Oblivion_XIII

Shi no Tenshi
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Draken White
FFXIV Server
Phoenix
I'm looking around for other guitarists like myself, so please explain your answers. You can add or leave out categories if you wish

Favorite guitars- Les Paul, just the sounds you can get from the thing are amazing.

Favorite guitarists- Slash(guns n roses), the man is just amazing, he really can rock the house. Eddie Van Halen(van halen) amazing guitar solos, some eruption anyone.

Favorite types of music to play- hard rock, just rocking out with some sweet riffs. classic rock, Its always great to play songs that people actually know.

Favorite songs to play- Sweet Child O' Mine(Guns N' Roses), such an awesome song, just need the Les Paul and I'm good to go.
Nothing else Matters(Metallica), such a pretty song.

Most overrated Band- Green Day, too simple guitar parts, bores me to death

favorite guitar= Dean angel of death special addition. It looks absolutely stunning and the flying v shape works well with the custom paint

favorite guitarist= not sure, I never thought about it. I cannot honestly say what I think is my favorite right now, since there are so many bands I like...

Favorite music type to play: slow, sweet, chords. I also love to riff a lot hehehe, never really got into single noted solo's, I just riff away until I like it. I also like to play something fast, hard and it usually gets me so into it I sweat...

Favorite songs to play: The thing that should not be. practically the entire song is a riff, which I did say I loved a lot. And a few nobody would know because I made them myself.

most overrated band: Smashing pumpkins. These guys anger me so badly, if I listen to them with you, you better have a bullet proof vest on. I hate them just as much as Kefka hates Sephiroth. They sound annoying and honestly I dont think they have the real talent they are repped with...

most overrated band: Smashing pumpkins. These guys anger me so badly, if I listen to them with you, you better have a bullet proof vest on. I hate them just as much as Kefka hates Sephiroth. They sound annoying and honestly I dont think they have the real talent they are repped with...

Agreed just as bad as Green Day, Chrub Rock, the one is guitar hero, sucks. It is so annoying its not even funny.

I felt slightly insulted when they were on guitar hero. At most the should be one of those side, unimportant extra's that nobody plays. I hate all of their songs and I think they do not deserve the honor to be on guitar hero. It made me hate that section for eternity (until I sold it). The only good parts of the songs is always the ending, because you know your pain is almost over :monster:

that...is...GROSS :rage: Who was it that thought those pretty boys deserved their own game?Judas priest should get their own, that would be fun and highly challenging. Most of the people that listen to them dont even play guitar hero or rockband, so why> just why?

I'm going to actually post this for my husband because he's been a guitarist for 19 years. He's actually in a band at this moment and is lead guitar for the band. I'm asking him the questions and he's answering them. I'm just typing them out as he answers.

Favorite guitars- Fender Fat Strat. Because you can get virtually almost any tone you're looking for out of it.
A. You can customize the pick-ups with better configuration being a H/S/S
B. The neck is a lot fatter so it slows him down a bit and he can articulate each note better. The thinner the neck, the faster he plays, so he prefers thicker neck.

Favorite guitarists- Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, David Gilmore, and Randy Rhodes. Hubby says is because they're masters of their art. They're very articulate and musically intelligent. They compose everything that they do. They're all able to completely improvise soloing, but instead they write and compose every solo and every guitar line like a classical piece of music.

Favorite types of music to play- His favorite types range anywhere from rock, metal, progressive, melodic, jazz, and classical. He doesn't really have an absolute favorite. He's always loved tapping into all different sorts of music, and believe me when I say the man can play.

Favorite songs to play- He said he doesn't really have any specific favorite song that he loves to play. I've seen him play anything from Metallica, to Fuel, to Evanescence, to Creed, to Ozzy, to Dream Theater. He can play pretty much play anything you throw at him and if he doesn't know it, all he has to do is just listen to it once or twice and can easily pick it up and start playing right away. (I'm actually posting this myself in my own words here because I've seen him do this and it's just incredible the way he does it.)

Most overrated Band- Nirvana. He says because anybody can fuse three or four chords together and make a crap song. :8F: He's not exactly a fan. xD The guitar parts are just too simplistic.

Where is Guitar Hero Guns N Roses or Guitar Hero Led Zepplin, they are coming out with all this crap that will turn people away from the game. I was about to barf when I saw green day rock band.

Also, I thought I was the only Dream Theater fan out there :)

About Nirvana, that was the point of the songs, to show you can sound good while not being all that great a guitarist...just sayin...

and GnR SO deserves it's own game. I really like their material, and it is full of talent. Plus, you gotta love the style slash brings to the crew. And the guys voice is epic :awesome:

Well *shrugs* in his opinion Squee, he doesn't think they DO sound good. He thinks they're crap. That's just his opinion though. You think they sound good with a not so great guitarist, then that's your opinion. However, he doesn't think so. He thinks they're shit and tbh, I've never been a fan either.

