Living with your parents

I agree that if you cant afford a place for yourself then staying with parents and i suppose family on occasion. But i think ill miss living outside my moms house but the places we've looked at are really close by so we can visit eavhother lol although knowing her she'll come see me every other day lol oh well i still love her. But besides i know plenty of people who live by a college and others who have jobs nearby and live with their parents so i really dont think its to big of a problem lol it kinda in my opinion can actually help someone quite alot :x3:

Aint nothin wrong with living at home!

Unless you find it extremely disatisfying Stay to your parents content and strike out when you are ready if a close family is what you have and want to maintain then its alright to seek from it your family.

Its a big choice to pursue your own way in the world and start a family of your own, granted that s not what this is about but it comes around, financially it make sense to stay longer these days.

You hear stories of 35 yo people moving back home and they do it.....it must be cool?WTF? And like some guy above me said When the you know what hits the fan who has your back?

The Olds, thats who.

No offense, but if I were to live at home with my parents for over a week my brain would explode.

1) The mother - She is a bit loopy, maybe from the radiation back in the day or what, but she'll ask the same question at least 10 times, before she docks it into her memory. She also is nosy as crap, even to a 25 year, which I never even tell her a thing about me anymore, cept work related stuff or what I'm up to for the weekend. She is also so into me getting in touch with friends from like Elementary/High school because they are sending me wedding invites, and I keep denying them, because I live 250 miles away. To put the icing on the cake, she never knocks, and always walks into rooms. If I'm in the middle of work related crap/ A movie on the TV / Playing a game / Listening to music with my head phones on.. it's like she wants to carry on a conversation like some deprived person. To get a piece of mind around her, you'd have to put a 2 inch hole in your head with say.. a usp.

2) The Father - He's an accountant. He's also a die hard Christian, who when he saw my Wife's "Jesus is a zombie" sticker on the back of her car, he tried to rip it off. Bless the dudester, but all of those die hards are a bit off in the head. Back to the accountant part, he's always making jests out how I spend my money. He's like.. oh I can set out a budget for you two if you wish. What am I? Poor? I understand the need to save right now, but jesus, I graduated 2 years ago, let us have a little fun, you kill joy you.

1) The mother - She is a bit loopy, maybe from the radiation back in the day or what, but she'll ask the same question at least 10 times, before she docks it into her memory. She also is nosy as crap, even to a 25 year, which I never even tell her a thing about me anymore, cept work related stuff or what I'm up to for the weekend.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN :rage:

My mother's a bit loopy, and probably from the happy pills. She used to be really angry all the time and I just remember her as this shouting person from my childhood.. now it's weird, sometimes it's annoying these days when she's 'nice' or talkative or whatever...

She ALSO likes to repeat things several times over to get a point across, or to share with every person on the planet. Quite frankly I've lost count how many times I've heard how 'Two and a Half Men' is a really well written show and one of her favourites. -__-

There's another thing I completely forgot to mention in my original post in this thread: The parents. I'm sure most people's parents love them very much, but how many of them actually ENJOY having their 20-something child living in the basement? :P

My folks don't care. They kind of like it since they need the extra money when I'll get a job, otherwise they'd probably have to sell the house. ;.;

Living with your parents until your 30 is a sign that you can't take care of yourself, you need mommy and daddy there to help, guide and protect you. I've got no problem if you just live there because you can't get a house and are out of work. But living there just because you can is not cool.

My parents have already stated that I'm getting kicked out of the house when I'm 18, so I don't have to worry about this.

I'd like to leave my parents when I'm like 23-ish............You'll always need there help,but really it depends how old they are sometimes.......if there old then well,ageism opinion or not they really can't do much. Especially after they are out of work retired.Then that's when YOU come in to help them...................But if there a working parent then they'll have no problem. You'll just need to make your mind up when you leave.

But nah..........one of my friends friend (hope that make sanse) is still living with his mom and he's 42..............It'd been better if he said he a=rather lived in a flat.

Well,this will be a big debate on this subject. ^^ Let's get started :

It was a time when I lived with my ex-bf,for a few years and not with my parents[I am 20 now and we were together for almost 4 years,we broke up recently >.>] back to the problem.-> my parents were working in living in Spain back then,it was a bit hard and all that,started to learn how to cook and so on..
I moved from my ex when my parents got back and I moved with them,again ^^'' as anyways we got another house aside from the current one and they barely stay here with me and rather stay at the other one cause there we got animals to take care of and such etc..

