Ranking

TrueSephiros

Blue Mage
Gil
Although this was one of my least liked Final Fantasy games (from a storyline standpoint) I however played this one quite alot actually. Also, yes, this game, Damage is a huge factor, however some versatility "can" come into play, however this is only for one character though, lolz. Anyways, here it is...

Important: Note that I am only going to tier the characters that are playable at the end.

FINAL FANTASY VIII TIER LIST

God Tier Move
The End

Elite Tier
Zell

Top Tier
Squall
Rinoa

Upper Tier
Irvine

Middle Tier
Quistis

Bottom Tier
Selphie w/out The End

Sephie w/ The End - Okay, if we count this, Selphie has No Equal whatsoever in this game, simply because it will destroy everysingle enemy within the game besides Undead enemies and Ultimecia. This isn't a glitch, this isn't some hack, it is legit, it's not even random and it's a single move, yes, an extremely overpowered ridiculous move.

Zell - He is the most overpowered Offensive Character for any Final Fantasy game ever to date before or after. His Limit Break allows for endless amounts of Damage depending upon how fast you really are. The trick to his Limit is that at the beginning depending upon how much time will decide wether you get Punch Rush (Punch Rush coincides with 4'66 and 6'66 seconds) or Booya (Booya coincides with 9'33 and 12'00 seconds).

After doing either command, then keep switching between Booya And Heel Drop since they are easy to remember, because Booya is Right, Left, and Heel Drop is Up, Down. Again, very easy to remember, and extremely effecient to input fast.

Everysingle hit does 9999, and even with the 4'66 seconds, if your quick like me, you can easily do 25+ hits easily, if you get 12'00 seconds, you can do nearly 50+ hits easily (The most I've ever done was 97 hits, because I can do almost 10 hits per second). After this many hits with Zell's Limit Break, it's GAME OVER on any opponent/boss period.

Hands down the best offensive limit break for damage ever in any Final Fantasy game to date, and pushes him above any other character besides Selphie w/ The End.

Squall Lionheart - What more is there to say, LionHeart is just simply beastly. This makes makes any limit break in FFVII or X for that matter, even Omnislash, Attack Reels look like a walk through the park compared to Lionheart

LionHeart completely ignores enemy defenses regardless (not like it really matters when your at maxed potential though). He unleashes 16-Hits for 9,999 damage!!! and this isn't even including Renzokuken which can be upwards of up to 7-hits for 9999! That's an astonishing 23 phenomenal Hits for 9,999 damage! This is only surpassed by The End and Zell's Limit Break.

Important Note on Squall's LionHeart Limit: There is the "random" factor for LionHeart, however I had completely forgotten about this, since it's been years that I played VIII. However if you don't upgrade your weapon until you get LionHeart, then you won't have all the other weapon's Limits. So for example, if you just use Revolver throughout the entire game until you get LionHeart, your final two LimitBreaks will be either RoughRide or LionHeart, so that chances of LionHeart happening are that much higher.

Rinoa - It just happens to be coincidence that the couple are ranked amongst one another which comes as no surprise, because Rinoa is a powerhouse. Angelo Assist+Invincible Moon make her an extremely versatile character. Lastly, Wishing Star is ridiculous, because it's judged upon how much speed Rinoa has, and when your at maxed, Wishing Star does over 20x hits for 9999! Easily pushes her as a Top Tier character right under her loverboy Squall.

Irvine - Pulse Ammo is the reason why he's pushed here, since they easily do numerous damage for 9999. However, he's a far, far away Upper Tier from the other characters who rank above him.

Quisitis
- Degenerator and Bad Breath are solid for random battles, but do nothing against bosses. Blue Magic for the life of me, I have no idea why it got nerfed in VIII, but this completely nullifies Quistis's uses (She's still Top Tier for being the sexxiest female in VIII imo though ;)).

Selphie Without The End - Without the ridiculous The End Special, she is the worst character in the game without question.

My Conclusion: Final Fantasy VIII without much debate has the most overpowered moves pressed into one game. In here you have something like The End which is basically like a Zanamoto, then you have a vastly superior multi-hitting offensive limit breaks which achieve more hits than anyother character from other FF games.

The Top Tier's within FF VIII are vastly superior to the characters under them, where as in other FF games it's not "as bad". Whew...I'll probably do one more character and that's for Final Fantasy Tactics, after that I'm done for today.

ha great list i can more relate to this one.

why wouldnt selphie be allowed to use the end and got to the bottom rank if i rember shes the only one who can kill omega with one overdrive

yuna was allowed to use zamanto

I actually agree with you on this one. But the amount of time it'll take you to do 90 odd heel drops and booyas squall will do more in that time.

ha great list i can more relate to this one.

why wouldnt selphie be allowed to use the end and got to the bottom rank if i rember shes the only one who can kill omega with one overdrive

Zanamoto has a random factor to it, however The End has 0 random factor. However, regardless of that I still put her up as God Tier because its still legit, since it's still part of the game, but I also added her in, if she didn't have that.