As for GnR, 'the guy' has a name and his name is Axel Rose.

Well, I never took the time to listen, so I can't really be one to state opinion on them. Well I have heard one song but that is never enough to judge. I was always more for the heavy metal scene. Older is better when it comes to metal and rock, the originals are always massively epic, so Nirvana isn't in my stream of preferred music. Never listened...maybe I should sometime to see for myself...

Nirvanna just sounds somewhat good because of all the effects that they use. GnR is one of the best bands out there, but I don't listen to their new crap because Slash doesn't play for them anymore :(

Also, somebody the other day tried to convince me that Axel Rose was a hermit who lived in a shack in Iraq who was the leader of the Taliban xD of course, I just laughed at him.

Favorite Guitars:

Tom Anderson Drop Top. I lean towards strat styles because a lot of what I play is heavily R&B influenced and the sound of a semi-dirty amp with a punchy neck single coil is my preferred sound. Andersons are incredibly well balanced and versitile.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/product_information/models/s_family/droptop_over.cfm

Also, another brand that I love is Charvel. It was a very popular brand in the 80's (part of the Jackson brand which was more geared toward metal) and thankfully they're starting make a rebound after their interest ws passed to IMC, Akai and finally Fender who more or less let them completely die.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...-Dinky-Mahogany-Natural-HumSingle-Floyd-Rose/

Favorite Guitarists:

Hendrix - Without a doubt the most influential guitarist in history who never gets enough credit for writing great songs.

Mark Knopfler - He's just plain cool and fun to watch.

Faovrite Types of Music to Play: Blues, R&B, and I have a very guilty pleasure in 80's hair metal.

Favorite Songs to Play: Bold as Love, Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand by Hendrix. Extremely melodic and made to improvise.

Most Overrated Band: U2. They've managed to re-invent themselves in recent years but they re-use rhythms and musical concepts terribly and have put out some really, really bad songs - I have a hard time thinking of other R&R HOF bands that put out a product as bad as Lemon or that Zoo that was just The Edge blabbering.

I've been playing for about 2 years now, but I can't say I've progressed very far in that time. I've sort of spread it out for what I've learnt, and I can play a bunch of songs I've learned, but they would be inconsistent and mistake-ridden.

Favorite guitars - I don't think I really have a favorite guitar, they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I own a PRS and an Ibanez, and I'll say that they're on opposite ends of the spectrum. My PRS has a lot of space between frets, so it makes things like blues fairly straight forward to play, while my Ibanez has a speedier neck and the locking tremolo of course for that speedy metal sound.

Favorite guitarists - My top 5 are:
Marty Friedman - Awesome arpeggios and exotic scales. A great raw guitar player and of any genre really.
Eddie Van Halen - Can make a guitar make any kind of sound, a great innovator to the metal movement in the 80's.
Buckethead - Has so much music, he spans pretty much any kind of rock related play. Plays a fast brand of music, but his ambient stuff trumps that in my opinion.
Jason Becker - A sweep picking god! Too bad his ALS prevents him from being able to play anymore. :(
Slash - I'm not crazy about the bands he's played for, but something about his bluesy solos send chills down my spine.

Favorite types of music to play - I pretty much play any kind of rock and some metal. I'm working on doing solo licks at the moment.

Favorite songs to play - The Papa Roach songs I know are fun (Of Angels and Insects, Hollywood Whore, Last Resort), One Step Closer by Linkin Park and I think Satellite by POD is pretty fun as well. Oh, and forgot Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage, a tough one, but it's cool if you can land it.

Most overrated Band - Dragonforce, I mean, who are we kidding? It's too much of a recording studio advantage.

I've been playing since I was about 15, though not quite as much in recent years--I'm hoping to get back into it soon though. I'm more of a songwriter than a shredder though, so my soloing/technical work probably wouldn't sound that impressive to most people. In that vein, my favorite guitarists probably aren't as well-known for their work either. Melodically, I really like John Rzeznik's work, it may not be the fanciest but he uses a lot of unusual tunings rather than simply doing three-chord numbers, and Duncan Sheik is also great at this. And Kevin Cadogan (Third Eye Blind) has an awesome overall style--when he left the band and started his own project, you could tell that he was the talent behind their songs--they sounded exactly the same except for the vocals. As far as soloing and stuff, I think Ty Tabor from King's X is awesome. And I haven't really listened to enough Van Halen to really count them as a favorite, but I love the song "Respect the Wind" that they did for the film Twister's soundtrack, that's got some really beautiful soloing. My husband is really into Steve Vai and Yngwie, so I've been listening to them a lot lately as well and I really admire their capabilities, though I can't honestly cite them as having influenced me growing up.

