What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading: How I Became Stupid, by Martin Page; Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. Both hysterical, intelligent books. Also The Talisman, by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

I am currently "attempting" to read: Ulysses, by James Joyce.

I may soon begin: 11/22/63, by Stephen King.

Currently reading a few books on my Kindle. 'The Epigenetics Revolution' by Nessa Carey, 'Paradise Lost,' Jane Austen's 'Emma' and I will probably start another Shakespeare play today! :) I love being able to flit between several books easily! :awesome:

Currently reading a few books on my Kindle. 'The Epigenetics Revolution' by Nessa Carey, 'Paradise Lost,' Jane Austen's 'Emma' and I will probably start another Shakespeare play today! :) I love being able to flit between several books easily! :awesome:

Let me know how Emma is when you finish it. I'm seriously in love with Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility, P&P being probably my 2nd favorite book I've ever finished. It also has my favorite TV adaptation of a novel and S&S is in my top 5 movies.

Physical Geography by Alan H. Strahler and Arthur Strahler. I was recommended it by a few people, so I decided to start it up. But that's not a 'book' book, huh? Well I haven't had time to actually read other books because of studies, but I have tried to sit down and read my Dragonriders of Pern series and A Song of Fire and Ice series again. I actually started Game of Thrones (book) last night.

I'm gradually reading through 'The Magic of Our Reality: How We Know What's Really True' by Richard Dawkins. It's pretty good actually - lots of information beautifully presented against gorgeous pieces of art. :) So far I've read about fossils, evolution and how so many animals could have developed, but the book also covers rainbows, space, aliens - lots of things Science related! :D

What's more, it has the Philip Pullman stamp of approval. :awesome:

Gaston Leroux's "Phantom of the Opera" - an extremely enjoyable read I could not put down. It was humourous, sinister, and full of suspense, as the story runs completely differently to the musical version we are all familiar with. In fact, the musical seems so sweet and innocent after reading about the true Phantom, who is crazy and monstrous in the novel, as tragic as his character is. He's very watered down in the musical, in looks, personality and motives. I also enjoyed the fleshing out of Raoul's character in the novel as a young, jealous and lovestruck boy tormented by his love for the trapped Christine, not the valiant knight in shining armour as he is portrayed in the musical and movie.
Worth picking up!

I am reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Like all of his books it kind of starts a bit slowly, and you are waiting for something to galvanise the story. It's very funny and very well-written like all of this books, with quite a bit of fun poked at society's way of thinking. He does not do it in the patronising "fafafafafa look at those silly people and the way they think". Considering Vimes is the focus of this novel we know it's going to be a mystery one, so I was looking forward to that part of the story taking off

I am about 76% of the way through the book, at least according to the scrupulous page counting of my kindle. The mystery so far has been done very well and is quite different to all of the previous Vimes books (though each Vimes mystery is quite different to the rest). The topics he broaches about what we consider human are also handled expertly, so that is another enjoyable element of the book

The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan

Fourth book in the WoT series...I started it last week, and I'm already halfway through it. The Great Hunt took me a couple of weeks to read, and The Dragon Reborn, which I was expecting to be good, took me nearly a month with how tedious it was. This one has slowed down in a couple of places, but overall it's infinitely better than the third book. I find myself not really giving a damn about Perrin or May though, and they're supposed to be primary characters. Oh dear.

The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I finished A Study in Scarlet earlier this morning and have started on this. Sherlock Holmes is quite great :grin:

Kingpin by Kevin Poulsen

Its a real life account of a cyber-criminal / security consultant who went on a crime spree.

Some non-fiction books make for better reading than fiction. :grin:

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman

I never read the His Dark Materials series, but I had heard good things about it, so I made it the first download on my Kindle Touch. I was surprised out how much the tone of the series shifted between the first and second books. The third is very engrossing overall. Very heavy stuff.

The Penguin History of the Twentieth Century by J. M Roberts.

As the title suggests, it is basically just a history of the twentieth century. I'm about three quarters of the way through. The author is discussing the changes in the economic and social worlds after WWII. Considering that the author is covering such a large topic, he has brushed over certain things. The focus has been mostly on political history rather than social although he does touch on some of the widespread social attitudes. But as a general history it has been a pretty interesting read thus far.

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman

I never read the His Dark Materials series, but I had heard good things about it, so I made it the first download on my Kindle Touch. I was surprised out how much the tone of the series shifted between the first and second books. The third is very engrossing overall. Very heavy stuff.
Oh wow, I absolutely LOVE those books. They're my favourite series. If you want to know more about the characters, like Serafnia, Lee, Azriel, be sure to pick up the Book of Dust when it comes out at some point in the future. It's going to be a collection of shorter stories and will reveal a lot more about the world and characters, both before and after the main series.

I think Philip Pullman's thinking of releasing two books now...one for before, one for after.

I myself am reading Return of the King. :ryan:

The last book I read and finished was Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray.

A lot of thought went into this book...as its quite a "relationships and the differences between men and women in them" for dummies kind of book. It was helpful enough to me anyways. I learned why some men are the way they are...and how to approach my relationships a bit differently I guess.

I did have to skip through at least one chapter though. The author wrote about the power of writing these "love letters" which are letters that you write to your significant other about how something is bothering you, how it makes you feel, and that you still love them and etc...but the messages just got so repetitive and cheesy I couldn't read them anymore :damon:

I'd recommend this for people who are looking to understand the opposite sex a bit more, and why they might do the things that they do in a relationship.

I've just finished reading Stephen Hawking's, "The Shining" for the sixth time and another book (whose name escapes me) by Isaac Asimov.

Also, I'm reading City of Bones/Ashes/Glass/Fallen Angels.

Currently Reading: The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I've been reading this on and off for months. It's a series of peaks and troughs in terms of my interest.

Recently Read: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn which was incredible. I need to re-read it many more times to completely take it in, but it was one of them books that makes you think deep thoughts maaaan.

Want to read: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud. I've read his Bartimaeus Trilogy and this one is a prequel to those books so I'm looking forward to reading it when I get the chance.

Bought four Nietzche books today, and have started "The Birth of Tragedy" on the way back. I'm going to try to get back into heavy philosophy and I've always been down with his woes in Prussia.

Next will be Dean Koontz, "Velocity"

Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub

I read the prequel (The Talisman) and thought I'd give this one a go. I'm only 8 pages in so far (got distracted...) but the writing style is at least good so far :p

I just finished Velocity, by Dean Koontz and let me say what a great read it was.

I hate when I read books too fast, due to the hook, but this was one of them. Reading about Billy the Bartender and his run with a psychopath who tries to exploit him in every way. The endearing love he has for his fiance. The awareness of his childhood past, and the grizley events that took place, are a puzzle piece to reckon with. I recommend this as one of Koontz's finest pieces.

I'll leave ya'll with a quote and actually it's on the back of the book, so it's not a true spolier:

"If you don't take this note to the police ... I kill a lovely blond schoolteacher... If you do ... I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours."

Back