Now,I can give another example: I know a guy for about 3 years on internet,and this year we managed to meet up and I stayed at his place for about 2 weeks[with his parents as well]..and I am telling you his parents are over protective and barely let him do whatever he wants to[he will be 22 years old] >_<
I know many other situations[including this person] which we were together for 1 month,but because of his parents we can't be together [long story] *sighs* and he said to me that we can't be together as he can't promise me anything[I know it's cause he is tied up with his parents] >_< :mad:

To make here things clear: I agree that's ok to live with your parents till a certain age..around 25 I would say mostly,they need to let you go and have your own life,place and so on..your mistakes,you have the responsability after them and so on..the parents can't always keep YOU in their house just cause they can offer you EVERYTHING and you always have to say what you do,where you go and when you get home etc..stuff like that as if you are a 5 year old child. :gasp:
That would mean you'll always depend on them and you'll never see how life it is without them,or if the things you do are right or wrong.. T_T

You need to take your life into your own hands and behave as an Adult[grown up] and move on from the Old life which you had and start like a "new life",of course you can have your parents support or such..but you need to stop DEPENDING on them all the time..
you need to live your life as you please,and if you don't got an opportunity to do so..THEN make ONE to happen.

This is my opinion regardless this subject! ^^

I just want my independence as soon as possible and staying with my parents means that I cannot be since basically they are the boss.
I find it wrong in cases where the person lives with his parents because he doesn't want to grow up.Or he's a mama's boy.Sorry but I am not fond of these people,I cannot listen to people in their late 20s say "I can't cause my mom is not allowing me".Don't know why but I find it so unattractive.
I can understand with the economy now,but there will be a time when you will have to get out a bit.
And the thing is parents mess with so many things in your life when you are living with them,they want to know everything and stick their nose everywhere and it gets annoying,to me at least.
I am a person who prefers to make my decisions myself and don't enjoy people intruding in my own space,be it a parent or who else is,except if I've given them the right.I am still young of course and what I am saying may just sound cheesy,but really I am not willing to stay limited and I wouldn't enjoy associating that much with people whose lives are controlled by their parents(we're talking about adults okay?)
If his parents aren't that way and he does not allow them to treat him like a kid then I am fine with it and it is only temporary.
In cases such as relationships though I'd prefer someone who can draw a line between his family and girlfriend.Like I said I don't enjoy people messing with my bussiness,especially someone else's mom trying to tell me what to do just cause her son is living with her.
If he can limit his family's influence to an acceptable extend then I am gonna have a lot more respect than the one who is still the baby of the family.

Well I'm almost 27 and living with my parents still, so think I can pitch something in here.

living with parents until 25+ isnt the taboo it once was anymore, its not unheard of for people to still live with there parents beyond 30+ these days due to the state of the economy and debts you acrew through your educational life.

However that being said, the longer you live with your parents the more at loggerheads you will become with them, as they become accustomed to you and treat you as "part of the furniture" but this is where your arguments begin as you begin to vie for your own independence and crave it more and more.

Arguments with my parents often stem from my need for my own space, and them not understanding that I have to fly the nest and live my own life in my own home for that to be achieved, more so now that my partner and I are looking to move in together very soon.

Moving out is still easily one of the most stressful trials anyone can endure, I must have been over the figures a thousand times over in my head, on paper and even in my sleep :wacky:

The biggest piece of advice I can give anyone really is dont leave it too late, but dont jump ship too early either although living on your own should be a top priority (currently my numbero uno priority because my partner and I both want to move in together) but dont do so if you are not ready, you could well end up falling on your face, winding back up at your parents and it could be a long time before you get that second chance of independance.

Last edited:
I think as an adult, if you find it necessary to live with your parents for whatever reason it's okay. There is no rule that your parents raise you and when you reach a certain age, they throw you out of their home. You make decisions for yourself as you see fit. If you decide you want to continue living with your parents until you reach a stable point in your life where you think you can handle yourself on your own and you can take care of things, then leave. You're the only one that knows when you're ready to set out on your own. Your parents should be supportive of you, even if they do decide that they don't want their children living with them.

Living with your parents after you're 18 should always be a time you use to prepare yourself to leave. Some children stay to live with their parents or move back home just so they can take care of them and that's fine too, but if that isn't the case, then don't live off your parents just because you can. You need to start a life for yourself eventually.

I don't have an issue with living with your parents until a certain age. Some people are ready when they reach 25, but some just really aren't. Then there's people that rush in to it to live together. A girl I work with, (she's 18) broke up with her boyfriend, there goes her split rent, electricity, gas, water money. She's practically asking others if she can have their shift, because else she won't cut it, even with a fulltime job with the pay she gets it's not gonna cut the house she has.

I mean, shit happens, but way to go, idiot. =/ She did admit it was her own fault 'cause she went in to this blindly, she's still in school.

Eh that's just an example of rushing in, which I think is the number one stupid thing you can do.

And then there's people that move out 'cause else their friends will think they're losers. Just get a grip, and be yourself.

I'm 20, I still live with my mom, she's fine with it, I'm fine with it. We split the rent, so it's not like I'm just depending on her, we actually share the bills. I do have plans of moving out within 4 years, but that just really depends my job and what not.

