Which games are worth hunting down?

Tsolaelia

Gil
I'm new to the series - just finished FFVII and adored it, for the epic storyline, the richness of the universe, the well-developed characters and the attention given to the psychological themes (Cloud's distorted memories and flashbacks, Barrett's guilt and anger, Vincent's suffering and so forth).

My question is this: which other games in the series have that same depth to them? I would imagine the earlier games are somewhat more simplistic in terms of plot and character, but I could be mistaken, so I thought I'd ask the fans!

Final Fantasy IX really brings the originality back to the series.
It has a romantic love plot, a controllable skill system, and some of the most beautiful music in the series, besides that of FFVII.

I really highly recomend it.

IV. I love this game but it might be a little slow for people who are used to more modern games. There was great character development with Cecil and he is also one of the only FF main heros that is truly heroic despite the fact that you start out the game with him as a dark knight. The crappy graphics allow for dancers to throw off their clothes and dance for you. And it is also a challanging if you get the PS1 version. If you get the PS1 version, you also get the added bonus of getting Chrono Trigger which is one of the best video games ever.

VI definently. I think it is the best Final Fantasys in terms of characters and plot. Personally I think it blows VII away.

id second VI even though VII is the best ever

i would say play all the games :P but my least favourite was FF VIII

FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX. Those are my personal favorites, with VIII being the highest. FFX-2 is okay...you can get if you want, but it's too girly for me.

You should also try out FFVI and FFXII. I haven't finished those two games yet, but I'd definitely get it if I were you.

I've loved almost every FF game I've played so far. You can't go wrong with too many of them. I'd give FFIX and FFX a shot and there's no doubt you'll love one, if not both, of them.

Pretty much everyone of them, though there are no set love stories in many of the games.

ff8 and ff9 since they are good classics and are getting rare now

Great, thank you all for the assistance! It sounds like the best games are those post VI, so I'll probably start with VI and work my way through. :)

Try getting XII if you can - not just because I adore it, but because there's more chance of you getting a copy of it, compared to some of the other PS titles ^^;;

Everyone said VI, and X.

I have to reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics. If you can find it, that is. It's niegh impossible, but you can ask around or something.

Final Fantasy Tactics, in my opinion, has the most thought-out storyline. It's difficult, and at first can be quite boring. But if you get past that you'll enjoy the challenging battles. It just needs some patience, but definitely one of the greats.

FFVII and IX.
Those are my two votes. Best games in the series.
I haven't played FFtactics very much, but from what I've seen it's VERY worthwhile. <3

I've played them all and i must say FF IV, and V are the most challenging, and FF VII and X are very good stories. XII is really fun to play so it all depends on what you really want in the game

Last edited:
FFVII
FFVII remains to be one of the most highly speculated FF games for over 10 years and counting. If you'll take a good look around the comunity here, you'll realize that this is one of the only games that still has players wondering and creating idealistic theories regarding the plot. While some original FF aspects have been taken out of the plot, other ingenious qualities have done an excellent job as fillers.
FFVII actually contains several in depth sidequests, such as obtaining Yuffie and Vincent, breeding chocobos, and trying to find a way to revive Aerith.
(Ok, the last one was a joke. :P)
Each and every character in FFVII bears his or her own unique story, and it goes without saying that the developers put much more effort into this storyline than any other FF that I've played to date.
FFVII IS A MUST HAVE GAME!!!

FFVIII
Final Fantasy VIII has to be one of the worst FFs in my book. It's too sci-fi, the characters are all teenagers who originate from the same location; and none of them have deep or ingenious backgrounds. It seems like the writer didn't have time to give them each their own piece of history, so he just said..."we'll make them all orphans." Lame if you ask me...
The protagonist is arrogant, selfish, whiney, unsure of his feelings, and acts based on what others tell him to do. If anyone should be the leader of the pack, it should be Quistis, since she's always the one telling Squall what to do.
FFVIII also doesn't contain any originality basis of the FF series. There are no moogles, you can't play chocobo sidequests without a pocketstation, and the limit breaks for most of the characters in all bluntless, SUCK.

FFIX
FFIX brings the originality back to the series. "The crystal comes back". It re-introduces some of the following common FF cliches: Moogles and chocobo sidequests, a world based on four elements, a mideval timeframe, and the story of a summoner's struggle. If you've played any of the old FFs, you'll find all of these perks to be quite refreshing. The main antagonist also stands to be, IMO, one of the most upbeat and likeable characters in the series, as oppose to sulky crybabies like Tidus and Squall.

FFX
FFX opened up a new variety of gameplay. It has a really neat leveling system. The sphere grid allows you to develop your characters to your own tastes, and you can modify your weapons any way you'd like. This game gets 5/5 for sidequest quality. Sidequests include: celestial weapons, hidden aeons, omega ruins, and the monster arena in the calm lands.
The only flaw I saw in this game, is that it has incredibly cheesy voiceovers.

