Meaning of names.

Sephirothalpha

Grand Master Mage
Veteran
Gil
Cloud Strife, the protaganist may seem to have a silly name. However, it makes sense. A cloud, when seen from outside, seems to be a single thing. But inside the cloud, all that can be seen is a jumble of unrelated images. In much the same way, Cloud Strife at first seems to be a unified person, but as the game progresses and we look in his mind, we see a jumble of confused imagery. His identity is not real at all, but merely an aggregate of unrelated things.

It is possible that Cloud's name is a reference to the creation story of the Zohar, where the first Sephiroth is described as coming "out of a cloud", whereas in the game Cloud is at some points believed to be a clone of Sephiroth.
Also, Cloud is an atmospheric reference, which is common to many characters in this game.

Aeris Gainsborough aka Aerith Gainsborough. The second spelling is more correct, since it includes the word "earth" in her name. Final Fantasy VI had female leads called Celes and Terra, Heaven and Earth. Aerith's name, and indeed it could be demonstrated Aerith's personality are a combination of air and earth. Her name includes both of these elements.

Strangely enough, her real last name is Gast, or Gas, and her adopted name is Gainsborough, which could refer to either a borough (a piece of land) or the landscape artist named Gainsborough.
And again, her name includes the atmosphereic element in it.

Sephiroth aka The Great Sephiroth, full name Sephiroth Valentino is the villain of the story. Explaining what the Hebrew term Sephiroth means here would be very difficult, even if I did know. Even more complicated on top of that is explaining the names in term of the traditional meaning of the name, or the way the name was used in Japan post-Evangelion.

Needless to say, Sephiroth's name has any number of cosmological connoctations. In many ways the Sephiroth could be interpreted as similiar to the cosmological worlds of Norse tradition, such as Midgard or Nifelheim, or of the worlds of Buddhist cosmology.
The literal meaning of Sephiroth, however is "numbered", which could be a reference to the fact that Sephiroth's various clones have tattoos numbered on them.
As a last note, I would usually say that no actual people of Jewish background name their children Sephiroth, (or after a Sephiroth) since it would be like naming your child God, but strangely enough I do know someone named after a Sephiroth.

Tifa Lockheart. I wouldn't think of it if we didn't already have Sephiroth, but since we do, I think that Tifa is perhaps a short form of Tifereth, which means beauty (which Tifa certainly is!), and which is the central one of the Sephiroth. It is the Sephiroth that balances out creation and destruction, which perhaps relates to one of the many themes in the game.

Her last name, Lockheart, represents the fact that her feelings have been "locked" away deep in her heart, it has been suggested, which definitly makes sense given Tifa's shy nature.
Her name could also perhaps be short for Typhoon, another atmospheric reference.

Cid Highwind, the pilot is named with another mythological reference: this time to the mythology of Final Fantasy itself. And his last name is another atmosphereic name.

Shinra, the evil corporation resposible for poisoning the earth, perhaps gets its name from Shinran, a Japanese monk who founded a form of Buddhism ao popular it was debased, based on chanting the name of the Amita Buddha so the chanter could be reborn in the pure land, which perhaps relates to the fact that The Shinra, like everyone else, are looking for the Promised Land.

Heidegger, the enemy general, is named after the great philosopher Martin Heidegger, the founder of existentialism and a man whose theories on how people relate to nature could be a great influence on the game. There is a character that seems to share Heidegger's theories, but it is not the character named Heidegger, it is Bugenhagen, the scientist at Cosmo's Canyon.

Midgar and Nibelheim, the poisoned metropolis where the story starts, is named after Midgard and Nifelheim, the Norse name for Earth and Hell. This could be somewhat ironic, Midgar is more like Hell then Earth, and Nibelheim is more Earth like then Hell. Of course, Nibelheim is burnt down, becoming an inferno; and there is a chance that Midgar is named that as a suggestion that this hellish state is the "normal" one for people, that people will always create a hell for themselves.

i knew sephiroth meant a path toward god hood. but not the others.
cool.

It makes the characters and locations better when the names actually have meaning behind them.

I always thought the name Tifa Lockheart sounded a lot like Lara Croft, they both looked similar aswell, meh maybe square wanted to create a new 'iconic' female character....

I always thought the name Tifa Lockheart sounded a lot like Lara Croft, they both looked similar aswell, meh maybe square wanted to create a new 'iconic' female character....
I see the similarities in the tit department. That however is where the similarities end.

Zack means rememberance of the lord in Hebrew which suits him as he is dead in FFVII.

