Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Tie-dus

Votes: 51 73.9%

• Total voters

Davey Gaga

Under you like a G.U.Y.
Veteran
Gil
Ok, I have a real problem. I've always said "Tee-dus", but my friends are convinced it's "Tie-dus".

Inside my version of FFX, there was a bonus disc, it had an interview with James Arnold Taylor (Tidus) and Hedy Buress(Yuna).

James pronounces it "Tee-dus".

In Kingdom Hearts II, Selphie says "Tie-dus".

Who's right? The person who acted FOR Tidus, or another character, working for the company involved in the production of Tidus? I'm clueless now:wacko:

I would believe the person who actually did his voice in the actual game.

And just for the record, I pronounce it Tee-dus. ^_^

I think that maybe that Japanese pronounciation of it is Tee-dus. I know most North Americans call him Tie-dus as his name is based off of water and the tide. To me I say Tie-dus because it sounds better and it just rolls off of the tongue better. Tee-dus just doesn't sound right in my opinion lol but everybody has their own way to say it. Either way is fine, I just prefer Tie-dus.

I think that maybe that Japanese pronounciation of it is Tee-dus. I know most North Americans call him Tie-dus as his name is based off of water and the tide. To me I say Tie-dus because it sounds better and it just rolls off of the tongue better. Tee-dus just doesn't sound right in my opinion lol but everybody has their own way to say it. Either way is fine, I just prefer Tie-dus.
Now that i think of it, Tee-dus sounds japanese!

I've always said Tie-dus. But in Kingdom Hearts when your on the island and you talk to Wakka, he clearly says Tee-dus.

In Kingdom Hearts II Selphie calls him Tie-dus, that's where the confusion lies. Oh well, I still prefer Tie-dus ^_^

Until the release of Kingdom Hearts II, it was a generally accepted fact that it's Tee-dus, and not Tie-dus. Simply put, whoever penned the script for KH-II (or maybe the actress playing Selphie) fucked up.

Tidus_Girl (not surprisingly) is the closest to correct on this.

His name in Japanese is ティーダ (you'll need the Japanese character set installed to see that text, otherwise it'll just be a bunch of squares). This translates into English as Tīda (note the fadda on the i), which when spoken phonetically, is Teeda.

Question solved. *thumbs up*

Until the release of Kingdom Hearts II, it was a generally accepted fact that it's Tee-dus, and not Tie-dus. Simply put, whoever penned the script for KH-II (or maybe the actress playing Selphie) fucked up.

Tidus_Girl (not surprisingly) is the closest to correct on this.

His name in Japanese is ティーダ (you'll need the Japanese character set installed to see that text, otherwise it'll just be a bunch of squares). This translates into English as Tīda (note the fadda on the i), which when spoken phonetically, is Teeda.

Question solved. *thumbs up*

I don't see a fadda over the i in "Tidus"...

It's like saying my name (Michael) is pronounced "Mee-shell", because that's from the French pronounce it.

It's like saying my name (Michael) is pronounced "Mee-shell", because that's from the French pronounce it.
No, the fadda is in "Tida", not Tidus, which is his name directly from Japanese.

"s" as a singular pronouncable letter doesn't exist in any form of the Japanese language. That's where the confusion exists.

Tee-da. Tee-dus.

It's the same issue with Aeris and Aerith. The SPELLING is Air-it. But the pronunciation is Air-ees. Regardless of how you look at the word, the correct way to say her name is "Air-ees"

Air-ith. Air-ees.

Another example?

Quis-ta. Quis-tis

James Arnold Taylor obviously knows what his own characters is named as, and Tidus is even referred to as Tee-dus in Kingdom Hearts one. The only time he has ever openly been refered to as Tie-dus is Kingdom Hearts II.

The reasoning I'm working on is that that if it's Tee in the Japenese, it's going to be Tee in the English, which is backed up by the fact that that's what he's been called everywhere but KH-2.

If you wish to stick to the game's Japanese roots; Tee-dus.
How could that be sticking to the Japanese roots when his names in the Japense version is Tee-da. Nomura himself has explained where the name came from (Tiida means "sun"), and he even said the name as "Tee-da" in video interviews.

I think the creator of the character knows better than everyone else.

Last edited:
No, the fadda is in "Tida", not Tidus, which is his name directly from Japanese.

"s" as a singular pronouncable letter doesn't exist in any form of the Japanese language. That's where the confusion exists.

Tee-da. Tee-dus.

It's the same issue with Aeris and Aerith. The SPELLING is Air-it. But the pronunciation is Air-ees. Regardless of how you look at the word, the correct way to say her name is "Air-ees"

Air-ith. Air-ees.

Another example?

Quis-ta. Quis-tis

Tidus is the ENGLISH version of his name. If they wanted to stick with the Japanese, go with Tida.

Tell me, how do you pronounce "Vulcan"? Do you pronounce the V as in "volleyball"? You do? Guess what, it's not supposed to. The Latin name is "Vulcanus", and the V is pronounced like a W. "Wool-con-oos".

James Arnold Taylor obviously knows what his own characters is named as, and Tidus is even referred to as Tee-dus in Kingdom Hearts one. The only time he has ever openly been refered to as Tie-dus is Kingdom Hearts II.

The reasoning I'm working on is that that if it's Tee in the Japenese, it's going to be Tee in the English, which is backed up by the fact that that's what he's been called everywhere but KH-2.
You would've though someone might've caught that "mistake"? This is why I say, pronounce it however you like.

How could that be sticking to the Japanese roots when his names in the Japense version is Tee-da. Nomura himself has explained where the name came from (Tiida means "sun"), and he even said the name as "Tee-da" in video interviews.

I think the creator of the character knows better than everyone else.

It's sticking to the roots, because the Japanese called him "Tee-dus". Most Americans I know would call him "Tie-dus", as that is how you pronounce the letters "T-i-d-u-s", thanks to the Roman Emperor Tidus.

When it's all said and done, pronounce it however you want.

Back