Pronunciation of Tidus

Teedus or Tiedus?

• Tee-dus

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Tie-dus

Votes: 51 73.9%

• Total voters
I always thought it was tie-dus intil I saw that interview with James Arnold Taylor too. I hate it pronounced tee-dus, it sounds stupid. I still call him tie-dus no matter how it's pronounced.

There is no wrong or right way of saying it, it's however you want to interpret it. James Arnold Taylor says Tee-dus in the bonus disc, yeah. But that might be something to do with his American accent, I don't know. Personally, I've always said Tie-dus, but like I said, it's how you want to say it. Because Tie-dus reminds me of tidal, and he's a blitzball player in water and thus I've always felt it suits more than Tee-dus.

I've always said tee-dus because it sounds easier to pronounce. Same go's for when American's pronounce I-raq instead of E-roq(I think some british lady said it this way).

I asked my Japanese teacher at school ( he is in his 70's, spent I think 6 years in America so far ) and he said the long i sound as in Tie-dus does not exist in the japanese language. So, from his point guess "correctly" it would be Tee-dus... but I still say Tie-dus :)

I suppose "Tee-dus" is the correct way, and pretty much everyone I know pronounces it that way. However, I say "Tie-dus" in my head, because that's how I said it when I started playing the game. It's the same with Aerith. I know her name is supposed to be "Aerith," but I still write "Aeris" because it holds over from my FFVII days.

In japan there is no long I sound you cannot correctly pronounce it Tie-dus because in Japanese they're as already stated there is no ie sound so it is really pronouned tee-dus...

Words of Ivory said:
How could that be sticking to the Japanese roots when his names in the Japense version is Tee-da. Nomura himself has explained where the name came from (Tiida means "sun"), and he even said the name as "Tee-da" in video interviews.

Yes, that makes sense. It with fit with the whole "Cloud," "Squall," and "Sora (sky)" pattern of naming the hero after sky things.

Yeah my cousin who lives in Japan goes with the "tee-dus" pronunciation, but i just say "tie-dus". It just sounds a lot better and more natural to me! lol

Back