Was I wrong?(all opinions welcome, even yours Decado :P)

I'll be completely honest and say that both of you were a BIT wrong. I agree with both sides in that I think the girl was wrong for being rude and for you to assume that she spoke Spanish (she did, after all, speak in English first as you described).

That's why I never respond in a different language than the one I'm spoken to, which, surprisingly, pops up every other week or so in my Filipino community. >.>

My waiter also spoke to me in English though >.>. And she spoke spanish.

Was it wrong of me to assume the girl was spanish speaking?

Yes, you're in America, an English speaking country.
Am I truly rude & stereotypical, or is the girl just a drama queen?

You were rude, and the girl wasn't a drama queen, she was just an average English speaking American that wanted to communicate in the home language.

Who's truly at fault

You.

(Hey, nice to meet you by the way!)

Imo its not your fault,you did nothing wrong.You were in a place where most of the ppl could speak in Spanish so you thought she could.Plus she was overreacting and being such a drama queen.Plus imo she was being very rude I mean she just assumed you said something bad in Spanish and just started crying.It's not your fault at all.You were being very polite about it.But I do have to admit was alittle rude that you assumed that she could speak in Spanish.

Imo its not your fault,you did nothing wrong.You were in a place where most of the ppl could speak in Spanish so you thought she could.

Do you think it's right that there are segregated ethnic areas, where you can't get a job because you don't speak their foreign language (many businesses in California/Texas/etc... require you to be bilingual in Spanish/English) or that make you feel like your not even in Kansas anymore?

I mean she just assumed you said something bad in Spanish and just started crying.

I could be wrong, but I don't think she "cried" because she thought he said something rude... I think the poor girl just wanted to speak English because it's her home language.

Yes, you're in America, an English speaking country.

You were rude, and the girl wasn't a drama queen, she was just an average English speaking American that wanted to communicate in the home language.

You.

(Hey, nice to meet you by the way!)

Its nice to meet you too...

You do realize Miami has a heavy cuban population right?

America isn't an "english" speaking country by law as it has no official language. The national langage is of course english by it is by de facto meaning by custom, not de jure meaning its law. So by those terms it is an english speaking country by custom :P.

Your answer is somewhat ignorant, but meh it is your opinion. Still the girl could've told me the first time she didn't speak spanish, she didn't need to display that sort of behavior. Also note it was a family run bussiness. Look at some chinese takeout places for example.

Do you think it's right that there are segregated ethnic areas, where you can't get a job because you don't speak their foreign language (many businesses in California/Texas/etc... require you to be bilingual in Spanish/English) or that make you feel like your not even in Kansas anymore?

[/
QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. While what you say is true, and unfortunate Miami isn't one of those places. Places like this exist all around the world, not just in the U.S, but then again you never mentioned they were U.S exclusive =).

I could be wrong, but I don't think she "cried" because she thought he said something rude... I think the poor girl just wanted to speak English because it's her home language

This sounds ridicolous. No she didn't cry, but she did get mad at me. She isn't a victim as you portray her to be, is this your honest opinion, or you playing devils advocate? Your basically saying it was ok for her to lash at me like that, no offense but you come off to me as a bit racist.

Your opinion is a bit eerie to say in the least. But thanks, opinions like yours make threads interesting, and a bit diverse =). Look forward to your response.

- Kuja

Last edited:
You do realize Miami has a heavy cuban population right?

They're either Cuban, or they're American, they can't be both.

America isn't an "english" speaking country by law as it has no official language. The national langage is of course english by it is by de facto meaning by custom, not de jure meaning its law. So by those terms it is an english speaking country by custom :P.

Yes, and America is an oddity in the world because of this. Most countries have an official language, for a reason.

Your answer is somewhat ignorant, but meh it is your opinion.

How so?

Also note it was a family run bussiness. Look at some chinese takeout places for example.

Yes, and I disagree with Chinese immigrants speaking Mandarin/Cantonese too.

Miami isn't one of those places. Places like this exist all around the world, not just in the U.S, but then again you never mentioned they were U.S exclusive =).

