Recommend A Novel!

Davey Gaga

Under you like a G.U.Y.
Veteran
Gil
This thread is somewhat self-explanatory.

I'd recommend anything written by the author, Cliff McNish. While his writing is primarily directed towards children, I find his fantasies to be gripping until the final page. I'd certainly approve all of his books: The Doomspell Trilogy [The Doomspell, The Scent of Magic, The Wizard's Promise], The Silver Sequence [The Silver Child, Silver City, Silver World] and Breathe: A Ghost Story. He's also written "Angel", which I'm currently in the process of seeking out.

Anything by Stephen King. His books tend to drag on due to the massive amount of detail he includes in his writing, but I still regard his novels as being downright amazing. Well worth the read.

Misery isn't a bad novel to start with if you've never read one of his books. It's short, yet extremely descriptive. Awesome plot, characters, etc...

I'd recommend anything by Mercedes Lackey, as long as you like fantasy novels. She write really good books. The Last Herald-Mage trilogy is a good introduction to her universe because it helps you understand whats going on in the books so you don't pick up a random book and be like "What the heck does this word mean?" and also because it takes place a few hundred years before the majority of the other books.

The Comedians by Graham Greene. It's a funny book especially if you speak any french. It's humourous, but it's also a study of the dictatorship in Haiti, so it's political as well. It shows the corrupton of a state run by a dictator as well as having some romance and action. It's very well written and easy to understand.

A Child Called it. although it is the story of a man's Abused Childhood it is written really well and it is one of the few books i have ever managed to read cover to cover.

A Child Called it. although it is the story of a man's Abused Childhood it is written really well and it is one of the few books i have ever managed to read cover to cover.

Agreed, it's gripping stuff, and even though i's horrific, it is still an amzing read

A Million Little Peices - James Frey, it was hard to read at first, because theres no 'he said' 'she said' but once you get used to it and can remember who is meant to be saying what it really is an amazing story about a guy in rehab, pretty much addicted to everything you can think of (true story aswel) it goes into lovely detail of a root canal he had to have without pain relief

And it's basically just about his journey of recovery and that he would do it in his OWN way and not the help group way. It's also really moving - I'd recommend everyone read this

I have to recommend Atonement by Ian McEvan. For those who have seen the movie: the book is a hundered times better. The way he describes emotions is just so spot on, and the language is just breath-taking.
Also The Process by Kafka is really good. I mean, it's a bit heavy, but once you get used to the writing style it just blows you away!!!! Nether of theese books are fantasy though. But for all fantasy-lovers I must recommend the Deverry series by Katharine Kerr!

Alrighty, if you're into medieval mysteries, I highly suggest Michael Jecks. Start with The Butcher of St. Peter's, what Jecks does is take cases from medieval England and turn them into novels. They are a gripping read and a wonderful source of entertainment.

If you're into forensic fantasy (like medieval mystery but in a fantasy realm), then I recommend Tamara Siler Jones. She only has three books, they aren't necessarily a trilogy, but it would do some good to read them in order. Ghosts in the Snow, Threads of Malice, Valley of the Soul. Awesome books. Amazing detail.

If you're into a good romance with excellent violence, Christine Feehan is the way to go! Start with Dark Magic, it's absolutely beautiful in the diction.

Inkheart! It's truly a wonderful book, it had me gripped. Do not see the movie before reading the book. The movie is shit, the book is amazing. It probably wasn't all that original, but the way the author wrote it was wonderful, you really felt for the characters and you really did wonder what would happen next - it wasn't as predictable as most books.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, followed by A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and finally A Feast For Crows. Excellent Reads. Twisting plot that keeps you panting for more. Also The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum.

Id have to say The Belgariad by David Eddings.
Amazing story set in ancient times, full of magic and great detail. I reckommend this book to everyone!
It's about a young farm boy named Garion, who goes into a great adventure along with some of his companions, including his Aunt Pol. ITS JUST AMAZING, OK?!
It starts off with Pawn Of Prophecy and continues onto 4 more books, then moves onto 'The Mallorean', which is same characters, but different adventure and honestly just as thrilling!!

