Lost

I must say having been a fan of this show for only a couple of years, I have defended this show to so many people I have actually lost count, defended it on the grounds of JJ Abrams being an excellent writer for TV Shows, he did wonders with Alias, but that is not the topic of discussion here. Lost is.

I just have to say after seeing the finale, I feel HIGHLY disappointed we got ZERO answers, just more questions, I get what people are saying here but it's all speculation, I mean they knew this was show was going to end after it's sixth season, they supposedly had the ending already planned, and yet they go and give us this cop out.

As far as series finales go as a whole, I gotta to say, it was one of the WORST ones I have seen EVER!

The more I think about the finale the more rage I get for it, I mean I know EVERY question couldn't have been answered, but to just answer none of these longlasting questions. This show has been an epic fail when it comes to giving you answers. I expected more from the show, it had great potention to be epic, I expected more from JJ Abrams too!

I mean they knew this was show was going to end after it's sixth season, they supposedly had the ending already planned, and yet they go and give us this cop out.

As far as series finales go as a whole, I gotta to say, it was one of the WORST ones I have seen EVER!

Well you kind of answer your question there, they planned it this way, this is the ending they chose, whether people like it or not. It's not a cop out to leave things up in the air, I quite like that approach sometimes (see also: David Lynch). Indeed, this episode was much better than Across the Sea which tried to shed some light on things and didn't really work in my opinion. As for saying it's one of the worst series finales you've ever seen, frankly all I can say is come off it.

If people are disappointed by the ending, fine. I just can't believe how many people seem shocked by it, as if they expected to have the veil lifted and things answered. What show have you been watching, because it doesn't sound much like Lost.

On a side note, was it implied with his first grey hair that Richard would now age normally and die normally?
Yeah,
Jacob's immortality was a "quirk", if you will, that he was granted as the island's keeper. He then passed immortality on to Richard in exchange for his assistance. Upon Jacob's passing and relinquish of the role to Jack, Richard became mortal again (as Jacob's power no longer existed).

I thought they cleverly handled that by waiting until after The Smoke Monster "did him in" for Jacob to release his entitlement and power. Glad to see Richard survive.
-

As for the Michael-Walt thing:

I thought it made sense that
neither showed in the church.

For Michael: His actor, Harold, explained that Michael was damned to the island after what he did to the others, in what one would assume to be a "purgatory"-esque state. I think Michael explained that to Hurley on the show. Of course the real reason was because of Walt's actor.

For Walt: He was just a boy when on the island. His time there likely ended up as more traumatic for him than anything, after getting kidnapped and especially after finding out what his dad did to get them both rescued. I think one could conclude that it was ultimately best that he stay away from the island or anything related.
--

And as for a particular relationship -
that of Sayid and Shannon.

I know that they seemed odd, but to be fair, they didn't have the exposure that the others had. Their relationship was all about breeching cultural barriers and making each other better - I think they succeeded in that. Sayid's actor also described the character as a romantic, which we did see in his character a lot. So it made sense to see him keeping heart for Shannon.
--

Lastly, about one of the climatic pieces of the ending...

I agree that it wasn't the most epic thing, but I agree with Argor in that they handled it logically. They could have made it overblown, but it wouldn't have really made sense to do so. FLocke was made mortal, so they couldn't pull some kind of overblown stunt with it.
--

I expected more from JJ Abrams too!
Abrams wrote, like, two episodes of Lost. He wrote and directed the two-part Pilot, and he co-wrote the first episode of Season 3. He stayed on Lost as a producer, but it was David Lindelof and Carlton Cuse who wrote the bulk of the show.

Last edited:
Ok... When I watched it, the more I thought about it the more annoyed I got about it...

Now the more I talk about it and the more I think about it, the more I try and see here they were coming from.

I like
how the flashes this season were of their time in purgatory/limbo and not a case of what could have been.

I also kinda like how, only kinda cos I'm not overly fond of it but I can live with it
the ending is more of a 'make of it what you will'

I just would have liked to know more you know like
What was the name of fake locke... He's just Locke but he has to have a name himself. What's the deal with Desmond, why was he practically invincible? I mean he survived pure toture with the light thing from Widmore AND in the finale.

I can kinda grasp the concept of
the time traelling thing, like I get why they did it, but not how it stopped half way through season 5 you know?

As for the ending
The whole interpreting it for yourself, it makes me wonder how long they were in purgatory before Jack showed up to help them move on, since Hurley and Ben took over the island afterall?