Oh, and I own an Ibanez, an electroacoustic Yamaha, and an acoustic Carlo Robelli :D

Favorite guitars- Fender Stratocaster, I own four of these. They are the one of the most versatile guitars there is, and it is just so perfect in its design. I also have two Fender Telecasters, there is a certain richness and depth that you can get with a Tele.

Favorite guitarists-
Adrian Smith- In addition to being an excellent songwriter, his soloing has a certain timing and method of phrasing that no one else can touch. His solos are impossible to replicate. You'd have more chance trying to play like Yngwie than Adrian.

Other favourites include Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, and Joe Satriani.

Favorite types of music to play- I play mainly blues and metal, plus everything else in between. I hope that when I try to play metal, I sound bluesy, and when I play blues my playing has a rougher edge.

Favorite songs to play- When I pick up and play, I just like to noodle around, but favourite songs include Dance of Death (Maiden), Old Love (Clapton) and Phantom of the Opera (Maiden again). When trying guitars/gear etc, I find that a great riff to just blast out and stretch the guitars legs is 2 Minutes To Midnight, it's just such a killer riff.

Most overrated Band- I never understood the fuss about the Rolling Stones.

Favourite Guitar?

This One.

It belonged to my father who passed away some time ago, and despite my sister's petty attempts to keep it away from me... It's mine now.

I really like Matthew Bellamy's Delorean too, but I'm not much of a guitar aficionado.

Favourite Guitarist?

I can really only say Matthew Bellamy. His insane performances are what got me into wanting to play a guitar in the first place.

Favourite music to play?

All kinds of rock. Rockity rocking rock rockerson.

Favourite songs to play?

Heart-Shaped Box, Smells like Teen Spirit, Lithium (Nirvana), Plug in Baby, Exo Politics, Hysteria, Dead Star, Stockholm Syndrome, The Small Print, Supermassive Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia (Muse), Mardy Bum (Arctic Monkeys).

Been thinking of learning Steady as She Goes (The Raconteurs).

I am also a self-taught Guitarist. I don't need no instructions to know how to rock. I have been investigating singing and playing the guitar at the same time for a while now, but I have not had much luck with it.

The only song I can sing and play is Plug in Baby, and I can't even get all of the vocals completely correct.

As for experience? I have a few years on me, but that's it. So far playing Guitar has turned into a hobby, but sometimes it's nice to dream.

Favorite guitars - Ibanez. I love their design, how they lay, play, and feel. I've always been a big fan of this brand, and my bass guitar is my precious Ibanez baby <3

Stagg I also like. Both my two acoustics are Stagg, and the electro/acoustic I bought recently is by Stagg as well. Gorgeous design with a cute cutaway.

Favorite guitarists - I honestly don't have a favourite guitarist, although there is this dude on YouTube that does magic with his guitar. :ryan: I suppose I respect him as a guitar player, a lot. Here.

Favorite types of music to play - Indie, and alternative rock. I like to play cover songs, acoustically. Bands like Yellowcard, Secondhand Serenade really inspire that if you ask me.

Favorite songs to play - Beauty In The Breakdown, by The Scene Aesthetic. It's just such a cute song to play around with. The little picking riff was hard as hell to pull off, so I'm just proud that after such a long time, I can play it decently now... Not perfect yet. xD

Most overrated Band - I think this is a stupid statement in my opinion. Or question rather, I should say. Bands aren't overrated if they inspire people with their music, and there's always gonna be someone that loves some certain shitty band, so I won't comment here.

Favorite guitars- BC Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe. it looks and souns like a metal guitar and simply fits the sound and persona i play
PRS Dragon series. honestly, do I need an explanation?

Favorite guitarists- James Root (SlipKnoT) SlipKnoT is my favorite band and he has an incredible amount of skill that a lot of people don't get to see very often
Randy Rhodes, 'nuff said
All 3 guys from Iron Maiden, they invented the web of notes guitar solo and started the tone for how a lot of guitarists play today

Favorite types of music to play- hard rock, metal, just stuff that sounds good, feels good, and even rebels a bit

Favorite songs to play- Duality (SlipKnoT), Canon Rock (various artists), and whatever I'm feeling

Most overrated Band- Nirvana and Foo Fighters. Songs are boring or the same thing again and again and again and again...3 years later...and again and again and again

Back