going through the backlog....

moose

Gil
I loved Final Fantasy growing up, and played 4-10 between middle school and college, then got busy with life and didn't play any others. I recently made up my mind to go through all the others and have done the pixel remasters of 1-3 and am about 2/3 of the way through 12. My goal is main series only and sticking to the central story, rather than 100%ing any of them. If one really grabs me with the world and story, I might rethink that, but with work and 2 young kids, I just can't spend 100s of hours on a video game.

A few questions as I start working my way through the rest:

10-2: Should I even bother?
11: I initially thought I wouldn't bother with the MMORPG entries at all. Should I rethink that? Can I reasonably do the main story here in 40ish hours?
12: Does this game ever get good? I just finished the Stillshrine of Miriam and, while I love the gambit system, I find the story underwhelming to say the least--almost like a poor man's Game of Thrones. After reading this was one of the better entries, I'm surprised at how little I care about the story. I don't even know who the villain is supposed to be, and apart from Fran's pixelated whale tail (which would be more interesting if I hadn't just finished FF7 Rebirth), I don't find any of the protagonists to be even remotely interesting. The gameplay is solid, though I'm breezing through it by only leveling 3 characters.
13: I've heard this one kinda sucks, but I'll play it anyway. Are 2 and 3 worth my time?
14: Same questions for 11.
15-16: I've heard generally good things, but as these are firmly in the DLC era of video games--how much satisfaction will I get by just playing the base game of each?

Back