Oh, I thought Abrams was more hands on with the writing of the episodes than that.

so overall, I would still say I am disappointed to a certain extent, but I do think the ending was clever in a way. I do think I needs to rewatch since you never pick up everything on your first sitting. But I'mma wait for the DVDs and start back at the very beginning! Angel is case in point about not picking up stuff right away, it took me YEARS to clock the signiface of a particular scene in an episode and I'd seen the episode tons of times over the years and only truly clicked a couple of years ago :ffs:

I just would have liked to know more you know like
What was the name of fake locke... He's just Locke but he has to have a name himself. What's the deal with Desmond, why was he practically invincible? I mean he survived pure toture with the light thing from Widmore AND in the finale.

It is because of the
accident which Desmond was exposed to when they failed to press the button in the hatch. Desmond turned the failsafe key, but the hatch still imploded. Desmond was exposed to extreme doses of electromagnetism, but survived. His consciousness started jumping through time from this point, and I think he developed a kind of immunity from this accident, which enabled him to enter the pool of light unharmed, among other things

As for the name of
FLocke... I would have liked to have learned what it was, but I guess since Jacob died there was little opportunity for them to tell us. I guess a lot of the mystery and darkness surrounding the character was the lack of a name, which made him seem less human and more of an entity which should not be reckoned with

I can kinda grasp the concept of
the time traelling thing, like I get why they did it, but not how it stopped half way through season 5 you know?
The
time travelling was a result of the frozen donkey wheel underneath the Orchid station becoming unhinged after Ben used it to 'move' the island. They passed through time until Locke managed to fix it again. It took the explosion of the hydrogen bomb to bring those still trapped in the 70s back to the present again

As for the ending
The whole interpreting it for yourself, it makes me wonder how long they were in purgatory before Jack showed up to help them move on, since Hurley and Ben took over the island afterall?
Christian said that there is "no now... here" or something like that. Time doesn't run at the same pace, if at all. Time in purgatory did not exist, and everyone, despite dying at different times, and some in different time periods, all existed at the same time in that realm

Taking a break from defending the ending of Lost, I got to thinking…

What were
the skeletons in the cave of the source of the light? Who did they belong to? I think that it’s possible that they may have been Dharma, and one of the main reasons for the Purge was because they had gotten too close to the source of the light, and thus needed to be stopped before they got too far and destroyed it

They may also
be the bodies of other 'smoke monsters', as it may be that there were others before our Smokey. Mother knew that falling into the source could create a "fate worse than death", so perhaps there had been a smoke monster before. The Egyptian inscriptions showing Anubis with a squiggly line (which many people took to be the smoke monster) would suggest as much, as this was likely built before Jacob and his brother were even born, though it could be from Egypt after Jacob etc, but be from a later, more Graeco-Roman period of Egypt. If Mother hadn’t seen a smoke monster, she might have been aware that it was possible, and so did the civilisations before Jacob and MiB. That said, if there were any other smoke monsters who came into direct contact with the source then their bodies would likely have been thrown out into the stream where both MiB and Jack ended up

Another possibility is that one of
the skeletons is Christian Shepard’s body, as his shoe is near to the source and his body might have been washed down there. I can’t remember how many bodies there were down there though. They might just have been the bodies of the people who built the area around the source, or even simply just planted there to show the viewer that this place as dangerous

Last edited:
I thought the ending with
Jack dying while he watched the plane fly over him
was good. This epilogue seems a bit unnecessary because the main conflict has been resolved. But who can complain really? At the end of the day it just means more Lost for us. In other words, I'd rather see the epilogue than not see it.

I thought the ending with
Jack dying while he watched the plane fly over him
was good. This epilogue seems a bit unnecessary because the main conflict has been resolved. But who can complain really? At the end of the day it just means more Lost for us. In other words, I'd rather see the epilogue than not see it.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand.

I'm one of the few people who liked the ending of Lost, so I'm not anticipating anything more, and in a way I sort of like having to play the detective with the clues we have been given to work out all of the unanswered questions.

Since this is just an epilogue, and is showing us something which we wouldn't mind seeing and it shouldn't ruin the impact of the ending, then I'm happy with this. I wouldn't want them to keep adding lots of stuff, but they aren't, so I'm fine with this short scene.

To be quite frank, I would take anything just to make up for the shitty ending. The questions I have will never be answered (because apparently leaving everything up to the viewer to decide is automatically good, and enables the audience to bathe in fanwank... :hmmm:) and I'll continue to get nothing but popular fan theories as "justified facts".

At least I could say the series was good, but I'm completely disappointed by the way it ended. I'll probably never get the satisfaction that I want, but meh, seeing as TV has been complete shit lately, I should have known that they would cop out like they did.