"All around the world", you should have really put "In western/European countries", try any of those multicultural shenanigans around anywhere else you'd be laughed at/shot.

Also notice that "multicultural" areas have the most crime in western nations. The US, France, Britain and Germany are excellent examples of this.

Your basically saying it was ok for her to lash at me like that

If you live in America you should be lashed out at for not speaking English.

no offense but you come off to me as a bit racist.

A language is not a race.

Your opinion is a bit eerie to say in the least. But thanks, opinions like yours make threads interesting, and a bit diverse =). Look forward to your response.

They're either Cuban, or they're American, they can't be both.

What if they're Cuban-American =D.

Yes, and America is an oddity in the world because of this. Most countries have an official language, for a reason.

How so?

Yes, and I disagree with Chinese immigrants speaking Mandarin/Cantonese too.

"All around the world", you should have really put "In western/European countries", try any of those multicultural shenanigans around anywhere else you'd be laughed at/shot.

Also notice that "multicultural" areas have the most crime in western nations. The US, France, Britain and Germany are excellent examples of this.

If you live in America you should be lashed out at for not speaking English.

A language is not a race.

I see, your a man who loves his country, and doesn't wanna see it change, ok I understand =).

I respect your opinion, but you should watch what you say, some people might perceive it as racist, I dont believe anybody should be treated badly because they don't speak a countries national *cough* language, but they should learn it, I dont think anybody is going to dispute that.

I said you were somewhat racist because of your somewhat "preserving" views, but now I see your just concerned about the U.S having a situation similiar to France's.

- Kuja

I see, your a man who loves his country, and doesn't wanna see it change, ok I understand =).

My country ... not so much, I'm leaving as soon as I finish Uni. Not that I hate the country I live, rather I've just never felt I belong here. That being said. I don't think it is a matter of patriotism, and culture never stays the same, it always changes, however a singular language is the most uniting social factor of all men, much above nation, race, and religion. And I'd prefer to live in a cohesive harmonious country with one language and one people united under one culture.

I respect your opinion, but you should watch what you say, some people might perceive it as racist,

Most people perceive it as racist, because ironically they are the ignorant ones. I don't care what race you are, just be American if you're in America, French if you're in France, and so on...

I dont believe anybody should be treated badly because they don't speak a countries national *cough* language, but they should learn it, I dont think anybody is going to dispute that.

Actually, I looked at your profile aswell and it says you're Puerto Rican... I don't mind if tourists speak their home language but citizens and residents should be forced to learn it otherwise be deported.

I said you were somewhat racist because of your somewhat "preserving" views, but now I see your just concerned about the U.S having a situation similiar to France's.

Yes, exactly!

:)

My country ... not so much, I'm leaving as soon as I finish Uni. Not that I hate the country I live, rather I've just never felt I belong here. That being said. I don't think it is a matter of patriotism, and culture never stays the same, it always changes, however a singular language is the most uniting social factor of all men, much above nation, race, and religion. And I'd prefer to live in a cohesive harmonious country with one language and one people united under one culture.

Most people perceive it as racist, because ironically they are the ignorant ones. I don't care what race you are, just be American if you're in America, French if you're in France, and so on...

Actually, I looked at your profile aswell and it says you're Puerto Rican... I don't mind if tourists speak their home language but citizens and residents should be forced to learn it otherwise be deported.

Yes, exactly!

:)

Born and raised ^^, well im glad we could come to an agreement on this. By the way where are you going after uni?

- Kuja

Born and raised ^^,

How does this make you more Puerto Rican, than someone who, say, immigrated to Puerto Rico?

well im glad we could come to an agreement on this. By the way where are you going after uni?

Me too :) And... I haven't fully decided yet for sure. I've always had an infatuation with Belgium however.

Sounds to me like that girl had her panties in a wad :monster:

I don't think you really did anything wrong, but this is why I never speak to someone in a different language. You never know how people are going to take it :/ Some may laugh and go along with it, and others like miss drama queen here take offense to it.

At this Mexican restraunt in town, my dad started speaking Spanish to the waiter, and he became furious. He stalked away and when he did come back, he wasn't very friendly to us. So I'm not exactly sure what it is that people find so offensive, but If I were you I wouldn't do it again. At least not at that restraunt.

