Should I get the remake?

Guernsey

Final Fantasy Nut
Gil
I know you see threads like this but I want to know more about the remake of Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III) before I buy it. I am playing the translated rom version of the game (although I am not sure if it is accurate or not) but I plan to get the actual game soon enough as well the remake but I want to know if there are somethings in the remake that I should be aware of and if you would recommend me getting it.

1) There's absolutely no need to refer to FFVI as FFIII unless you're actually strictly talking about the NA SNES version for some reason. I think we're all agreed that we know that it's actually FFVI at this point, right? Just a small thing, I thought I'd point it out...

2) The RPGOne retranslation of FFVI is beyond accurate. It's easily the most literal translation you can find for the game. Being a purist in this fashion that I am, that makes it the best in that vein.

3) FFVI Advance has a nice inbetween translation of Woosly's original translation & RPGOne's more literal translation. It isn't perfect, but I think it's a step up from the original.

There are some small things that only fans of the game already will notice & take offense to (NO CHAINED UP TO THE WALL CELES SPRITE?!?!)...otherwise, there are a few extras that make it "better" than the original...or, at least, there's just more content...I'd suggest emulating it too if you've already gone that route already...GBA emulators are great! Just as sturdy & reliable as SNES ones at least...

But, then again, if FFIII DS & FFIV DS are any example, I think it's safe to expect a FFVI DS somewhere down the line...so, unless you're a fan, maybe wait it out a bit longer if you really want a more full experience?

It's worth picking up, even if just for collection purposes. They've added some extra dungeons and new Espers, and not to mention you can take FFVI with you anywhere you go. I'd check it out.

Back