-__-

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/26/lost-bonus-12-14-minute-epilogue-will-be-released-on-dvd/

Could be interesting, could be very uninformative, or could just infuriate some people further XD[/font]

This is almost as brillant as DLC for games :brooding: I love how they couldn't be bothered to work it into an actual episode, just like
any kind of satisfying explanation of how each individual character reacted to the realization that they were dead.
I'm sure they all felt exactly the same way about it, since they all had completely identical personalities that weren't worth elaborating upon :mokken:

Sorry, but the more I think about the ending, the angrier I get. It seemed like a great deal of the first 2 seasons (at least, maybe more) was dedicated to elaborate, well-crafted character development; but as the show neared the end, we were just supposed to make assumptions on what the characters were feeling many of the times, because unlike the flashbacks from the earlier seasons, the flashforwards and flash-sideways sequences did not focus on showing us character development as much as simple cut-and-dry events that occurred there. So it began to feel more like an amalgamated, "collective" plot than a story about individuals. If they'd given the show more time, they could've ended it the same way they began it--giving every character his or her own "final" episode to give closure to his or her individual story, just like each character got their own "introductory" episode. And having been a dedicated fan for so long, I'm quite disappointed that they didn't do this :sad3:

I like the idea of an epic, but if it's only going to be on the complete series box then what's the point? I mean for people who have seasons 1-5 and are just waiting fro season 6 to be released will not want to fork out a shedload of cash for the complete series to just duplicate DVDs they already have and for what a brief epilogue.

I mean, I find my less angrier about the finale, but it is still under no way acceptable, a finale that has been properly planned, is supposed to have a sense of finality to it, and not leave everything to conjecture. But all they did is just say here what little information you have been given, we've not been very good at giving you answers so take what you know and form your own answers. I can seriously understand why people stopped watching the show.

I'll watch the finale again but I'm not in any major rush to do so at this moment.

Well it was pretty final as far as I'm concerned. And it doesn't leave everything open to conjecture, it leaves some things open-ended. They wanted the viewers to come up with their own answers for some things? Good. I like that. Some people don't.

I'm going to buy the seasons I don't already have yet on DVD (I have 1,2 and 5, which isn't very logical I know) soon so I can rewatch, shame I have to wait until September for the final season boxset :(

I has 1-5 and don't plan on getting the complete series when all I need is the 6th box, so either the epilogue gets added to that or I don't watch it

When I get season 6, and have time... I still have TONS of TV boxsets to watch that I got from christmas! ...I'll rewatch Lost from the VERY beginning and watch them at my own pace :)

If they'd given the show more time, they could've ended it the same way they began it--giving every character his or her own "final" episode to give closure to his or her individual story, just like each character got their own "introductory" episode. And having been a dedicated fan for so long, I'm quite disappointed that they didn't do this :sad3:

In a way they did though.
Jack, Sawyer, Sun and Jin etc all had their own
Flashsideways
episodes. They didn’t realise that
they were dead until the end, and they didn’t show us those that knew beforehand because it was the big surprise at the end
. Knowing what we know now and looking back at them is what we’re meant to do now. And the moments when
they ‘remembered’ show their reactions, it’s just that Jack had a harder time believing it because he is the main character, and through him learning the viewer learned

In a way, one of Lost’s major themes (faith vs science) can apply to its fanbase as well. Those that wanted a clear cut scientific explanation for everything are really disappointed, whereas it turns out that the how or what of the island wasn’t where the importance was found at all, but more in the why; the faith wins in the end. People become
protectors to a light which has perhaps lost its true history and origin (I doubt even Jacob knew everything about it, as Mother died before she could reveal any more), but it is their blind faith, knowing that it is important but not knowing exactly how which this show was all about,
and which angers so many people as they wanted to know everything.

I just feel as if they felt that they didn’t need to explain everything, or to take time out of the final episode to turn around and address everything in turn. What they did instead, like they did throughout the series, was give us clues so that we could put two and two together and realise, without them having to set time aside to make a character say “oh by the way, now that we know this, this means that this happened because of this”. To do that would to be changing the structure of Lost, and it would break the flow of the story. They just gave us quite a few more clues, and some of the more important answers (which in turn can be used to solve other mysteries), in this final season, especially relating to the first season.

If people don’t like it (which I can see is the case with a lot of angry people all over the internet), then that is fair enough, and that also really sucks. I just feel sorry for the writers of Lost getting all of this on the internet when they couldn’t really have been expected to explain absolutely every little detail within a two and a half hour finale, and even if they set aside an entire separate season to explain everything then that just would not flow and people would complain about how crap the quality was. I don't think they ever intended to have a voice booming from the heavens revealing all of the answers in one go, so what they did give us was the importance of the island, and lots of clues for us to work out what it meant for ourselves.

Last edited:
Finally got around to finishing the whole thing, a little later than most people. The ending didn't really feel like an ending to me.
I'd heard that they were all dead quite a few years ago from someone I sued to work with, and I've drifted in and out of believing that so it didn't really come as a massive shock to me by the end. I just don't really think it was much of an ending. It seemed a bit rushed to me; as though they were forced to call series 6 the final series.
I think the whole thing definitely needed another series to make it more satisfactory.

Back