Square Enix The Last Remnant

It looked good from what I read in Game Informer a while back, and I want to play it still. Hopefully it's good ^^

I am so excited about this game. I read that it will be released simultaneously in Japan and America and the main character is going to be voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, who happens to be my favorite voice actor evar. It looks absolutely amazing too ^_^

The Last Remnant(NEW and updated with info and NEW TRAILER RELEASED IN 2008

I just figured since the old one seems kinda dead and didn't really have much I would make a newer one. personally I am pumped for this game I think it looks awesome.

heres a trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BL5foFbBRgs

heres some info and other stuff on it. the following is from IGN.

lastremnant3_2.jpg

June 1, 2007 - It feels a bit strange turning to an all Xbox magazine for the scoop on the latest Square Enix RPG, but with Last Remnant, we're having to do just that. Famitsu Xbox 360 scored an interview with the producers and designers of the multiplatform RPG which first debuted at the Square Enix Party a couple of weeks ago.

The main players in the four page interview with the monthly magazine are director Hiroshi Takai (battle system director on Romancing Saga Minstrel Song), chief artist Kimihiko Miyamae (background director for FF and SaGa titles), art producer Yusuke Naora (art direction on FF and SaGa games) and producer Nobuyuki Ueda (project management for the SaGa series).

The four first discussed Last Remnant's background and their personal involvement in the project. Ueda's role started when work on Romancing Saga Minstrel for the PS2 finished. There was talk within Square Enix of creating an original, new brand, and Ueda was placed in charge of the planning.

Following up on his role with Romancing Saga, Takai seemed to have a particular interest in the Last Remnant battle system, despite being the project's overall director. He revealed that planning began with the idea of making an RPG with a new type of battle system, something that he hoped to be of a larger scale than that of Romancing Saga.

Naora and Miyame are filling a number of roles for both the artistic and technical areas of Lost Remnant. Naora is handling the character design work and all 2D artwork. Miyame is managing the character and background modeling, motion and textures. As this is his first project using Epic's Unreal Engine 3, getting used to the engine was quite the task, he admitted. Early work with the engine involved getting lots of characters on screen for the battles.

There has been some concern that the battle system may be too complicated. The four addressed those concerns. Takai likened the battle system to that of a standard RPG, where the fighting begins only once you've input all your commands. Players aren't required to issue difficult commands in real time.

Ueda also brushed off concerns about managing a large number of characters in battle, noting that you can issue commands to "unions," groupings of at most five characters. Expanding a bit, he revealed that you can freely edit your unions, and based off your choices and the current set of enemies, your command options will change. It's possible that you'll be presented with a bunch of attack options, or you may end up being able to select "flee" and nothing more.

Takai addressed one of the more mysterious sides of the game, the tension gauge. During battle, a bar at the top of the screen (visible in our old screen shots) indicates the current status of enemy and ally forces. If you make effective movements, your tension gauge will rise and you'll win the battle. But make inappropriate movements, and your gauge will drop and enemies will come in for attack.

It's possible to make sudden changes in the tension gauge, effectively changing the direction of battle. If, for instance, the enemy forces are using two unions to fight a single union on your side, the enemy will be at high tension. If you manage to defeat the two unions, the enemy tension will drop suddenly, and you'll be in the favorable position.

Moving away from gameplay, the two art supervisors fielded a few questions about the game's art direction. Originally, there was some talk about using a fantasy-style setting for Last Remnant, but Miyamae wanted to keep the game from looking like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. He also wanted something that would look somewhat European to Japanese players and somewhat Asian to western players, resulting in the use of a middle ages style of setting.

The trailer that attendees of the Square Enix Party got to see was pretty early, Miyamae revealed. While the trailer was all realtime, texturing and modeling work were only at the 30% level. On the note of realtime versus pre-rendered, Naora stated that the development staff is attempting to use realtime wherever possible, although he feels many will think they're looking at movie scenes.

