What does everyone think of pop music?

Warbsywoo

Hellodia.
Veteran
Gil
Simple question: What does everyone think of pop music?
Does it suck? Is it a 'blight of the world' (as some YouTuber casually remarked in the comments section of a particular pop song)? Is it 'eh, alright'? Or what?

Post your opinions.

I personally think that some of it is alright. A ton are just plain stupid but occassionally there is that one pop song that stands out and makes my day. :monster:

I generally don't listen to pop. As you say, most of them are stupid. And all the lyrics are about love, so it's not particularly interesting to me. There's only a few that I might listen to, and even then, I don't listen to them that much.

Pop music isn't really my thing, however it always manages to get stuck in my head which can get really annoying at times. But occasionally I hear some decent pop songs which appeal to me, but I don't consider myself a fan of pop music really.

I don't listen to it, either. But I like some songs they play on the radio. :3 I don't want the CDs of these artists, but it is nice to listen to it if I listen to the radio (which isn't often).

The problem about pop music is - in my opinion - that it's based on how to sell it often. I just have to watch TV to see this trend - casting shows, for example. The winner will be a pop singer and he'll only be there to get money for... I don't know who. '-' And the second thing is: How many clothes do they wear? Not many (particularly women..), so the little kids buy that stuff to see the artist on the cover. (Just my impression of things.)

Mostly when I listen to pop music I get bored after a while, because either the songs are totally annoying or they sound as if they were all the same. You can't even say whose song you listen to, you always think it's another one. Well, that's at least how I feel about it.

I like pop music of the 80's though.

Particularly no.If it just happens to play it in the TV and I'm watching to that channel,I won't mind.As people said above in their posts,the lyrics are just plain stupid.They're singing about something they've never experienced their entire life and plus their trying to cover all the problems the world today has,with that the so honored word "love" which differs a lot from the word "in love".

I pretty much hate all of it. I think it's shit that requires no talent.
There may be an occasional song which I don't hate, but that seldom happens.

I pretty much hate all of it. I think it's shit that requires no talent.

there's that, and it also sucks . I think I may have a few exceptions, but they'd have to be insanely hilarious. none really come to mind at all, unless the offspring is pop-ish

To me, if there's no guitar it's usually shit in my eyes. With mainstream music, anyway. Classical stuff and game music are exceptions.

But pop is pretty shit looking down on it from a instrumentalist's view.

HAY GUISE, LOOK I CAN WRITE A BUNCH OF LIMERICKS ABOUT HOW MUCH MY LIFE SUCKS AND HOW MUCH I WANT TO STICK MY ELEVEN INCH BLACK COCK INSIDE THAT CHICK ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME AND THEN ADD SOME RHYTHM TO THE WAY I READ IT ALOUD WITH A FEW MOANS WHILE TRYING TO LOOK AS CUTE AS POSSIBLE IN MY SUPER BLING SILVER JUMPSUIT AND BLINGAGE WITH DOLLAR SIGNS HANGING FROM MY NECK AND ODDLY WORN HAT.

Some women in pop do okay, but I'm mainly irritated with all the African males who enter pop, get famous, and for what? Bitching and moaning about how bad they want some poon-tang because some white girl isn't easy enough for them to lay in five minutes?

I also think one of the biggest problems with pop is the same problem with some punk. Vocalists don't have their own voices. They're all imitating someone else.

I used to like when I was a teenager but pop these days are not really good anymore. In fact they're annoying, especially when sung by a bunch of teenagers. However, pop is one of those music that do play in your mind sometimes even if you don't want it to. It just sticks there because you hear them playing constantly, depending on where you go or who you're with.

Pop music from the 80s is the shit, that stuff's great. I just can't stand happy, pink, bubblegum pop from the 90s. There's no emotion I can attach to it while I'm listening. I just feel it's music for the sake of music.

I don't really like it, some of it is ok and I can listen to it but I'd rather not

I hate how all these stupid boybands do these songs that you just KNOW they as a group probably don't like the song, Westlife are a great example, can you really expect me to believe that 5 grown men actually LIKE the song Uptown Girl?! I bloody doubt it.

I haven't listened to the top 40 in years, I bet I don't know half the pop groups about anymore and I bet I dont know 90% of the songs in the charts, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore

HAY GUISE, LOOK I CAN WRITE A BUNCH OF LIMERICKS ABOUT HOW MUCH MY LIFE SUCKS AND HOW MUCH I WANT TO STICK MY ELEVEN INCH BLACK COCK INSIDE THAT CHICK ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME AND THEN ADD SOME RHYTHM TO THE WAY I READ IT ALOUD WITH A FEW MOANS WHILE TRYING TO LOOK AS CUTE AS POSSIBLE IN MY SUPER BLING SILVER JUMPSUIT AND BLINGAGE WITH DOLLAR SIGNS HANGING FROM MY NECK AND ODDLY WORN HAT.

Brilliant description of rap :elmo:

90's pop I don't mind. It's silly shit, but some of it is pretty fun. Plus NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys and the like are much healthier than current pop (rap and emo). 90's pop was sappy and corny, but it wasn't preaching that life is unfair, cruel, and that it's okay to wallow in self-pity. It wasn't teaching youth that it's cool to be a drug-dealing, pimping gangsta wasting his money on tacky jeweltry and spinners for your old Cadillac.