FFXII

FFXII has some alright gameplay.
Great graphics and a different twist to the battle system...but it's not a cliche Final Fantasy like most of us are used to. It's played more like an online game and only has about 25 hours of required gameplay.
The rest of the game contains 80+ hours of optionally hunting and killing enemies.

Final Fantasy Tactics is defenatly worth hunting for the story. The gameplay and characters remind me of something from tactics orge. It's a must have if you're looking for something to hunt.

alot of people may disagree but i personally like FF XII. Many hardcore final fantasy fans say that the story just sucks but I really like it...

FFVII
FFVII remains to be one of the most highly speculated FF games for over 10 years and counting. If you'll take a good look around the comunity here, you'll realize that this is one of the only games that still has players wondering and creating idealistic theories regarding the plot. While some original FF aspects have been taken out of the plot, other ingenious qualities have done an excellent job as fillers.
FFVII actually contains several in depth sidequests, such as obtaining Yuffie and Vincent, breeding chocobos, and trying to find a way to revive Aerith.
Each and every character in FFVII bears his or her own unique story, and it goes without saying that the developers put much more effort into this storyline than any other FF that I've played to date.

FFVIII
Final Fantasy VIII has to be one of the worst FFs in my book. It's too sci-fi, the characters are all teenagers who originate from the same location; and none of them have deep or ingenious backgrounds. It seems like the writer didn't have time to give them each their own piece of history, so he just said..."we'll make them all orphans." Lame if you ask me...
The protagonist is arrogant, selfish, whiney, unsure of his feelings, and acts based on what others tell him to do. If anyone should be the leader of the pack, it should be Quistis, since she's always the one telling Squall what to do.
FFVIII also doesn't contain any originality basis of the FF series. There are no moogles, you can't play chocobo sidequests without a pocketstation, and the limit breaks for most of the characters in all bluntless, SUCK.

FFIX
FFIX brings the originality back to the series. "The crystal comes back". It re-introduces some of the following common FF cliches: Moogles and chocobo sidequests, a world based on four elements, a mideval timeframe, and the story of a summoner's struggle. If you've played any of the old FFs, you'll find all of these perks to be quite refreshing. The main antagonist also stands to be, IMO, one of the most upbeat and likeable characters in the series, as oppose to sulky crybabies like Tidus and Squall.

FFX
FFX opened up a new variety of gameplay. It has a really neat leveling system. The sphere grid allows you to develop your characters to your own tastes, and you can modify your weapons any way you'd like. This game gets 5/5 for sidequest quality. Sidequests include: celestial weapons, hidden aeons, omega ruins, and the monster arena in the calm lands.

FFXII

Great graphics and a different twist to the battle system...but it's not a cliche Final Fantasy like most of us are used to. It's played more like an online game and only has about 25 hours of required gameplay.
The rest of the game contains 80+ hours of optionally hunting and killing enemies.
what an amazing post...truly rhea. Very well written post

Last edited:
FFVII

FFVIII

FFIX

FFX

FFXII

Here's my review for the earlier games. Haven't played II or III yet.

FFI
A great game for the time that it came out. But it may be a little slow for younger gamers. For one, there is absolutely no character development for the main characters, in fact, they don't say a word the entire game. This game is all about the adventure. You get to choose four characters between a warrior, thief, black mage, white mage, red mage, or monk. What ever combination you choose will either make the game easier or hard. Has many challanging battles and is a true classic.

FFIV (orginally released as II in the US)
My personal favorite in the series. First FF game released where the characters had their own personalities.(Although I can't speak for II and III). Unlike other games, the main character in this one truly is heroic. Though this game could also be slow for the younger gamers. I recommend that you get the PS version because it is the orginal hard version. The SNES version was made easier for Americans. This game introduced a lot of staples that would reappear in later Final Fantasy games. Personally, I think this game has one of the best storylines in the series. Definently a must for Final Fantasy fans.

FFV
Good game but the leveling up the jobs can be a little tedius. You have four characters through out the game. You get to choose their jobs and you can switch jobs through out the game, which is good because you will get over fifteen to choose from. You want to level up the jobs so you can get abilities from them, such as Hp+30% from the monk, jump! from the dragoon, white magic from the white mage, ect. Character development isn't that great especially for the main character, but still a good game to try out.

FFVI
I personally think this game has the best storyline and character development. This would be my second favorite game. This game is interesting because there is no main character, instead the story is about everyone. There are so many memorable characters such as Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan... and pretty much all the other playable characters. In this game, the villian does accomplish his goals to make things more interesting. VERY highly recommended.

If you're looking for flashy graphics and a face paced storyline, then these games will not be for you. But they are definently worth checking out.

FFIV and VI sound really great based on what you have to say about them. ^_^ I love a good storyline, and I LOVE LOVE a heroic protagonist. <3

I wish I could get my hands on FFVI again, I really loved playing the first part. ^_^

Back