Honestly, i think anything written by David Eddings is worth reading, if you are into fiction and fantasy. He is just simply amazing and when him and his wife, Leah Eddings begin writting together...they are absolutely amazing o.o...

Magician - Raymond E Feist. IF you like FF (which you do haha) you will love his books, and Magician is one of the best international bestsellers.

Warriors xD

It's a series about four clans of cats who live under the warrior code of their ancestors. It starts off in a time that one clan, Thunderclan, is in need of warriors, and they stumble upon a house cat named Rusty, who they bring into the clan.

I really recommend it, its plot is better than I describe it xD

Hmmm

I really recently liked The Third Translation by Matt Bondurant. If you like Historical Fiction then anything by Harry Turtledove is quality. And if (like me) you are a bit of a Star Trek nut, then I recommend very much some of the Lost Era novels, particularly The Buried Age by Christopher Bennet.

But, if you have some time, and want to read a book that will MEAN something to you, then give Les Miserables by Victor Hugo a try...you will get something from it

D4D

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: It's basically a love story between two people, clare and Henry. Henry had a condition that makes him travel in and out of time against his will. It basically follows a linear time line starting where they meet while following Henry through time and filling in their past and even future. Simply put it is the single most Heartbreakingly beautiful piece I have ever read.

I'm going to have to go with some classics for now...

Crime and Punishment & Notes from Underground, both by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Dostoevsky is well known for his understanding of human psychology. It's rumored several people on death row who have read Crime and Punishment said Dostoevsky understands the mind of a killer so well that he must have dirty hands himself. The Underground Man of Notes from Underground is also a classic anti-hero in literature.

Also, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Classic distopia novel.

I would definitely recommend anyone to check out the author Christopher Paolini. He wrote my two favourite books, Eragon and Eldest. The two books are about a boy and his dragon. Though the movie was shit for Eragon, don't make that stop you from reading it. The ending is x10 better in the book and it has a lot of better features as well. Thats hope if they make an Eldest film, it will be better then Eragon. (Eldest is just the story continued on from the where they left off in Eragon.)

Also, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Classic distopia novel.

I actually thought Brave New World was the weakest of the, what I call, Big 3 Dystopian Novels -- 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World... I'm not counting We because, while it influenced the books, less people have heard of it -- but it's not really a bad book. It has great ideas. I didn't enjoy it much, though. For the record, Fahrenheit 451 is my favourite because it's efficient. It tackles big ideas, doesn't get too caught up in itself and even for beginner readers, it's quite short and relatively simple, in a good way.

My recommendation for a single book is The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia. It's kind of "gimmicky" so it might turn some people off. I think a gimmick is only a gimmick when it serves no purpose but I didn't have a better word. It uses columns a lot, and a few other things like blotting out certain sections. It takes equal influence from experimental magical realistic books, post-modern books and some other things like the Beats.

But underneath all the trickery, there's a great story, with a main theme of heart break, while tackling other issues. Has beautiful prose, sometimes a little difficult to understand since it's so symbolic, but it's completely original. It's a beautiful book, and one that maybe not many people have heard of.

Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend an author as a whole, since he's my favourite author: Kurt Vonnegut. He uses simple language (doesn't wank all over himself), his books are pretty short and "easy" reads, he tackles big issues, he's a master satirist, he's funny and tragic. Slaughterhouse-Five is his most recognized work, and it is a great war novel with time travel and other various oddities. You can start with that book, it's not my fave by him but it's still great.

I would recommend The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. It doesn't have much in the way of plot, it's just about a guy wandering around NYC after being kicked out of school, so it might not be everybody's thing. The characterisation in it is excellent though, Holden has a really interesting outlook on life and you feel like you can relate to him in lots of ways.

I would also recommend Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. In contrast with The Catcher in the Rye this book is pretty much purely plot, but I found it really exciting from start to finish and it's quite fast-paced too. It's probably my favourite book in terms of plot, I found it really interesting throughout. It's a lot better than The Da Vinci Code, too. And it makes me want to go back to Rome so badly. :(

Back