Sounds to me like that girl had her panties in a wad :monster:

I don't think you really did anything wrong, but this is why I never speak to someone in a different language. You never know how people are going to take it :/ Some may laugh and go along with it, and others like miss drama queen here take offense to it.

At this Mexican restraunt in town, my dad started speaking Spanish to the waiter, and he became furious. He stalked away and when he did come back, he wasn't very friendly to us. So I'm not exactly sure what it is that people find so offensive, but If I were you I wouldn't do it again. At least not at that restraunt.

I have a friend who is half-cuban, and doesn't speak spanish. It annoys him when somebody speaks to him in spanish for these reasons:

1. It upsets him when people assume he does
2. Growing up some other hispanics made fun of him for not being "one of them".

3. Hes also been looked at like hes weird for not speaking spanish, kind of like when not having children was seen as an illness.

He doesn't get mad and throw a tantrum like that girl did, but it bugs him simply because he feels his half-spanish genetics has caused him nothing but trouble, note those are his words and not mine. On the flip-side I have a cousin whos half-rican speaks spanish, and fully embraces his half-hispanic side.

Theres many reasons for why it would annoy somebody, but those of course are my friend Pauls reasons.

- Kuja

What...are...you...getting at..?
Nothing really, just the phrase "Born and raised" has always bothered me for some reason. I guess when someone says say... "I'm French, born and raised" for example, they're subconsciously saying "I'm more French than people who weren't born here".

I guess the German "Blut und Boden" (Blood and Soil) ideology comes to mind.
In fact, I think if anything immigrants are the true patriots (the ones who assimilate) because they chose to take the big leap and struggle to do so, rather than someone who had the convenience of being born in whatever country.

Last edited:
Nothing really, just the phrase "Born and raised" has always bothered me for some reason. I guess when someone says say... "I'm French, born and raised" for example, they're subconsciously saying "I'm more French than people who weren't born here".

I guess the German "Blut und Boden" (Blood and Soil) ideology comes to mind.
In fact, I think if anything immigrants are the true patriots (the ones who assimilate) because they chose to take the big leap and struggle to do so, rather than someone who had the convenience of being born in whatever country.

I see, well my dear friend thats not what I meant at all, anyone who wants to go to Puerto Rico and declare citizenship will be the first to receive an open armed greeting from me, and I'll be the first to say "Bienvenidos a Puerto Rico mi panas".

Im glad you brought that u, because I agree! :)

You see theres some american people(note i said some), that were born here and complain about how much the place sucks. Yet theres immigrants who claim "I love this country, and I wouldn't live anywhere else", so yes very good point!! You hit the nail on the head.

You've earned yourself a user note :).

- Kuja

I see, well my dear friend thats not what I meant at all, anyone who wants to go to Puerto Rico and declare citizenship will be the first to receive an open armed greeting from me, and I'll be the first to say "Bienvenidos a Puerto Rico mi panas".
Im glad you brought that u, because I agree! :)

You see theres some american people(note i said some), that were born here and complain about how much the place sucks. Yet theres immigrants who claim "I love this country, and I wouldn't live anywhere else", so yes very good point!! You hit the nail on the head.

You've earned yourself a user note :).

I only understood the first part (Welcome to Puerto Rico) because I speak a little Français, and Español is similar :P

But that's so awesome! I love immigrants who try so hard to learn the language and assimilate into their new homelands.

And I'm not really sure what a usernote is but I'm gonna give you a rep thingo because you've just been so nice!

I only understood the first part (Welcome to Puerto Rico) because I speak a little Français, and Español is similar :P

But that's so awesome! I love immigrants who try so hard to learn the language and assimilate into their new homelands.

And I'm not really sure what a usernote is but I'm gonna give you a rep thingo because you've just been so nice!

Alrighty then ^^, for future reference, a usernote is basically something your peers will type about you, and when people check your profile they can see what other users thought about you, hence why its a "usernote".

I'm glad we agree on this =)

- Kuja

Back