Of course that stuff was starting to surface in rap in the 90's, but it was counterbalanced by real corny artists like Vanilla Ice, Will Smith and Sir Mix-A-Lot. Now the corniest people you have are stupid ignorant piles of ghetto trash like Soulja Boy who tells you to scream "YAH TRICK YAH" at people telling you things you don't want to hear and to "supersoak" women.

Pop music from the 80s is the shit, that stuff's great. I just can't stand happy, pink, bubblegum pop from the 90s. There's no emotion I can attach to it while I'm listening. I just feel it's music for the sake of music.

80's music is awesome. And I would rather listen to happy bubblegum pop any day than depressing crap informing me of how terrible life is and how nobody understands me.

I don't really have that problem of hearing pop all that often, most likely because I don't listen to the radio, and when I do, I'll only be listening to the classic channel--and you can bet there's absolutely no pop songs on that one. I don't hear them in public either because I have my MP3 player with me.

I can deal with older pop from the 80s and whatnot, but nowadays it just sounds like a thirteen year old girl screeching into a microphone. I mean, I like a few songs, but that Hannah Montana crap that all those little girls listen to annoys me to no end.

And yes, rap music is mostly talking about how some girl broke up with you and now to get the pain out you smoke dope. Either that or dancing with some bling bling thrown in.

Brilliant description of rap :elmo:
I actually thought Chris Brown was pop. D:

But even still, it's so irritable to hear celebrities moan about how difficult life is when they live better than most people will ever hope to live.

It's just very ironic.

80's music is awesome. And I would rather listen to happy bubblegum pop any day than depressing crap informing me of how terrible life is and how nobody understands me.

You and your Rickrolls :gasp:

But yes, 80's music is the shit. All those boybands and even worse the reality tv bred bands/singers just killed it off completely, I can't believe it still appears to be going strong :gasp:

Oh and RnB & rap crap just irritates me, I think I hate that more than pop pap >_<

- Hi Barbie!
- Hi Ken!
- You wanna go for a ride?
- Sure, Ken!
- Jump in!
- Ha ha ha ha!

I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation

Come on, Barbie, let's go party

...Now those type of music I can still pretty much listen too and actually enjoy. xD Aqua was such a hit back in the 90's. Backstreet and N'Sync wasn't so bad when they first started too. And I like Westlife, most especially their song, "My Love".

Anyway, I laughed at the other trying-so-hard boybands like O-Town and 2Gether. They were like almost famous for what...a month or two?

I actually thought Chris Brown was pop. D:

But even still, it's so irritable to hear celebrities moan about how difficult life is when they live better than most people will ever hope to live.

It's just very ironic.

Oh, that was referring to Chris Brown? :wacky: Either way it's still serves as a good description of rap.

Ugh, and yes, I despise when "rock stars" cry about how hard life is and how much it sucks when they have make more money in a month than many will make in a lifetime. Of course they pretty much only do it because they know angsty teenagers will buy it.

Now there is a difference between singing about stuff every person has gone through and singing about wallowing in despair. People call Linkin Park emo and it pisses me off to no end. Yes, they sing about real issues. But they aren't hopeless, they don't act like that's all life is ever going to be and that all you can do is cry and cut.

You and your Rickrolls :gasp:

But yes, 80's music is the shit. All those boybands and even worse the reality tv bred bands/singers just killed it off completely, I can't believe it still appears to be going strong :gasp:

Hey now, I listen to more than Mr. Astley xD

Ugh....I hate American Idol and the like. It's not enough that record labels manufacture pop music, now we have TV shows doing it and actually producing stuff WORSE than the typical manufactured crap. I'm sure you all remember the horror that was Clay Aiken.

Ugh....I hate American Idol and the like. It's not enough that record labels manufacture pop music, now we have TV shows doing it and actually producing stuff WORSE than the typical manufactured crap. I'm sure you all remember the horror that was Clay Aiken.
When some fuckwit decided to mix reality TV(shit) and pop music(shit). The outcome was never in doubt, but for some reason people love to watch these parasites.

Emos too. Those vile creatures that dye their hair black and have stupid haircuts and complain about everything." My girlfriend left me coz she thinks I'm gay because really I'm probably straight but I pretend to be a bisexual coz that's so cool and stupid morons will buy more of my useless CDs. Excuse whilst I go slit my wrists and drink my blood."
I just hate it

Emos too. Those vile creatures that dye their hair black and have stupid haircuts and complain about everything." My girlfriend left me coz she thinks I'm gay because really I'm probably straight but I pretend to be a bisexual coz that's so cool and stupid morons will buy more of my useless CDs. Excuse whilst I go slit my wrists and drink my blood."
I just hate it

Oh man, I could totally go off on a rant about all things emo right now. Teenagers are angsty enough as it is, it just seems exploitative of all these bands to use this to get sales. We need a revival of 50's music, that'd get all these depressed bastards feeling better...or they'd just kill themselves if they can't stand it, either is fine with me.

Back