Sex Ed promotes promiscuity?

Catnip

Auto-Haste
Veteran
Gil
I think the idea that teaching kids about how condoms and the pill works is somehow telling them "go have sex" is ridiculous.

What do you think? Do you think sex education promotes promiscuity?

Hm.. It does promote promiscuity to a lesser extent, in my opinion. Sexual education is most likely to deter children from having unprotected sex, more than to deter promiscuity. Furthermore, it might bring the presence of sex to the children, whose innocent minds may not have known about it yet.

So, even if the intent to promote promiscuity wasn't even there originally, this already brought the idea to the child. Curiosity may then be the main reason that slowly leads to the child having sex... And find it fun... And later, promiscuity. The condoms and pills are just their back up, to defend against unwanted pregnancies.

All in all, I suppose Sexual Education to me is a double-edged sword. It can be beneficial, and educate children about how compromising unprotected sex can be- with the likes of AIDS around. Yet it can also be disadvantageous, in encouraging promiscuity to a certain extent.

Well, these are obviously my opinions. I don't really think I need, or even care about sexual education anyway.

It's always going to be a tough when teaching kids about this sort of thing.

In the end it's going to be their decision and it will come down to whether they choose to have sex or not.

You'll get your sensible ones who'll take in the information but won't go any further than that.

Then you'll get the ones who'll think that the pill is awesome because now they're guaranteed to be able to have sex and not have to worry about getting pregnant etc.

You may get the ones who don't have any idea about sex and there may be the fear of introducing the idea to them and not knowing how they'll use this new information.

Though if we don't teach them at some stage, they could find that they get themselves into a situation in which they have no idea what they're doing and this could lead to pregnancy or STD's etc.

It really does depend on what the child themselves does with the information and hopefully the people providing it will outline all the details as clearly as they can so that they will make the right decisions in that area.

I never had Sex Ed at all and I just knew from conversations with friends and from things that I saw on T.V that condoms protected you from STD's and pregnancy and the pill helped with regulating your period and stopping you from getting pregnant.

Though I also consulted a doctor about the pill and got more information on it before just diving into these things. They'll help themselves more if they research certain things before diving into having sex and screwing their lives up. You should really only have sex when you're with someone you love anyway in my opinion.

Last edited:
Personally i think it prompts people to have safe sex, i mean without sex Ed, guys wouldn't think about using Condom's because quite frencly. . . their uncomfortable (you know what i mean guys) and if it wasn't for the fact of you get told they stop kids most idiots wouldn't realise that.

and as for making kids want to have sex, i kinda think it does, because it informs you how to have safe sex, and whenkids learn about something they wanna try it out for themselves.

Well considering I don't even remember sex ed, besides the tag line saying on the black board "Sex is great." Honestly the guys had to be in one room and the girls had to be in another. It was pathetic.

It doesn't promote anything but the know how, it wasn't all that informative either. I mean I learned more from biology my freshmen year of high school than I did in my sex ed class. I mean baby birth, and blah blah.. but that's nothing to do with actual intercourse that is the aftermath.

So yea whoever came up with that notion probably just needs to go get an STD.

I was taught sex ed when I was 14 and I didnt actual have sex till I was 17, so I dont see anything wrong with it. At the end of the day, kids want to grow up too quickly. You cant blame the Government for wanting to educate children about sex and its aftermath. Some kids are soooooooooooooooo stupid they risk having sex and bringing an unplanned life into this world because either they werent told or they just dont listen.

When I got my first boyfriend my mum made me go onto the Pill and Im grateful to her for that. I use both condoms and the Pill as Im mega careful. Im happy my mum got me on the Pill as I didnt want to get pregnant anytime soon. Plus the Pill helps my monthly cycle.

I mean I learned more from biology my freshmen year of high school than I did in my sex ed class. I mean baby birth, and blah blah.. but that's nothing to do with actual intercourse that is the aftermath.

I remember watching a video in what I think was a sex ed class in year seven I think and all it showed was a woman giving birth.

