FFVII or VIII?

Which is better, 7 or 8?

Votes: 37 74.0%

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
Yep I agree with Rulia on this 8 was an awesome game but I still voted for 7 just beacuse of my personal reasons. FFVII is the first FF game to get me hooked, thats why I say VII. But to say "no contest" or "hands down" I feel is totally wrong. It was a hard choice and thats because they where both really good. If I had played VIII first instead of VII I'm sure my vote would have been different. Like I said it came down to one factor, and that in my case was first played. JMO

I vote for FF VIII.

The story was better because it was filled with less Cliches. Don't get me wrong, FF VII is a great game, but the story isn't really original.

FF VIII had a romance, FF VII did not. And I am a sucker for Romance.

I know everyone is going to flame me now for having this opinion or whatever, but the fans are the ones that make up the whole Tifa/Cloud Aeris/Cloud. It seems more like a really close friendship relation than actual love interests.

Yeah, FF VIII Junction system was easy to abuse, but so was the Materia system. As long as you kept grinding levels in both games you could put every materia to Master and every Junction to maximum.

basically it comes down to if you prefer a story of sorrow and revenge(VII) or a love story(VIII)

was filled with less Cliches

Actually VIII had more cliches.

Also VII did have a small love story Cloud loved aeris and vice versa(of course thats gone when sephy kills her) while tifa loved cloud but cloud didnt notice(what a idiot).

VII No question. the only thing I like about VIII is Squall he's cool:P But VII had an AMAZING storyline; Decnet Graphics; Awesome Characters...and Vincent!!:D

basically it comes down to if you prefer a story of sorrow and revenge(VII) or a love story(VIII)

Actually VIII had more cliches.

Also VII did have a small love story Cloud loved aeris and vice versa(of course thats gone when sephy kills her) while tifa loved cloud but cloud didnt notice(what a idiot).

Could you name the cliche's in FF VIII then?

And I never saw Cloud telling Aeris he loved her, I never saw Tifa telling Cloud she loved him. I even believe that she says on disc 3 that she was acting like that to check up on Cloud's state of mind, to make him remember real memories.

(Don't get me wrong btw, I love FF 7, I just think alot of people overhype it. I am not trying to attack FF 7 or anyone.)

Last edited:
Someone be kind enough to point out these cliches in VII and VIII please~
VII had a love story? No, the fans make it seem as if there is a DEFINITE love story, but there isn't. Forget all Post VII stuff, I'm discussing what happened in VII. No-one declared their love for one another, and though I hate to admit it, VIII had a much better love story - more defined, less ambiguous. Though incredibly shite.

Could you name the cliche's in FF VIII then?

Easiest one is that the main male character falls in love with the main female character.

The ending is a happy one.

The main character has a jealous arch rival.

The main character has a sudden change in personality.

a group of main characters find out they all knew each other when they were young .

Main character uses a sword.

Both the female and male main characters live.

Trust me theirs a lot more because every single final fantasy has hundreds of cliches.

And I never saw Cloud telling Aeris he loved her, I never saw Tifa telling Cloud she loved him. I even believe that she says on disc 3 that she was acting like that to check up on Cloud's state of mind, to make him remember real stuff.

Well It is very unrealistic to start shouting I LOVE YOU to someone while trying to save the world .

(Don't get me wrong btw, I love FF 7, I just think alot of people overhype it.)

Every single final fantasy in my opinion is overated.

Easiest one is that the main male character falls in love with the main female character.

The ending is a happy one.

The main character has a jealous arch rival.

The main character has a sudden change in personality.

a group of main characters find out they all knew each other when they were young .

Main character uses a sword.

Both the female and male main characters live.

Trust me theirs a lot more because every single final fantasy has hundreds of cliches.

Well It is very unrealistic to start shouting I LOVE YOU to someone while trying to save the world .

Every single final fantasy in my opinion is overated.

The things you've listed can't even be considered cliches however. In every movie there is a main character that has to die, I mean that is a cliche (That could be done right like in FF 7) so I wouldnt call everyone lives a cliche.

The Archrival was not jealous either, yet there was an Archrival.

How can a happy ending be a cliche if it is just an ending?

Has a sudden change in personality, yeah typical teenager.

Hardly any cliches in my opinion. The cliche in FF7 was: Soldier going insane and wants to destroy the world.

You can't expect everyone to die in Final Fantasy. You need a main party you know to like..continue onwards?

I dunno,killing off a character seems pretty cliche to me. But if you could add that cliche to FFVIII... I'd pay for it, over and over again. Die FFVIII die...

Final Fantasy VIII is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than FF7 IMO FF7 was crap. the gameplay was slow the graphics sucked and i HATED THE MAGIC SYSTEM! FF8's draw system was way way way better than any other system. I played FF8 first so i guess my opinion is biased but I can't get used to MP systems.

Final Fantasy VIII is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than FF7 IMO FF7 was crap. the gameplay was slow the graphics sucked and i HATED THE MAGIC SYSTEM! FF8's draw system was way way way better than any other system. I played FF8 first so i guess my opinion is biased but I can't get used to MP systems.

crap???? how very odd.

Dont get me wrong i loved 8 but putting it above 7 is............silly

crap???? how very odd.

How can it be silly if even Gamespot had put it above 7? FF 7 is not that great. The typical bad guy, typical anti-hero going hero.

Just because you like FF 7 more doesn't actually make it a superior game.

Last edited:
crap???? how very odd.

Lol, silly. It's never silly. People have their own opinions. ;) She can't help it that she doesn't like VII. Same for those who doesn't like VIII. Really, it all comes down to what the player feels is best.

She can't help it that she doesn't like VII.

Exactly, and that is why there are so many mental homes today. Sometimes people just aren't capable of making good decisions on their own. :P hehe I'm teasing. But yea, it's all opinion. As much as I hate FFVIII, I don't blame anyone for liking it. I might tease the holy bajesus out of them... but an opinion is an opinion.

VIII for me. This thread is going to be one big bitch feast. Im saying VIII because it was the first Final Fantasy I played and it introduced me to the series, but also the RPG genre for the PlayStation. I started playing it back in 1999 and I still do to this day.

I connected with Squall as I was a moody teen at the time and I could relate to him in a way, like adults moaning about what they should have done in life and how lifes far too short. Astounding and perfect game for me. Love it.

Back