Last Remnant caused considerable noise at its announcements due to some of the firsts it represents. Aside from being Square Enix's first Unreal Engine 3 title, it's also the company's first multiplatform title (we're ignoring FFXI, of course) and its first worldwide simultaneous release (we're ignoring Europe, of course). Ueda feels that, although the development environment can be tough, multiplatform has strong merits, most notably that it allows people to play the game without having to purchase new hardware. The simultaneous release seems like an obvious choice, as Takai revealed that Square Enix's North American staffers offered their opinions on story, visualization and other areas.

Surprisingly, Square Enix isn't cutting corners for the localization of the game. While the Square Enix Party trailer had English voices, the Japanese version of the game will likely include full Japanese voiceovers. Takai's wording made it seem that Square Enix is considering giving Japanese players the option for English or Japanese voiceovers; if this is the case, perhaps we can hope for a similar option in the western version.

Players can expect around 30 hours of play time to clear the game, Takai said. The team isn't considering mutliplayer network play for the game, although we may end up seeing network content that benefits single player play.

The four wouldn't give a specific release date. In fact, Ueda joked that development is regressing two steps back for every three steps forward. That still sounds like progress, and at least when development does finish, we won't have to tack on an extra year for the localization.

officialwebsite_splash.jpg

58374_2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, it's perfectly okay to revive old threads...and the last post was just month, so I'll merge both threads. ;)

-Threads Merged-

Sounds cool, I really need to buy a PS3 or an XboX 360 D: however what exactly is this moral bar for? o_O

yEAH it should be awesome. I have a PS3 and a 360, but I will probably get it for PS3. hopefully it will come out early next year.

The storyline seems to attract me and feels a little dark.What I wish for is that this game isn't sunk into chaos and drama.I'd like a few funny scenes.

Really??? I like chaos and drama lol. I always like when they go in the direction of dark-storyline games. Although I see your point of having funny parts too.

I just watched the trailer then considering I know every little about what it is going to be like and I can say that it looks like I am going to greatly enjoy playing it.
The trailer looks like it has an amazing storyline with a dark plot which is always a liking of mine because the whole game seems to become somewhat serious.

But it definitely looks like it will be worth the buy. ^_^

I just watched the trailer then considering I know every little about what it is going to be like and I can say that it looks like I am going to greatly enjoy playing it.
The trailer looks like it has an amazing storyline with a dark plot which is always a liking of mine because the whole game seems to become somewhat serious.

But it definitely looks like it will be worth the buy. ^_^

I agree with you all the way on that one. I will definately pick this game up aswell :)

I hope the battle system doesn't disappoint us,even though I read that it'll be different than the other RPGs.

The battle system can be seen in the trailer and it looks like it should be pretty cool and I think that the game is still being made and stuff like that so they will make improvments and all that.

Seems to have potential and I'm quite interested to see something different coming from Square. I haven't looked into the game that much, but from what I've seen it looks to be promising.

I remember when I first heard about this. seeing: "The Last Remnant" people were wondering what it was. They were like: "Is it a new Kingdom Hearts title? Is it a new Final Fantasy title ?. This was mostly when the first trailer had come out with unfamilar characters people were like what is this?. I wonder what TLR will become. Will it be like Final Fantasy and just keeps going on?(doubt it) will it be like Kingdom Hearts and have a small amount of games maybe a trilogy(although now there are 6 Kingdom Hearts games). We will see. I would like to see TLR go places and not be a one game deal. I would like to see it be a trilogy with three games like the average movie trilogys.

Like:

The Last Remnant.

The Last Remnant II:(Subtitle)

The Last Remnant III: Subtitle)

Last edited:
the last remnant

this game is going to be gr8 but what is the certificate rating in the UK all i know that is going to be M in the US, meaning mature

lol

-Threads Merged- Please check for existing threads more thoroughly. Thanks. =]

Much love for this as it looks amazing and cant wait for it. I love Rush Skye, finally a male character whom I can drool over lol. The battle system looks amazing and hope it lives up to the great reviews its recieved.

It'll be a 12, something like that. Its not going to be an 18 as that would rank as an adult in US I think.

Back