Thoughts of an Old-School FF and Square Player

Also, AC gave birth to the dreaded emo Cloud. Sure he existed before AC, but now it's like the fanfiction version of him came to life and it's in almost every fanfic now.

I don't think Cloud should be considered emo at all in the game. I mean sure, he wasn't exactly the happiest guy in the world, but he was struggling with his identity, Aerith's death, and could have his body taken over by Sephi.

AC was just stupid though, because in the game Cloud actually comes to terms with Aerith's death on the Highwind by saying they need to let go of her memory so she can return to the planet. In AC he's thinking about her so much her spirit shows up half time. Completely idiotic, SE can't even follow the source material.

If Sakaguchi was still with Square i'm sure it would be a benevolent giant, however, since Enix has merged with it and most of the original Square team has left, all Enix has done is use Square's good name to whore out VII and make mediocre games. All these sequels and spin-offs are blatant money schemes, but as i said in another thread, we have shallow gamers today who will buy anything that's pretty, whether it's shite or not.
For the most part, Enix has nothing to do with the decisions made on Square games and vise versa. The decision to whore out FFVII came from the people who all worked on the original game (Nomura and co, in other words).

It's also probably worth noting that while long time fans of the Final Fantasy series are becoming increasingly disapointed in it's more recent offerings, Dragon Quest (ie Enix's flagship franchise) fans have been extremely receptive to it's latest installment and consider it among the best titles in the series. The notion that Enix is the one degrading the quality of the companies seems fairly unlikely.

Beyond that I don't have much to say about this. I like about the same proportion of Square's new games as their old games.

For the most part, Enix has nothing to do with the decisions made on Square games and vise versa. The decision to whore out FFVII came from the people who all worked on the original game (Nomura and co, in other words).

It's also probably worth noting that while long time fans of the Final Fantasy series are becoming increasingly disapointed in it's more recent offerings, Dragon Quest (ie Enix's flagship franchise) fans have been extremely receptive to it's latest installment and consider it among the best titles in the series. The notion that Enix is the one degrading the quality of the companies seems fairly unlikely.

Beyond that I don't have much to say about this. I like about the same proportion of Square's new games as their old games.

Oh...well i'm just as happy placing the blame on Nomura, i don't like him. As i've stated before, i don't think he has any artistic talent, because anyone can draw generic anime characters. Just pick up a "how to draw anime" book and you're all set to be the next Nomura.

I digress though. If what you say is true and it's Nomura...then that means there stands a good chance of VIII getting a sequel.

And i bought Dragon Quest 8 when it came out. I didn't like it, it was a tad boring. And i've seen better clown/jester villains (like Kefka...or the Joker).

Back