Final Fantasy XIV Announced - PS3 Exclusive

FFXI Online was first released in 2001 in Japan, and 2003 rest of the world. FFXI Online is already a game that has been out for a quite long time and mmorpgs that are out that long will just lose players till the end because you'll get very bored =/ ...

You're forgetting that they don't really care if you're bored with the game. If you've been playing it for a least 2 months they've already made enough money that they'd get by purchasing a normal game. Add on the monthly subscription and they've accumulated tons of money from that game over the years. It doesn't matter if they lose players, they constantly gain them to make up for it.

And I'm not that sure this will be a PS3 exclusive. FFXI was just PS2 and PC then Xbox was added on after a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they added it on again.

So...................that's why Square Enix is taking sooooooooooooooo long on its Fabula Nova Crystallis games, because they're making about 10 different games at once!

Seriously, as pleasantly surprised as I was to hear what Rapture's new name is, no one asked for a new MMORPG from Square and to thin their teams out so much to work on multiple games is just a terrible decision for Square Enix.

Considering XIII is only 60% complete from what I heard.

Then again wouldn't it be funny to see XIV come out before XIII?

i hope so, but it says its VERY EXCLUSIVE to ps3 tho the pc will get its own game to... but i doubt you would be able to cross play between consoles.. and i doubt that it will be ported to 360, coz sony are like that =/

I doubt it only being 60% done, considering it comes out in December and they actually just finished voice acting recently or got close to it. Heck, the Xbox demo at Microsoft's press conference was full english, from voices to menus I believe.

As far as cross play between consoles, why not? FFXI does it. It's not all that hard. I can see it hitting the 360, later in life. Same as with FFXI. Can't have exclusivity when it's coming out on multiple platforms anyways really. Even Microsoft releasing a game on Xbox and PC would only be Microsoft exclusive, where as on one would be Xbox OR PC exclusive.

FFXI in itself is not bad. I've played for years. Actually, it's a truly great game for an MMORPG. The battle system and all. After a while it does get boring though. I've basically lost the desire to play :P Another problem with it is that it is full of total jerks, so it has ruined the game a bit.

I doubt it only being 60% done, considering it comes out in December and they actually just finished voice acting recently or got close to it. Heck, the Xbox demo at Microsoft's press conference was full english, from voices to menus I believe.

They have come out recently saying that the production of the game as well as localisation is currently at 60% on several sites from what I've seen. They say that the basic areas are done and it's just finishing off certain areas, it's complete enough to start porting it over to the 360 anyway so it doesn't really matter. It seems to be going well.

Wait, is it only going to be for the PS3?

When it was announced at the conference Sony said it was PS3-exclusive. On the FFXIV site however it did say that was out on the PC too so it's only exclusive from a console perspective.

Well that sucks. Maybe they will change their minds and make it for the 360 too. Cause thats the only system i will be able to play it for. My computer sucks so bad.

If its a MMO i would very much doubt it would be free to play, most great MMO titles are pay to play games and i really hope this is one of those games. Also there was a SE press conference a few hours ago totally about FF XIV and heres the link: http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696020/Live-Blog-Square-Enix-E3-2009-Press-Conference.html so hopefully that will answer some questions

Anyways the cinimatic looks freakn awesome! to bad for the XI players, most of them will transfer over to XIV even though XI has a whole year of new content currently planned to release. Here's hoping the games story will blow me away in its epicness aswell as its gameplay. Though I play WoW atm i wouldnt mind a change in scenery, so im hopin to god this turns out too be as great if not better then WoW

Last edited:
I've played FFXI for about 5 years, met awesome people, met new friends from Japan who actually came to visit me here in the U.S. After a 2 year break, I thought I'd never play an MMO again, but here I am playin WoW, lol! Seems, that I'll be spending a lot of time with another awesome MMO soon, I can't wait!

Well I actually loved FFXI, even though at the time I was very disappointed with the graphics. The party tactics were ungodly good, but the community dwindled to a very few. The lvling was slow, but EQ was slower.

So for them to come out with another MMO, I hope this time they hit the ball right out of the park. There will always be haters, so I hope for the most part they do well with this.

I think WoW needs some healthy competition. It's been a juggernaut for way to long. Love the video, can't wait to see what SE brings to the stage.

If its a MMO i would very much doubt it would be free to play, most great MMO titles are pay to play games and i really hope this is one of those games.
I still don't see the necessity of paying, the likes of Perfect World and stuff are free and are still updated and patched so I don't see why FFXIV can't be, even if it's free to play and the better items and additional content you have to pay for it'd be understandable, but I've always been against paying to play a game you've already bought and always will be. Especially since this is most likely a money grabbing scheme.

I still don't see the necessity of paying, the likes of Perfect World and stuff are free and are still updated and patched so I don't see why FFXIV can't be, even if it's free to play and the better items and additional content you have to pay for it'd be understandable, but I've always been against paying to play a game you've already bought and always will be. Especially since this is most likely a money grabbing scheme.