They really didn't know what they were doing when trying to teach us about sex. >_< They're meant to show what happens BEFORE you give birth.

I remember learning more in my Biology class too. Seeing as I never had Sex Ed besides that one little episode in year seven, Biology was the only class that ever went near the subject.

When I got my first boyfriend my mum made me go onto the Pill and Im grateful to her for that. I use both condoms and the Pill as Im mega careful. Im happy my mum got me on the Pill as I didnt want to get pregnant anytime soon. Plus the Pill helps my monthly cycle.

My mum did the same thing.

Thankfully she wasn't so stupid as to think that I wouldn't do anything with any boyfriend I got and just denied me access to such things.

I was 17 at the time of my first boyfriend but we never did anything, but I still went on the pill and found that it helped with my monthly cycle and also prepared me for my next boyfriend.

I'm also really careful in that I use condoms and the pill ALL the time. There has never been ANY exception. I would die if I found out that I was pregnant after one stupid night of, 'I couldn't be bothered to grab the condoms.'

I think that whether or not parents want their kids to be taught about sex, they're going to find out from their friends anyway.

Kids are just getting too much information too early these days and the earlier we get to them will be for the better and they can choose what they do with the information.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the child being taught. My father asked me to explain how things work and such to my sister that is 13 years old. I don't know if it's the way I explained it or if she just reacted that way, but she decided then that she didn't care much for the idea of sex. More because she said it sounded gross, and that it wasn't appealing.

I don't think explaining how it all works is going to make someone go out and do it. I personally think it's the feeling of sex that makes people keep coming back. So when one child knows what it feels like, and expresses to another then they're bound to want to know.

Also, sex comes from peer pressure as well. I am proud to admit that I am a virgin. In high school I want taunted for it. A few of the band boys always told me that I was a girl, what else was I suppose to do besides blow them and sleep with them?

So really, I don't think explaining how it works, and getting kids into knowing how to prevent certain things is going to make them want to do it more.

I think it depends on the child being taught. My father asked me to explain how things work and such to my sister that is 13 years old.

Also, sex comes from peer pressure as well. I am proud to admit that I am a virgin. In high school I want taunted for it. A few of the band boys always told me that I was a girl, what else was I suppose to do besides blow them and sleep with them?

Your dad put you on the spot like that? Wow how uncomfortable, by that age I knew like hell everything there was to know and not because of experience (since i was still a virgin till 18).

Sex does come from peer pressure, careful with that. Girls make the mistake of being with a guy because she just wants to be free of the word "virgin". Wouldn't you rather have sex with someone you know and love and can share at least quite a bit of time with in this crazy life? I mean hoping from ____ to ____ is set up for a life of hurt.

Sex Ed only promotes safety, but literally they don't show proper forms of safe sex.. only birth giving and the after effects. I would never teach the class because I would look like a perv, but I know someone needs to do it.

Woohoo, something that I have experience with.

My school doesn't have a very good sex ed class at all, and yet half the girls are pregnant. So, uh, obviously they learned it somewhere else, didn't they? And, guess what, they obviously weren't taught to use protection.

So, I support Sex Ed classes because they aren't taught like a how to course. There's no hand's on activity involved, parents, so don't worry. But, uh, if you don't want your kid to get pregnant, then it's up to you or the school to teach them how to use protection.

I'm surprised that this argument pops up as much as it does, because, with our current culture, you can't escape sex, no matter what you get taught at school. You can, however, teach children how to do it "right" and safely, and save them from catching AIDs or getting pregnant accidentally.

This is difficult to determine. It really depends on the curriculum, 'cause - believe it or not - not all students are having sex. I don't really think that sex ed is what's going to be the determining factor in the kids decision to have sex. Ultimately, it is going to be up to them. If the curriculum is providing students with the proper information, giving them the facts and data that they need to know, then - if anything - sex education is just comforting the blow. At least, if the student has completed the course, they can go into the decision with the knowledge they need. Whether they use it is up to them.

Back