Is it possible to beat with no save?

therock003

Gil
I wonder if it is and if it will unlock anything. I remember on the back of the booklet manual having a picture of a memory card and saying "try beating the game without this!"

Maybe for the better of my knowledge this is a reverse psychology trick to get you to buy a memory card but what if it isn't and someone did get to finish it with no memory card?

Personally i was able to get to the start of DISC 3 with 3 saves and not losing but i don't think i could ever reach the finish without saving once.

Well technically speaking it's possible to clear the game with no saves, howevr you'd have to count on being overprepared for every boss and know their weaknesses and such, so as to be more than capable of dealing with every threat. You'd also have to be able to put a lot of time into it without turning off the game as well.

So, from a literal point of view, yes, it is possible to beat without a save.

I wonder if anyone has ever done it though, and if this makes a difference in unlocking extra stuff.

I doubt it makes any difference, as I imagine this would have been done long before, considering how long FF7 has been out for. Aside from completing a self-set challenge I doubt there's any real benefit to it.

That little advertisement on the back of the manual is only encouraging as many players as possible to invest in a memory card; it's basically saying "you'll find it somewhat impossible to beat this game without saving at least once". It's not hinting towards unlockables (really, what can you unlock, and how would it be useful after you've completed the whole game? You can become "invincible" with certain Materia you gain from side-quests, so nothing else is necessary).

It is, however, possible to finish the game without it, in theory but, as stated, it'd require a hell of a lot of either prior knowledge or early over-leveling.

Maybe it could let you save after the credits and start game with Aeris and all Materia or something like that. Or at least that's what i wish it could happen! :)

But i guess it's just a marketing concept, just like i also proposed and Lara confirmed, so even if someone has done it or gets to do it it will most probably result to no change at all.

Maybe it could let you save after the credits and start game with Aeris and all Materia or something like that.

I believe I read somewhere that the guy who was over development of FFVII never intended for Aerith to come back. Which is why you can't get her back without some sort of cheating device. Also, no 'New Game+" feature.

The advertisement on the back of the manual is all it is, an advertisement for a Memory Card.

I haven't actually finished the game WITHOUT saving, but I have gone through it with a friend over the course of a few days one not so sunny summer without turning off the PS or Game Over'ing once. We were trying to do it in one go and succeeded but still saved just in case. After we had done that though neither of us had the desire to go through it again for the sake of leaving out saves.

Don't you need to save to change discs?
No. You get the chance to save but you don't need to. Just select 'No' when asked or exit out of the save screen if it comes up and then just pop the next disc in like usual.

errrrrrrrrrr i guess its poissible but i wouldnt try because you know you'd die right when your almost done. and by beating the game as in just quickly go though it or everthing like all the extra bosses at the end?

Well it's more like what Dave said there.

However, you can beat it without saving if you can last 5 days straight playing it and/or if your PS can hold it without turning it off. If you mention PC then at some point your PC WILL crash or at least be turned off by mistake, so I don't really think you can beat it really without saving and whoring the game leveling up. <_<

like others have said; it's probably just an advertisement to buy a Memory Card, as it is almost detrimental to your success on their gaming platform.

I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind that that's all it intended to hint at either if there was nothing related to Final Fantasy on that page of the advertisement; such as a logo.

First off, I can say with 99% certainty that there is no benefit as far as game content in this achievement: The game has been out long enough that somebody has doubtlessly accomplished the feat, and something would have been said by now. It is a very intriguing idea though. It would be a considerable challenge, in terms of attentiveness, resource management, and preparedness, as you simply could not put in the time to grind extensively without going bonkers. And playing the game in one go would help you remember plot points more clearly. Very interesting.

Like other people said, the memory card thing is definitely just a marketing strategy.

I think I would go insane trying to beat it all in one go, no saves.

It would really suck if you were - say - fighting One Winged Angel at the very end and died. That would be very bad. No fun.

You wouldn't be able to take any chances, either, especially with bosses or weapons (I will never beat Ruby, I swear - I always get quicksanded).

You would probably have to either follow a cheat book, memorize a cheat book, or played the game so many times you have every single part of it exactly memorized. But even then, I know I have used cheat books for other FF games, and I still ended up dying because of some crazy hard random thing the boss might do or something...

So it's too risky. You'd have to be ready for disappointment if you tried to finish without saving.

Or what if you wanted Cloud to get picked at Corneo's Mansion, and you did great in the squats practice, but lost, eh? Eh? Then you couldn't be lazy and not fight the Don's henchmen. I m always lazy at that part. xD

Only really have heard stories hearing people that have done this game a day without saving and just fables and legends- gossip. xDD

But think it's true because know a few people who have done FF VII marathons for birthday parties and just played non-stop without saving ..

Wouldn't recommend trying to play through this game without saving though..
Because if you got super- close to the end and lost by a silly mistake you would be so pissed.. :wacky:

Hey, there is no hidden unlockables for not saving all the way through, just the bragging rights, but you'd BETTER have a lot of time on your hands, and be prepared for the consequences. (That means no turning off the machine.)

I'll gladly egg on anyone who wants to give it a go. And I'll gladly meet the crazy dude who actually goes through with it. So, if you've got the time to be reading posts, you've got the time to do crazy experiments. XP

I think I have to agree with everyone else when they say it's a memory card promotion rather than to set you a challenge. I highly doubt that any sort of unlockables would be given also.

But I'm surprised no-one has suggested this. We have all this talk about leaving you're PC/Playstation on and playing for X amount days straight so you don't have to save. There are Playstation emulators out there that have a feature called "Save State", which would be very handy for such a challenge.

Don't do this. It takes around 20 hours and requires a trip to the ancient forest to pick up the double cut materia which you then must master. You will spend almost the entire game with Tifa under death sentence so that she can benefit from 4x damage with one of her weapons, God Hand or something, and there is NO BONUS to completing the game without saving...
Your suspicions have been confirmed

A friend of mine did this whilst I was at their house, I went to sleep and they were still playing when I woke up about 6 hours later...

Last edited:
A friend of mine did this. He played FFX without saving to see how long he could go. He wasn't exactly a pro at the game though, he died 12 hours in. Apparently cheering Tidus for 50 consecutive rounds will get you a win though. I didn't have the time or patience to try it.

It'd be a tough thing to do regardless. I would advise against it based on one question. Is beating a game you have probably already beaten before, in this certain way...worth destroying a two hundred plus dollar gaming system? That's referencing the PS1/2 obviously. You lose your system then no more playstation RPG playing for you. If that happened to me I'd probably die of boredom. I don't know how else to waste my time. XD

Back