I don't like Micro-payment systems like the one Perfect World uses to be honest. Sure it's one way of making money, but I prefer letting everyone get the same content for a modest monthly fee. There'll probably be more MMO's using micro-payment systems in the future though. Especially because of the success of micro-payment on Xbox Live and Nintendo's Virtual Console. It has been rumoured that BioWare's Star Wars: Old Republic would use micro-payment rather than a monthly fee, so I wouldn't be too surprised if FF XIV ended up doing just that.

Last edited:
Omg What the hell Final Fantasy XIV already! Ummmm Xiii is not even out yet!

My friend said the same thing funnily enough. Well I know that I'll be getting it! I've never played XI myself but I know of a friend who plays it online and from what he's told me it sounds extremely fun, I was planning to get it on the PC but now that this one is coming out on the ps3 I'll surely buy this version. ^^

Ok im just going to make a post for all the things Ive read on here, sorry for being long.

For those saying why another MMO they have FFXI. Its been 7 or so years since that's been out and while its still a great game they haven't done any graphics upgrades like other games do. FFXI was not a fail, it still has 500,000 subs and before WoW exploded that would be considered very successful.

FFXI was my favorite MMO no other game had the magic of that game, the storyline was amazing compared to all other mmo's with cut scenes, It wasn't a quest driven game and actually was for grouping. Now MMO's are solo frendly, If I wanted to play solo Id play an offline RPG.

I think it should be named FFXIV pretty much every other FF game has been different had different characters and different worlds.

Oh and as for PS3 exclusive I bet you it will eventually come out for the 360, FFXI came out for 360. The cool thing is that no matter what you play on you can play on the same servers. No other MMO has done that, it brings a wider audience to the game.

Next is paying monthly fees, Yeah I know some of you are weary about that, but the game is constantly getting updated SE has to pay employee's pay for servers and matinence on them and pay for bandwith as well. So thats why you have to pay in the first place. FFXI was 13 bucks a month and if you think about it, you go to the movies and pay 10 bucks to watch a movie for about 2 hours. But you can play the game unlimited amount of time a month and if FFXIV is anything like XI it will keep me playing for years to come.

Now it comes to the micro payments, most of the time to even compete with other people in free to play games you end up spending more than you would just playing a flat 15 buck fee. Having to pay 10 bucks for a mount and so on.... Id rather pay up front and earn my stuff rather than paying for it...... If anything Micro Transactions seem more like a scam than paying a monthly fee.

FFXIV

I honestly believe this is the next big big big MMORPG. I loved FFXI and the team was quoted saying "We started by trying to create the best FF ever and eventually we decided it would have to be a MMO." I truely think they are putting alot of work into this project and fixing ALL the problems XI had. As for Pay to play if they don't make it free i think it will be pretty cheap. PLUS this game will be much more accessible especially if they put it on microsoft software too because there is much better internet possibilities out there. A long time ago i took a chance in FFXI and invested the money it took to play the Ps2 version and i can't say i've ever spent a better buck on a game.

Anyone who doubts this game is wrong to do so and they said they are working towards a Great story driven MMO so you won't be losing your awesome stories FF's are famed for. Any saying it's too early for XIV has not researched enough i guess cause FFXI came out for PC in 2003 6 years ago and it will be 7 when this game comes out. The FFXI team is different than the other FF teams so yeah... i think 7 years is plenty of time to make another game. AND those people who say they should just keep making expansions for FFXI has gone completely mad. Its Ps2 for god sakes. We're in the next gen folks idc what sony press conferences say about anything. This is next gen, this is THE FF of our time, and it will be the best FF ever made. I hope you agree and found this a good/interesting read. This will probably be my only post ever in these forums. Just thought i should enlighten the disbelievers who want to sit in there rooms by themselves and never talk to anyone but in forums.

Just thought i should enlighten the disbelievers who want to sit in there rooms by themselves and never talk to anyone but in forums.

You're entitled to your opinion about the game, but it's probably not the best idea to insult those who hold a different opinion to you by suggesting they're all bedroom-bound loners.

Well this certainly came as a surprise, and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. The stuff I heard about FFXI was pretty mixed so with any luck this will see them building on the best aspects of FFXI to deliver something great.

I just went out and bought FFXI. -facepalm-
and it's a PS3 exclusive, eh? Interesting. :-) I'm an owner of a PS3, but it'll have to see how FFXI goes by then...

Well when it comes to consoles atm yes FFXIV is PS3 exclusive. But at SE's Q&A session a couple of days ago they said "in terms of other hardware devices, including Microsoft's, we're considering all possibilities.".

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/03/square-enix-considering-all-hardware-possibilities-for-final-f/

Now it's not exactly coming out saying that it is coming out for the 360 but it could be that it may end up being a timed exclusive or something going by this. I just love how they said this up like 24 hours after Sony proudly stating that it was exclusive to them.

Back