My opinion is you should just do it when you're comfortable and have your shit together.

I agree with you. You should only be moving out if you are capable of making it on your own. Just because you're a legal adult at 18 doesn't mean you're mature enough to handle things out there.

I'm 19 and I still live with my parents, but I'm pretty sure that's normal where I come from. The "moving out to go to college" rarely happens here--unless you're a scholar or your desired course is in a very far university. Also, unlike western countries, graduating college is a must. I find I don't know anyone who's stopped schooling at highschool here who even has a job. It's the standard for everyone, and I suppose parents want to see their studies through. I want (and I will be) moving out as soon as I graduate though (I can hardly wait), but for entirely different, personal reasons. :\

Most people I know prefer to stay until they land a stable job and save up, and I respect that. Especially because the economy is getting bad and it's proving more and more difficult to get a good job. Rent, food, electricity, water, groceries wouldn't be an issue if you stay at home.

But as some of the posts have already mentioned here, as long as you haven't resigned yourself to depend solely on your parents for provisions, I think it's totally fine. It would be awful to hear about 30 year olds asking their parents for allowance. Funny, but sad. D:

I moved out of the parentals last year at the age of 20. Best decision of my life even though right now im living with my grandmother for the time being until my new house is sorted in (hopefully) a couple of weeks time. I have nothing against older people living with their parents as shit happens or they just arn't ready to leave yet. I have a couple of over 28-30 yr old friends that have either just moved out or still are but they all have jobs, just in situations where living with the folks makes them better off. I chose to go not because I could afford it (I'm JUST about able to) but because I couldn't stand my family any longer for reasons that arn't for here. Hopefully next year I will finally be off to uni and I can set myself up there and not need to come back here unless visiting family and friends.

There are other advantages, the cost of still living at home is fairly negligable, the space will still need to be heated/cooled, the cable/internet/etc bills paid so from both an economical and a "green" sense it is wise to do

In some cultures it is the norm to live at home until marriage, and that seems to make sense from a community standpoint, society's values forcing people to move out and be by themselves is not good for mental health at least for some people, again this varies widely based on family values and behaviors of course.

Last edited:
I thought I'd already replied to this thread. >.<

Anyway, I don't think there needs to be a certain age as to when people should start moving out of home.

Everyone is different and everyone's circumstances are different.

Some people may get on brilliantly with their parents and so it works out nicely.

Some people may not (like myself) and in order to be independent means that you do have to move out.

I was living with my parents until I was 19 and a half and I was not allowed to do anything even though I had my own car and full time job etc. I could not leave the house without a good enough reason. I was a really good kid and it was like they didn't trust me.

So when Steve pretty much got the boot from his landlord (the Landlord was a psycho) we decided we would move into together.

It was a little bit rushed as we were only together for six months at the time but I am so happy we did it.

I could never move back home for any reason. It just wouldn't work. I'm far too independent now to have someone tell me what I can and can't do again. >.<

I've had to go back to living with my parents when I couldn't make it on my own. I did 1 year on my own after I turned 18 and I just couldn't handle it. I lived with my dad for a year after that, saving up money and everything until I went back out there to make it on my own again. Yes I've had my ups and downs but that's what life is all about.

I think it really depends on your parents. Some parents probably don't mind it at all having their child live with them for however long they need to. Some parents though I know it's extra strain on them, but they still never say anything. As long as you're willing to help your parents out like pay bills or do work for them or anything like that is fine. I know some parents though who still have a child that lives with them, he's 38, no job, doesn't help out, doesn't really do anything and that is really unfair for him to be doing that to his parents, and his parents really need to encourage him instead of pamper him. Lets face it, they're not going to be around forever. What happens if he's 45, still where he's at, and his parents happen to die? Sure he might get their inheritance if they have much to give him, but he's still jobless, now responsible for taking care of himself and don't have his parents support anymore. How can someone like that make it in the world?

I just think as long as you are there to help out your parents in any way, and are able to help out your parents with money or work, I see no problem in it. But at the age of 30 if you're making no effort to help yourself, then that is really unfair to do to your parents

The way the world is today, you'd be lucky to have parents at your side when you hit 18 yrs old. Back in the 70's and 80's in particular, staying at home until you were 21-22 yrs old was the norm. You weren't expected to to be financially stable and get the boot when you hit 18. In my opinion, 18 is when you're considered an adult, yet that gets to parents heads nowadays because they are lazy. It's sad to see how much of a struggle it has become just to make it in life that parents roll over their own children.
Make no mistake, the upper classed citizens don't see it because they choose not to and don't have to, but this is why I hate people like Glenn Back and Palin. They don't deserve to be called Americans.. or most conservatives for that matter. Their time has come and gone.

Back