PS or GBA version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your style of play

While both versions have their strengths and weaknesses, it really depends on what you want of a Final Fantasy version.

The PlayStation version has two modes of difficulty: Easy and Original. The Original mode is the same as the NES version of Final Fantasy released in 1987, while the Easy mode has cheaper spells, equipment and is easier to play through on a single go. The graphics in this version are fairly good, and the monsters have been well redesigned. This is more for you if you want to play the original NES version without spending money on a NES and the game.

On the other hand, the GBA version only has one mode of difficulty: the Easy mode from the PlayStation version. The graphics are just about the same except for the text in the character information at the bottom of the battle screens. There are also extra dungeons with bosses from future Final Fantasy games, such as Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V.

It's a toss-up. In my personal opinion, the PlayStation version is slightly better, but it's your call.

I only played most of the GBA version, I like it because i can bring it with me and play it anytime anywhere i want, it's handy for trafic jams, when stuck on a bus for a while. ^_^

I want to point out if you have a PS3 the old PS games had a hard time running on it and the FF remakes have frozen on me many times. If you have a PS2 or even a PS1 grab the PS version of FF. Also if you have a PSP grab THAT one instead. It looks amazing.

I think the PS version has better graphics and sounds but it doesn't have the bonus dungeons so you should rather play the GBA version. the PSP version is amazing too. but too bad I'd rather not buy it if I finished the game already.

I would recomened it on the gameboy because it's portable and I personal think the PS ports feel too slow and boring.
It also allows you to play FF on the can.

If you enjoy it there then you should look into a cheap ps FF and play the original difficulty.

okay thanks all. yeah the GBA version could be slower and it has no extra dungeons right? I guess I'll just go for the GBA.

oops sorry I mean the slower is the PS version. it's faithful to the original? now that's worth a try.

I found the PS versions frustrating as opening/closing menus took too long. Well, not long but after awhile it would begin to annoy you aswell as the length it took to change between random encounters. The GBA versions are more flee flowing than the the PS versions.

i've only played it on ps1 but on GB would just be awful because it stinks on ps1 so like Game Boy = im thinking it would suck@@@!!!!

It's always graphics with you. :dry: Besides, I think the GBA version looks better since the PS version would look more stretched on TV and the colour looks a bit dull. The GBA version looks right aswell as the colour brightness toned up a bit.

As has been said before, the PS version contains a graphically updated version of the original NES difficulty mode, but also has an updated Easy mode that is excruciatingly easier for some fans of the original. Load times are slightly slower on the disk and the save system is much slower on PS, plus this version lacks portability.

The GBA version is incredibly easy, with the exception of the optional dungeons (which I still found quite simple). It operates much faster and is more streamlined in load times and overall speed, but the main problem with any handheld is battery usage.

god, the one thing I absolutely HATE about the GBA FFs is that they seem to be made for 5th-graders or younger, because the difficulty level is fairly nonexistant...at least compared to the originals...WAY, WAY TOO EASY!!

I'd go with either the original NES FF1, or the ROM running on a DreamCast through NESTERDC SE (works perfectly, saves on a memory card, and you get FFII and FFIII and every other NES game EVER, as well), or, if you HAVE to have updated graphics, get Origins...DON'T get GBA, unless you want a version that you can breeze through with NO CHALLENGE WHATSOEVER...

Last edited:
Meh, I liked the GBA version; I haven't played the PS version, but (to me) the portability makes up for the shortcomings mentioned here.
And another really random point... a lot of DS games with GBA games related to them will involve unlockables that are discovered through putting the GBA games in while playing the DS game, so if you are planning on buying Tactics Advance: A2, Crystal Chronicles, or XII Revenant Wings, you MAY get unlockables through the GBA version.
Just something to consider.

hehe I think they're really equal to me. the GBA version has the dungeons and works fast while the PS version has better graphics and more challenging difficulty. I haven't really played it much but I'd prefer the GBA ver. bcoz of the extra dungeons. I actually finished it yesterday and I reached Lv. 99. I level up a lot in the last place and the last boss was really no match for Omega and Shinryu.

GBA version because, you can bring it anywhere, it really doesn't matter what mode you play and it's better than the PSs in my oponoin but just a touch better.

Not only is the difficulty level nonexistent in the PSX easy mode/GBA version, it is almost like having some sort of God mode. I just sort of strolled through the GBA version. I don't think even one of my party members ever died.

Since the game has a simple storyline, most of the game's fun comes from the difficulty level and refining a carefully chosen party. Go for the PSX version.

I think the GBA version looks better since the PS version would look more stretched on TV and the colour looks a bit dull. The GBA version looks right aswell as the colour brightness toned up a bit.

FF2 was unplayable for me on the PS1 because of that, the colors were too much. :monster:

Pick up the GBA version. It has extra dungeons offering you Ultimate Weapons. The Screen on the GBA is preset who everything looks like it should be looking, unlike on the PS1 version where a TV that's too big can ruin everything.

i think you should play the PS Version on the original difficuluty and play the GBA version on the easy mode just so you can see the diff between the two

the GBA version by far. it flows better. looks better. and its portable. what else do you want?

plus its going to be easier to find in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back