North Korea . . . . . .0 . . 3 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 1 . . . 12 . .-11

GROUP H
Nation . . . . . . . . . W . . L . . D . . Pts . . GF . . GA . . GD
Spain . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 4 . . . 2 . . .+2
Chile . . . . . . . . . . .2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .+1
Switzerland . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0
Honduras . . . . . . . .0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0 . . . 3 . . .-3

1A: Uruguay - 2
2B: South Korea - 1 . . . . . Uruguay - 1 (4-2)

1C: United States - 1 . . . . Ghana - 1 . . . . . . . . Uruguay - 2
2D: Ghana - 2

1E: Netherlands - 2
2F: Slovakia - 1 . . . . . . . . Netherlands - 2 . . . Netherlands - 3 . . . . Netherlands

1G: Brazil - 3 . . . . . . . . . . Brazil - 1
2H: Chile - 0

1B: Argentina - 3
2A: Mexico - 1 . . . . . . . . . Argentina - 0

1D: Germany - 4 . . . . . . . Germany - 4 . . . . . . . Germany - 0 . . . . Spain
2C: England - 1

1F: Paraguay - 0 (5-3)
2E: Japan - 0 . . . . . . . . . . Paraguay - 0 . . . . . . . Spain - 1

1H: Spain - 1 . . . . . . . . . . Spain - 1
2G: Portugal - 0

Thoughts? Who do you predict will advance to the Round of 16? Is Group G the Group of Death, or is it Group D? Who will win it all? Who is a darkhorse to send someone home early? Which favorite will not make it out of Group play? How many friendships here will be permanently scarred when England open up against the U.S.?

Last edited:
In order of questions asked:

1. Group of Sixteen: Mexico, France, Argentina, Nigeria, U.S., Algeria, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Brazil, Cote D'Ivore, Spain, Chile

2. Group G, ain't anyone stopping Brazil in that group.

3. Germany or Brazil

4. Ghana

5. England

6. No.

Group C:

E ngland
A lgeria
S lovenia
Y anks

:lew: That was the headline in The Sun newspaper :lew:

TBH, I think the only group of death is group G. And I think it's fairly obvious which teams will advance but anything can happen in football.
I think if Spain and Brazil win their groups, they can't meet until the final. I think that'll happen though with Spain winning inside 90 mins. They both have excellent players and good styles of play, but Spain are better.

In my country, people are already praiying but i ain't worried Portugal will pass and then challenge Spain for glory, just you wait and see and yeah i'm biased;)

As for the others groups i have no ideia...i just know Spain is the favourite to win in my opinion.

Group A:
South Africa
France

Group B:
Argentina
South Korea

Group C:
England
United States

Group D:
Germany
Australia

Group E:
Netherlands
Japan

Group F:
Italy
Slovakia

Group G:
Brazil
Cote d'Ivoire

Group H:
Spain
Switzerland

Group of death is "Group G". As for us (England) I expect a full 9 of 9 points, USA will be a slightly tricky tie but nothing that should cause us too much of a problem. South Africa will be a dark horse due to being the host nation, though I don't think they will win it. South Korea and Japan seem quite strong when it comes to tournaments as well so I reckon they'll be a tricky tie as well.

And I chose to eliminate Portugal for the Ivory Coast purely because I think Portugal are overrated, they struggled through the group stages and even then didn't have a good qualifying play-off against a weak side (I forgot who it was).

Spain are the obvious ones to watch having won Euro 2008 and lost something like 1 game in 32/33. I know this is obviously going to sound bias because I'm English but I think we have a good chance of winning as long as we get the keeper place sorted and the defence which seems rocky. We were the highest scoring team in the tournament, lost only 1 game of 10 and even then we had qualified with 2 games left to play (in which 1 of those was the ones we lost).

We had a good 2-2 draw against Holland. A draw doesn't sound good but we were 2-0 down and still could have won easily if it weren't for the defensive mistakes that undid us, and we controlled the game comfortably. Then we only lost to Brazil 1-0 and that was with a 2nd, even 3rd string team with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry amongst 7/8 first team players who had to pull out with injuried.

Come on England! :gasp:

TBH, I think the only group of death is group G.

The reason I think it's Group D is because it's stronger top to bottom. North Korea will be lucky to score a goal and I don't think Portugal is all that strong. On the other hand, I could see any team in D advancing, and 3 of the 4 stand a reasonable chance of winning the Group.