It's interesting to see where the meanings come from, but to be honest I have suspected for a while that the names had some hidden meaning

I always thought the name Tifa Lockheart sounded a lot like Lara Croft

How does Tifa Lockhart sound like Lara Croft? :confused:

Zack's full name is Zack Fair, this is to serve as a parallel to Cloud Strife. Aeris is connected Eris in Japanese, and in Greek Mythology Eris is the Goddess of Strife, Subtly adding to the connection between her and Cloud ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Tifa is the name of a disease in Russia, but whatever

Do you really think they would name a character like Tifa after a disease? Of course not!

I agree with SA, Ive read that her name means something along the lines of beauty. And what I think they mean by Lara Croft is that Tifa has the same zing name as she does. Its a feminme yet strong name.

Maybe it's not quite so deep...

Aeris Gainsborough aka Aerith Gainsborough. The second spelling is more correct, since it includes the word "earth" in her name. Final Fantasy VI had female leads called Celes and Terra, Heaven and Earth.

I agree with most of the name etymology. One thing to note about FFVI names, however is that Terra was originally Tina in the Japanese version. Tina, though a common name in Western culture, sounds exotic in Japan, which is why the name was used for the mysterious girl with natural magic abilities.

When the localization team translated the game, many of the names were changed (some of them for reasons unknown). Anyway, they needed to change the name of Tina into something that would capture the exotic and mystique for Western minds. Allegedly, they picked the name "Terra" because one of the team members saw it on a logo on the side of a truck.

The reason I'm mentioning all this?

A lot of people and placed in Final Fantasy no doubt come from mythological and historical references. However, one can't get too carried away with how deep certain character names are, when they are only symbolic by means of coincidence. So I'd take all the allusions with a grain of salt.

As it's said when talking about psychological analysis: sometimes we have to accept that a cigar is just a cigar.

Thats true, but even a seemed coincidence may have been influenced by the writers subconcious.

Dracula is a good example of this.

E.G. Lucy Westenra (Western Ra? A European version of the Egyptian sun god?) or Mina Harker (To hark, to look, call out, to beckon?)

I'm not saying that all names in FF have to have a deep psychological meaning but its still an interesting topic.

Last edited:
I agree that there can still be deep meaning behind coincidences.

I'm a believer in archetypal psychology to some extent, so I do think that our acquired folklore is programmed into our creative channels. But I don't believe it works for Terra/Tina, and just wanted to post a counterpoint to keep the discussion fair on both sides of the literary fence.

Zack's full name is Zack Fair, this is to serve as a parallel to Cloud Strife. Aeris is connected Eris in Japanese, and in Greek Mythology Eris is the Goddess of Strife, Subtly adding to the connection between her and Cloud

Correct on the first, wrong on the second.
I know only one website which claims that and it's ran by a Cleris fangirl who thinks everything in FFVII adds to the connection between Cloud and Aeris. Because, you know, FFVII is FFVIII and love is a main theme. :rolleyes:

Aerith Gainsborough is the way it is written, Aeris being only the way it is pronounced. Lots of names got butchered in FFVII, including Sierra's and Marlene's. And her name was chosen because it is actually a play on the word "Earth", indicative of her Cetra heritage. None of this Greek Goddess stuff. Se-fi-ro-su is how Sephiroth's is pronounced in japanese. Does that mean he's connected to some other god too, which subtly links him to Cloud?

Tifa is a play on the name Tiffany, which the staff thought sounded pretty.

there are a few theories on how vincent valentine got his name
the 'valentine' may have come from st. valentine while the 'vincent' may have come from either the name of the horror movie actor vincent price, or the painter vincent van gogh.

...that's just what i heard, where they got the name is beyond me.

cait sith's name refers to a creature in celtic mythology called the cat sidhe, or cait sith(same spelling). it's a large fairy cat that is primarily black save for a single white spot on its chest. the cat sidhe is not to be confused with the cu sidhe, or 'fairy dog'

sephiroth gets his name from the sefiroth, also called the sephirot or sefirah, which, according to wikipedia, is the name used for the ten attributes(in judaism) that god can use to manifest 'not only the physical but the metaphysical universe'

chances are that they picked the name because sephiroth himself, is a demigod of sorts

BTW, on a related note, the 'safer' in 'safer sephiroth' may have been a screw-up on the translator's part because i think it was supposed to be 'savior sephiroth' i'm sure any new FF7 player would ask, 'i don't understand what's so 'safe' about 'safer sephiroth'*rimshot*

...it sounded a lot funnier in my head

on an unrelated note, i have a friend named vincent

Last edited:
The "safer" in Safer Sephiroth was most likely meant to be seraph, but perhaps it got transcribed wrong into Japanese and doubly mistranslated when it went from Japanese to English.

The "safer" in Safer Sephiroth was most likely meant to be seraph, but perhaps it got transcribed wrong into Japanese and doubly mistranslated when it went from Japanese to English.

...well, i was half right ^^; it was a translation screw up

btw, was my 'safer sephiroth' joke funny?

Back