Illegally Downloading Media.

Is piracy right or wrong?

• Total voters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information
i fail to understand how a vehicle of transportation or a cup of tea can be any type of information.
most of youtubes content is stolen/illegal......should that page be banned?
sites like thepiratebay just point at illegal material, youtube actually hosts illegal content for download, you can get any song or any tv show from there, well, in 11 minute pieces, but still.
nahh, if you ban youtube like china did, you will be accused of lacking democracy and freedom of information and speech.

So you are saying that musicians shouldn't be paid because what they produce is infromation, and that is in your opinion different from a tangible good. How so?
Anyway if we accept that we should all be given access to information for free then journalists shouldn't be paid, the same with all other news services.
Also a bands live acts wouldn't compensate for the losses they would incur if you took away their profits. Furthermore the record companies would cease to make a profit, so they'd close, and then bands couldn't make music for you to download free in the first place.

since when do news services take money for information? their income is from advertising....and the more people they have visiting, the more profit they can make with advertising....(things like porsches, restaurants and ferraris....)
there are still hundreds of record companies. never heard of any huge company going down either, cant say that about Ford, ...do their products get stolen and copied over 95%?
letting people download music for free with some advertising with which you earn like 5 cents per download....isnt a bad way to make money, considering that theres no piracy.....your product is being downloaded 2000% more than usually

Musicians get paid more through ticket sales from touring, merchandise and record sales. It's the same as any business: you exchange a skill/trade and reproduce it for mass production. Whatever you get will go towards how much it costs to make said product in order to compensate for the work that you and other people do and royalties from the things I mentioned above. Now, the system isn't exactly perfect, and as much as you'd like to argue that, there's no way it's going to change. As for the record companies, they're experienced business people with the smarts to rake in the cash. Unless they screw themselves over and blow everything, they're going to be rolling in green until the day they die. It's how capitalism works in this society.

about musicians......giving songs away for free = more people listen to it = more people like it = more people that want to see you actually play it = money
videos > movie theatre = money
games > online gaming/addons = money
Not everyone wants to see a band live. Liking their music on the album is all well and good, but the majority of bands sound nothing like they do on them when you see them live.
And the cost of production for a film far outweighs the revenue made by selling DVDs. It's a simple requirement that it be released at the cinema so that the money can be recuperated.

tracking down a person that shared like 25 songs on kazaa and demanding 200 000$ isnt right imo. my music collection is about 10 000 songs, that makes it..80 million dollars?
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/155076.html

about movies....best movies get all the cash back already on the first day-week of its released.
....you can make money without killing the internet

tracking down a person that shared like 25 songs on kazaa and demanding 200 000$ isnt right imo. my music collection is about 10 000 songs, that makes it..80 million dollars?
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/155076.html
What you're saying there is that people shouldn't be punished for breaking the law, which is just absurd. It comes down to if you aren't prepared to face the punishment, don't do the crime in the first place.
If she had bought the CDs for those songs, or paid for a legal download it would cost her a considerably less amount of money. The same can be said for you and your music collection.

about movies....best movies get all the cash back already on the first day-week of its released.
....you can make money without killing the internet
And how do they get that money? Release it at the cinema of course. If that wasn't done, a film would receive nowhere near as much publicity.

....thats what im saying, get money from cinamas, no need to get illegal dvd downloaders in to court n stuff. revenge of the sith ....the dvd leaked to internet same day as it was released into cinemas, they made the money that cost to make the movie back in 3 days, and by now earned 8x of its worth.

about ''breaking the law'' id love to see someone punish me for shouting 11101010100111011 etc in a supermarket, as it is illegal file sharing.
+ i never told my music collection is downloaded illegally....but what if i got them from youtube? id still be punished and youtube (the site that shared the illegal content) wouldn't have any problems at all.
internet censorship is growing, and i wouldn't like to end up living in a country like china.

The difference with Youtube is that, in its policy and guidelines, it states that you are free to download the videos for personal purposes and, so long as you do not distribute the music (e.g. the typical things like watch it in school et cetera), you are not breaking any laws. Loop-hole - you can technically download anything you like from Youtube, split the audio from the video, save the audio as an MP3 and you're good to go: legally. The problem there lies with the people uploading the videos without copyright ownership but that's not your issue, so you can't be punished for that.

so person A leaves illegal merchandise in person B's garage, then person C can take the stuff without getting punished....while without person B you would get punished. i hope i understood correctly?

I was surprised when I found that out, too, but it's definitely true. There're even videos of people explaining it and teaching you how to download their videos for free. xD

Anyway, about your example, I can only suggest that the rules are different because data isn't the same as a physical item, despite the principles being the same.

and its interesting that bittorrent sites are taken down......they dont hold any illegal material. they just show where the person A is located and what he has....which isnt illegal even in the ''physical item'' terms i think.

....thats what im saying, get money from cinamas, no need to get illegal dvd downloaders in to court n stuff. revenge of the sith ....the dvd leaked to internet same day as it was released into cinemas, they made the money that cost to make the movie back in 3 days, and by now earned 8x of its worth.
If it's available for free, then people will often opt for that. If everyone had known before its release, then a lot of people would probably have not bothered going to the cinema.
It's an old argument but what you are doing is stealing, so why should online piracy go unpunished while shoplifting does?

about ''breaking the law'' id love to see someone punish me for shouting 11101010100111011 etc in a supermarket, as it is illegal file sharing./QUOTE]
No it isn't. By just shouting out those numbers that's all they are - numbers. It isn't information until it is given any form context. A music file is binary that has been given context.

if im shouting out binary of a text file to someone that can read lerrers in binary, it isnt theft?
also i can encrypt files so they have no connection whatsoever to the original file, send them to my friend with a key..........because...hey, i was just sending out random numbers.
i dont see why people compare electricity existance or lack of it to shoplifting.....

Simply saying the binary digits isn't theft, no. However if your friend can then translate the binary into whatever it is that the file is, then it is theft. Until it is translated all it is is just a string of random 1's and 0's. The same can be said with the file encryption example; once the encryption is removed/cracked, it becomes an illegal file. Until that point it is just binary.

Piracy

Hey guys.
So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on piracy.
Do you believe that piracy is right or wrong?
Should there be a more proactive stance against piracy, in the entire entertainment industry (movies, music, books, games, etc.) ?

According to the RIAA, if you buy songs from iTunes and burn them onto a CD it's considered illegal.

The Record Companies profit too much off of their Artists hardships while fucking over the artists themselves because of this.

Wrong.

The things that are often pirated are things like movies, music, and video games. The common responses are that they can't afford these things. The problem with that logic is that any of these items are not even remotely necessities. They're luxuries. You have no inalienable right to own them, you're only given the chance/ability to, given your ability to offer pay for it.

The crux of this is that you're taking away money from people who put their time and effort into creating something for you to enjoy. They did not need to, there was nothing saying they had to, they just did it to give something for the world to enjoy. All they ask in return is a little bit of payment, to make up for all the time and effort that went into creating it *for you*

Piracy is theft. You're taking away *possible* money from those who created something for you, simply because you don't want to pay for it. Even though you have no actual right to own it.

The other point brought up is that piracy is just sharing. The problem with this logic is that it is illegal to distribute digital media without proper licensing. When you buy a game, you are not given the legal right/license to redistribute the contents of said media, only the right to own it and use it within the boundaries of the law.

Back