For my advancers, I'll go with: Mexico, France, Argentina, Nigeria, England, USA, Germany, Ghana, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Slovakia, Brazil, Cote d'Ivoire, Spain, and Chile.

I think Argentina is the top seed that is most vulnerable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Greece or South Korea slip in out of that group.

I think the Ghanaians will upset the 3 Lions in the knockout round, and Italy are my darkhorses to win it all. Things broke perfectly for them in terms of draw, so they can walk into knockout play and save their legs.

I have to agree that Spain are the favorites to win it all. They looked incredibly good in Euro 2008.

I wish we were in Group G instead of F, there's no shame in loosing to Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast.

I think Group A is quite open, if France weren't coached be Raymond Domenech, they'd be one of the favourites to win, and they've probably got more individual talent than anyone except Spain and possibly Brazil. So I think they'll go through, possibly with Uruguay, Diego Forlan is one of the best strikers in Europe, and I think they'll have more experience than Mexico or South Africa.

Argentina and Nigeria. Nigeria being one of the best Sub-Saharan African teams, and Argentina are Argentina, brilliant attacking potential, poor defence.

Group C will be England and any one of the other three teams, none of which are any good.

Group D, Germany and Serbia, the way Serbia dominated their qualifying group is proof that they are a good team. They've got Vidic and Ivanovic in defence and Stankovic up front, They probably won't get much further, but they should beat Australia and Ghana.

Group E, Holland and A N Other.
Probably Cameroon, I don't know so that's just a guess.

Group F is probably the worst group.
Italy aren't particularly good, they played poorly at the confederations cup and didn't play to well qualifying.
They've got quite and old sqaud and Lippi won't call up Cassano.
However they've got the players to get to the next round, I'm quite a big Pirlo fan and he'll pull the strings or a similar cliche.
And Paraguay with Mr Overrated himself Santa Cruz will probably join them.
I look forward to us getting thrashed, when your second best player is so bad he can't even start for a team as bad as Celtic, it's a sad indictment of how bad you are. This will probably be our last appearance for a while too, with Fifa hoping to make it more difficult to qualify.

I think Brazil and Portugal for Group G. Brazil being one of the favourites and Portugal being quite good, they keep possesion well, which should be enough for them to beat the Ivory Coast.

Group H, Span and Chile. Chile managed to finish top of the South American qualifying group ahead of Brazil and Argentina, so they're better that most would think.

I think it's a toss up between Spain and Brazil as to who will win, I think Spain are quite a bit better attacking, but Brazil's defense has got them to where they are. If Jesus Navas can get over his homesickness and Dunga plays Gilberto Silva as he is want to do, I think Spain will win, otherwise who knows.

Group G is the definite group of death for me. England should qualify from their group but already the press are getting carried away. England rarely get past the quarter-finals of major tournaments yet the press keep heaping the pressure on every single time. I have no idea who will win it, the thing with international tournaments is that it's all about hitting form over those seven games (or at least once you reach the second Round), and it's hard to predict who will do that this far in advance.

All I do know is that I can't wait for it to start!

- Stickied -

Just plainly because I'm sure people won't want to search for this next year. :monster:

I know for sure that Brazil are going to get through like they always do, but I'm hoping England get through. Our team's doing well under Fabio Capello, probably one of the best managers we've had in years.

England will walk that Group even with a second string team we would easily beat USA, Slovenia have beaten USA recently so am more worried about that, as for algeria we have never played them so don't know what to expect from them, Bougherra plays for them though :)

Am debating whether to put £20 On Brazil or Spain, One of them will win it for sure,

I'd put it on Spain out of the two, to me Brazil don't look that good, they only managed to be our 2nd if not 3rd string team 1-0 which shows a lot. All being said, I still think we (England) have a good chance if we keep our team fit. We just need to find consistency in choosing the goalkeeper and to stop making defences mistakes that seems to be occurring thing. To me, we potentially have the best midfield in the world when everyone pulls the strings, Lampard/Gerrard/Barry/Milner/Beckham are all lethal on their day and the fact we scored more goals than any other team in the qualifiers shows a lot for our strikers :monster:

I'd put it on Spain out of the two, to me Brazil don't look that good, they only managed to be our 2nd if not 3rd string team 1-0 which shows a lot. All being said, I still think we (England) have a good chance if we keep our team fit. We just need to find consistency in choosing the goalkeeper and to stop making defences mistakes that seems to be occurring thing. To me, we potentially have the best midfield in the world when everyone pulls the strings, Lampard/Gerrard/Barry/Milner/Beckham are all lethal on their day and the fact we scored more goals than any other team in the qualifiers shows a lot for our strikers :monster:
Hoho Gerrard and Lampard are nowhere near as good as Xavi or Iniesta. Plus there's Fabregas, Alonso and Silva and Navas, which is a ludicrously talented Midfield. And a pairing of Heskey and Rooney doesn't quite measure up to Villa and Torres.
And if Rio isn't fit, Terry and Cahill at the back? Or Jagielka.
Third favourites seems about right for England, which would be a semi place. Although in a one-off match Portugal, France, Italy or Argentina could beat England.

Portugal?! They're terrible lately, I couldn't see them beating England. And Argentina and France's chances are hamstrung by their having terrible managers. I'd say that teams like Brazil and Germany would have a better chance against England.

Portugal?! They're terrible lately, I couldn't see them beating England. And Argentina and France's chances are hamstrung by their having terrible managers. I'd say that teams like Brazil and Germany would have a better chance against England.
I don't think Portugal would win, just they could win, Portugal aren't as bad as their form would suggest, they keep possession well and beat Bosnia-Herzegovina who finished above Turkey and Belgium. Maradona could actually put together a decent Argentina team between now and the World Cup, but any team with Heinze playing does not have a wealth of defensive talents. But with Higuain, Aguero, Messi and Tevez, they've got enough very talented offensive players to beat anyone.
I don't think Germany have a good enough team to beat England.

Germany are good at punching above their weight though - and if it goes to penalties, well there'd only be one winner surely! XD

Like a true Englishman, I'm being overly optimistic and predicting a semi final place. Even if that's all we manage, Fabio Capello will have achieved a lot given our performances in tournaments over the last few years. The majority of English players are currently in decent form, so hopefully that will carry through to the Summer. I hope that before then, Capello decides to make the big decision and drop Frank Lampard. He's good, but still can't play with Gerrard who is better still I think.

Like a true Englishman, I'm being overly optimistic and predicting a semi final place. Even if that's all we manage, Fabio Capello will have achieved a lot given our performances in tournaments over the last few years. The majority of English players are currently in decent form, so hopefully that will carry through to the Summer. I hope that before then, Capello decides to make the big decision and drop Frank Lampard. He's good, but still can't play with Gerrard who is better still I think.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Gerrard IS better than Lampard. I think Lampard's losing his touch a little, unfortunately. There seems to be a great chance for England to win this thing because we've got one of the best teams in YEARS. I believe Capello can really lead the team forward because, I'm sure I've said this before, he's the best manager we've had for ages.

A semi final place seems predictable, too. We just need to keep being constant to get there yet. I haven't watched any of the qualifiers, so I'm not sure who's going good, bad or whatnot. I only watch the England ones myself.

To be honest any player who isn't performing well when it comes to the World Cup should simply, not be taken, regardless of how "big" they are - whether it be Gerrard, Lampard or anyone else. The thing with the Lampard-Gerrard thing is that they're 2 completely different players, Lampard's an attacking midfielder who plays as part of world class team so he's never going to look "outstanding", on the other hand Gerrard's predominately a defensive midfielder who just so happens to be good at going forward, yet he's always going to look better than everyone else because apart from their best player by a country mile, Torres, everyone else in Liverpool is mediocre at best. I'm not saying one's better than the other, they just play completely different roles which is why the whole "they can't play together" is bullshit. Put them under a top quality manager who knows how to play tactical football and they'd be fine.

All being said, Capello won't drop big named players because that means Gerrard would certainly be out of the team because, since they've been knocked out of the Champions League and Carling Cup as well as 7th in the league from what I've read Gerrard doesn't even look interested anymore and even been class as "not fit to wear the shirt".

Either way, Ferdinand better be dropped. Most overrated defender in the Premiership. (y)

The problem with Lampard and Gerrard is that they're the same kind of player, so they cancel each other out. If they were opposites then they'd compliment each other perfectly and we'd have one of the best midfields in the international game. Which is why Gareth Barry would play excellently with Gerrard. We still need a left winger to finish it though. I'm a fan of Ashley Young for that spot.

Agreed on the Rio Ferdinand thing though, but tbh there aren't that many English centre backs playing that well at the minute. Lescott hasn't lived up to expectations, Upson isn't the player he used to be and Cahill just isn't the player people say he is.

Back