Do you train?

main team, yes

"thrash team", no

i did once train all characters in FFX, made the game a lot easier, but such a thing is just impossible in FFXII without losing valueable time
(in FFX you could switch them in and out of battle to give them XP, while also possible in FFXII it takes way way way too much time to be worthwhile for the pathetic XP you gain from killing "thrash" monsters)

ummmm

ummm yea i"train" i call it grinding though, i play MMO's so im used to it, and i played all the FFs since i was a kid, but yea dude you gota grind up levels! grinding is fun! if you dont think so then idk why u play rpgs's no offence intended man. Just gota be patient and grind them up. It makes life in Ivalace easier.

I did a fair amount of training, it got really boring after a while too! I tried to level all of my characters up fairly evenly so I wouldn't leave anybody out. I don't have the guide either so I was a little confused as to what recommended levels are for each place. I got some help on online walk throughs instead which was really handy. I wanted my characters to be fairly strong before a boss battle so I took out the time to power them all up.

I haven't finished the game yet so I'll have plenty of training to do still. >_<

I really never ran from any of the enemies or bosses during the normal game-play, so most of my characters where at decent level as the story progressed. However, as in any FF, I love to train and level up. So, in all, I’m pretty sure I did more wandering around aimlessly between the storyline leveling up more that the average player.

I wouldn't call it training but I never ran from Monsters, except for the ones that 10 levels higher than the other beasts in the Dungeon.
You gain alot of XP and levels by just killing everything you see while you are hunting Marks and Walking to the next dungeon.

I dont train, usually I just progress right through the story beating all the bosses
Sept for the final boss in FFX, you need strong aeon overdrives for that one so I had to go level up Yuna

i always maintain my characters levels consistantly in FF games. though this was far easier in the PS 1 games as the discs were more like targets for you to acheive. i'm one of those FF gamers that insists all my characters are lvl 99 before finishing the game, it makes it a whole lot easier to battle. for instance, take Final Fantasy 9. it has four discs so i intend on levelling up 25 lvl's by the end of each disc.

the PS2 titles make this idea a little more difficult. i have the official guide for FFXII (tome edition - gorgeous) and the recommended lvls they give are really dodgy. the final act is recommended at lvl45 just like in FFX-2. so i always go a few lvls above the recommendation to makes things easier.

at the moment on my game (it's the first one since i started it in Feb so no spoilers) i found a pretty cool area in the golmore jungle in the last 2 sections before you arrive in the Paramina Rift, a single run give you 10k XP, which can be done in less than 10 mins. im trying to get my characters up to lvl 45 (recommended - 33) before continuing.

strange tactic i know but it works out in the long run, i get more gil and LP in the process.

in my current game i have been training my characters up and i am stuck against mateus so i am training for him but during my training ealier today i ran into Adremmelech (not sure on spellin) and got absolutely slaughtered and i hadn't saved in a while do i lost like 5 levels, which wouldn't be a problem had the levels not been 31-36 and took forever to get

you never really have to train it possible to beat all final fantays without training (im not sure about 1 2 and 3)

basically before every boss ur seem to be forced to train like 5 levels so ull be able to defeat it. I got so mad that i just gave up cause im not a big fan of the battle system but i might start again :) another down side is itll take even longer if u wanna use all the characters... i chose to only lvl 3 so it would be easier. i read in a guide on the comp that if u do only pick 3 then itll be alot easier but when i only used 3 i seemed to lose to bosses too easily lol so make sure u try to train all ur characters!

Last edited:
ohhh you quit hmm a shame you should try it agin you dont have to lvl cause you can beat yaizmat at lvl 12233 you know (i think thatsa what the challenge was called

This game is probably the toughest of all the Final Fantasies. It does take a lot of training and looting to get the desired level, equipment, magicks, and technicks. Once you acquire the embroidered tippet, and the golden amulet, then level up and acquiring LP becomes a lot easier. Even at the right level, though, it was still a little easy to get pulverized by a mob if they start to pick on one member of the party at a time until they all get KO'ed. And the bosses that like to hand out status ailments like its money can also be a b**** coz you can only equip one accessory that nullifies one status ailment at a time. Right now I'm at the part where Reddas joins your party. My main party are at levels 52, 53, and 54, and Reddas is at 55. Took me 68 hours to get that far.

Actually you don't really need to train much at all. I end up being at least 10 lvs lower than recommended (When im a decent portion through the game). Equipment plays a more vital part in this game.

I'm in the middle of levelling up at the min before attempting the Feywood & Henne Mines 2 (although I don't use the guide.) Currently all of my characters are level 41, but I don't think they're high enough as I very nearly got battered in this area :(

Yeah - life is a lot easier with the embroidered tippet & golden amulet :D

it is possible to beat yaizmat without even growing 1 lvl so im sure you can beat the game and yaizmat at lvl 38 as for the boss you are talking about thwe ones after the manderoga (however its spelled) right the little pumpkin head things

Yeah I started to train after I got destroyed by some hell hounds in the golmore jungle. After that I trained regularly, going up a few levels before I went along in the story. Last weekend I decided to go do the Yiazmat quest and trained Penelo, Basch, and Balthier from 21 to 60 somthing, boy did that take forever.

i just deafeat all the monsters in the area and move on... it works for me.

my friend is a hard out leveller upper - he was level 25 by the time he left midgar in FF7

I have yet to really train, and I am about to head into the Great Crystal.
I guess just doing all the hunts, filling out maps, and then completing the bestiary (as well as getting those extra bits of information for killing a certain number of monsters).

I really don't believe that this game is meant to be one that makes you train. I think that the hunts are there to replace training, and you should be fine with the story if you do them. Oh, and if you want to level, never run from enemies... the gambit system and adjustable battle speed really makes running from battle silly.

I love training.

My friends have always called me the "Training Queen" because that's all they ever see me doing when they watch me play. I only further the storyline when I feel I've gotten to an acceptable level, which is always abnormally high for the point of the game that I'm at.

Back