Remember what I told you in the other thread, Yuna can be Top Tier even w/out Zanamoto, Selphie w/out The End is no where near Top Tier.

The end doesn't work for ultimecia so zell would be top if you take that into account.

The end doesn't work for ultimecia so zell would be top if you take that into account.

Yes, that's true, however 98% of all other enemies it will work on, besides undeads and Ultimecia. The End can even work on the Secret Boss, Omega Weapon whom is infinitely more powerful than Ultimecia, that alone makes Selphie undisputed.

If not for The End, I would push Zell as the Elite best, however Instant-Kill>>>Super High Damage anyday of the week.

They should have made the end an extremely rare occurance. And Zell's limit is far too overpowered. If they could have made the attacks a little less powerful or something.

(She's still Top Tier for being the sexxiest female in VIII imo though
wink.gif
).
:monster:

He said Selphie is the weakest character besides her limit break The End. Without it she is the weakest character. Which is true, besides The End her physical attacks were terrible.

This isn't about FFX. o_O

I believe Rinoa could surpass Squall if her limit breaks were not automatically chosen. Rinoa Wishing Star and Invincible = epic win.

He is the most overpowered Offensive Character for any Final Fantasy game ever to date before or after.
Interesting. o.o Who would of thought that Zell was the most powerful main playable Final Fantasy character.

Wishing star appears so rarely. But if she used meteor with her angel wing limit then she would be more powerful than squall.

And rikku is better than quistis.

The only boss that The End did not work on was Ultimecia final forum, the last boss in the game. You can't use The end because your suppose to sit through the fight and hear Ultimecia talk.

Honestly, at first I thought Zell was only Upper-Tier at best because I would link all of his moves to his final attack, however once I thought..."Hey, why don't I just do Booya and Heel Drop continously", and bam...there you go, I was like wow.

After that, I was like...hmm...let's see how much I could do in one-second, pretty soon, I could do about 8-10 per second, and with just 4 seconds with just 8 per second...well that's already 32 hits and if 10 that's 40 hits!

If you get the 12 seconds, and with 8 hits per second, that's 96 hits!

Extremely easy, yet ridiculously powerful, gotta love Zell's special, forget about trying to land his Final Attack, Booya and Heel drop is all you will ever need. Yes, indeed it's overkill for damage potential.

the way i see is i go it gose leon "aka squall" zell,irvine,rinoa,selphie and then quistis.i todally agree true sephiros compared to leonheart,omni slash is nothing more then a ciddy pool....in other words lol,zells "around the worl" hmmmm i wasnt to impressed with this move...i mean look at the faqs thear is not possable way that a human can run intirly around the world and then be able to go straight through the enamie,and then thears renoa,now i think that her overlimits are hilareas because....now the ultima wepone is the largest boss in the game "so i think" and the fact that a dog can completly pown the hudge thing is wicked funny, and as for quistis and selphies over limites.....thears just disapoints me...i dont even want to talk about thears......ps "sorry for all the misspelled words lol im a bad speller"

Last edited:
Zell should be the highest ranked since The End is completely random and rarely ever appears, unless you use the playstation open lid cheet.

Zell can deliver over 200.000+ damage a turn which is amazing, best limit attack to date.

zells "around the worl" hmmmm i wasnt to impressed with this move...i mean look at the faqs thear is not possable way that a human can run intirly around the world and then be able to go straight through the enamie
Wait...THIS is what you find odd about ff8? Okie...

Anyway, good list....I think Irvine's limit is a little more useful that just Pulse Ammo....lol. Zell is a powerhouse though, and you wouldn't believe how good he can become, even just doing the booya/heeldrop kick at the begining of the game can get you at least 10000+ damage.

The End is still too good, simply because it can Instant Kill everything besides Undead and Ultimecia, that's more beastly then even damage output.

As for Zell's Limit, yes, I completely agree, it is without a doubt, the best LimitBreak of all time. If any of you can actually achieve 96-Hits or more, you can do crazy amounts of damage.

I went back to playing VIII a few days a ago and was using Booya+Heeldrop, and I can consistently get over 96+ hits. It's madness, considering 96 hits for 9999 each ='s 959,904 DAMAGE per single turn with Zell!!! That's incredible!

Back