Hardest Boss in the Final Fantasy Series...

ff 12 optional boss omega mark 12

Mod edit

Put more effort in your post please, say why you thought this was the hardest, thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda depends on level, ne?

Many are saying Yunalesca from X, but you can grind like no other in that game and destroy everyone if you please.

So IMO, it comes down to a Boss that is designed so well, that regardless of your level, and regardless of your equipment, he/she/it is an extremely difficult mother.

I have yet to play it, but I have heard some explain that IV is ridonkulously hard to beat, but I don't know if that is because of bosses.

Both Omega Weapon and Yiazmat (sp?) from XII were ridonk IMO.

I think hardest boss has to be the esper Zodiak from FFXII.
You have to be lucky to beat him even at level 90.

Dr. Lugae from FFIV DS. He was the only boss that has ever given me the most trouble all because of his stupid Reversal Gas which meant all cure spells inflicted damage on to us and all physical damage including black magic to Dr. Lugae healed him. So by the time I throw an Elixir at him when I was thinkingthe spell is still in effect which it wasn't, I end up curing him instead of hurting him which made the battle much more difficult for me to complete because of that.

Yunalesca in FFX was another one that gave me trouble the first time I fought her all because of her Zombie and Death spells which caused a few problems with healing my characters that had Zombie on them and her casting Death onto my party which killed off my characters that did not have zombie on them.

Ruby Weapon was very difficult but I'm going to say Yiazmat for the simple fact that it takes a long time to beat him

i'd have to say sephiroth from ff7 my bro is a nerd and he couldn't finnish it so i just watched the cutscene after u defeat him online!

Ruby and Emerald Weapon (ff7)
Omega Weapon (ff8)
Zodiark and a purple T-rex-like creature which can be found in the ridorana cataract gate to pharos at ridorana. I don't think it's a boss monster anyway (ff12)

yazimat
50.000.000HP
imune to every negative status

Mod Edit: Please put more effort into elaborating why you specifically thought Yazimat. Thank you :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it has to be Seymour at Gagazet and Safer Sephiroth both of the murdered me with their strongest attacks for one i was low on health when they casted it and two they are hard as heck to me anyway.

As hard as Emerald WEAPON is for me in FFVII, I have to say that the attacks of an enemy have never intimidated me as much as Omega's from FFXII. When an enemy can attack 5 times in 5 seconds and give you no chance to retaliate even to check if your head is still attached to your neck, than this boss is serious.

I have gone into the battle with characters in the 90's, fought out a good 30+ minutes on hacking away his HP, and then he just flexes and all my characters push up daisies, and it's lights out for them.

Omega from FFXII for me, definitely.

Honestly, I could say many bosses here.

FFVIII's Omega Weapon was quite hard unless you had many Hero's and could continuously cast Aura.

FFVII's Ruby Weapon was very hard. The problem that you couldn't use Knights of the Round just took away most chance of killing it on your first try, and you had to think strategically and time your attacks for when he wasn't ready to suck your character in a whirlpool.

And it might be just me, but in FFV, Neo X-Death seemed to have so much hp, that it took me an hour just to beat him.

id say yiazmat is the hardest and the most annoying i got to his last bar 3 times and died both times 3rd time i finally killed him

Out of the ones I've played, I would say Ultimecia from FF8. She was such a long-winded boss and if you didn't have THE perfect strategy and have everything go your way, then you were screwed.

maybe Ultimecia, took me many tries, had to have a decent strat to beat her.
and for some reason the first time i played ff9 necron was incredibally hard, but i was new to ff series, so didnt fully understand the system, but now i beat his ass in no time at all.

Out of the bosses you have to fight, Golbez. First he paralyzes your entire team, then he kills off everyone except Cecil, and by that point Rydia comes in. Then you have to revive everyone else and keep them alive while trying to take down Golbez, which is extremely difficult if you are using elemental magic or summons, because he can change what he absorbs. And somewhere near the end of the battle, I think he makes it so that he absorbs everything.

And if you're underleveled and stupid (like me), Trance Kuja is a pain. I had to start the game over just to beat him. Funny how he's so incredibly easy when you have all the ultimate weapons and whatnot.

I signed up PURELY to reply to this ridiculous thread, I mean seriously.. Have ANY of you even cleared final fantasy 10 fully? Honestly? I'm betting a lot of money you havn't because Penance is by far the hardest boss in FF history. I have played every single one from start to finish including all secret bosses etc - My favourite is 7 for obvious reasons but Ruby and emerald are nothing in comparison to the insta-gib abilities of penance.. I'm betting you lot you justed wakizashi on all the dark aeons and thought they were weak - try it without yojimbo, I did and it was SO much more fun.. Then when I defeated the last one and penance rose up from the gorge in the calm lands I knew I was in for a real challenge, first time I fought him he did every status effect under the sun on 2 of my characters, sure as hell wasn't expecting that - but with perseverance and the right item setup for the job (And maxed out expert sphere grids with every sphere used.) I finally took him down.. Penance, the hardest boss in FF history - and only Lord_Gel seems to of actually fought him along with me.

People saying yunalesca, I pity you.. That really was not hard, by anyones standards.. Ever.

By the way never going to read replies so before you reply, go play FF10 - kill penance and all the dark aeons (Without yojimbo) then come edit your posts..

Last edited:
Hmm, this is a toughy for me. I mean, so much of the time, it just depends on what/how you've prepared. For example, I got my ass severely swatted (that's right) by Yunalesca the first time. I prepared the 2nd time and didn't have any trouble.

I don't find the weapons that difficult...I don't know if I'm just super lucky or what, but it only took me 2 tries with Ruby, and I think 3 with emerald. And I was only in the higher 60's for levelling.

Anyways, I don't remember what it was called, but in XII, there's a boss right after you leave the Viera. It's like a giant forest-moss dragon. The whole fight, I had to cancel my gambits and assign everyone different things after every attack he did. I spent most of that fight in the lower 10% of health. Took me a good four or five tries. So many status effects, super powerful attacks that hit everyone, etc. etc. Painful.

Haha, does Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts count? I mean, seriously, what was that??

Back