South Africa 2010

Ryan said:
The thing with the Lampard-Gerrard thing is that they're 2 completely different players,

JSR said:
The problem with Lampard and Gerrard is that they're the same kind of player,

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary........ 'Come again?'

Agreed on the Rio Ferdinand thing though, but tbh there aren't that many English centre backs playing that well at the minute. Lescott hasn't lived up to expectations, Upson isn't the player he used to be and Cahill just isn't the player people say he is.
Yeah, I was discussing this with someone this morning and we seem to have a lack of quality centre backs. I never really saw him last season but Jagielka was supposed to have put in some good performances?

[/color][/font]

[/color]

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary........ 'Come again?'

It depends how they play, if Gerrard is played as a defensive midfielder which he has done quite a lot he should be fine with Lampard but he seems to have been played up front or just behind Torres (certainly last season) I dunno about this season, which then would occupy Lampard's space.

I think it's his role as the Liverpool captain, with Torres injured and Alonso gone he's pretty much had to control the whole midfield rather than one particular position D:

Jagielka is usually a solid performer, but I haven't actually heard that much of him this season. He could be injured for all I know, but we need someone who's playing well week in, week out. John Terry is still one of the finest central defenders in the Premiership though, I think.

Gerrard is much better at going forward than Lampard. Gerrard has a much better eye for a pass and is generally more creative. We have other players who can sit back and hold the midfield, so he's the obvious choice in my eye.

Neither of them are natural Central Midfielders unlike Paul Scholes.
I think Gerrard is more a box to box player than a defensive midfielder, sure he'll go back and win the ball, but he's better attacking. When Liverpool were doing so well last year he was playing just behind Torres.

And you're both obviously wrong about Rio:monster:
Him and Vidic were the main reason for Van Der Sar's record.

The problem with Lampard and Gerrard is that they're the same kind of player, so they cancel each other out. If they were opposites then they'd compliment each other perfectly and we'd have one of the best midfields in the international game. Which is why Gareth Barry would play excellently with Gerrard. We still need a left winger to finish it though. I'm a fan of Ashley Young for that spot.
If Hargreaves is fit, he should be picked ahead of Barry.
I also think Joe Cole will probably start ahead of Ashley Young.

I think on the Gerrard/Lampard partnership it'll depend on who England are playing. Against teams like Spain, Brazil etc etc, Lampard should be dropped in favour of Hargreaves who can sit infront of the back four and Gerrard will be go forward.

Jagielka is usually a solid performer, but I haven't actually heard that much of him this season. He could be injured for all I know, but we need someone who's playing well week in, week out. John Terry is still one of the finest central defenders in the Premiership though, I think.

Gerrard is much better at going forward than Lampard. Gerrard has a much better eye for a pass and is generally more creative. We have other players who can sit back and hold the midfield, so he's the obvious choice in my eye.

Yeah he has been out since last April with cruciate ligament we miss him a lot as well as arteta there were rumours of arteta retiring because of the injury don't think he will though he will be out for another couple of months think jagielka is back early next month,

Everton used a interesting formation against arsenal with Cahill and Donovan playing attacking midfielder roles and saha up front on his own and it worked well hopefully moyes sticks to that formation donovan looks like a good loan signing so far

Apparently, David Beckham is quitting football for good after the World Cup. Or at least that's what The Sun reported in today's paper. I don't care for him much, but I think it'd be a good way to end his career.

I saw him play for Milan against Juve which was a terrible game, full of has beens. He was one of them, if he were included he'd be second choice for RM so if anything happened to Lennon some 34 year old would come in and take a touch or two or three and deliver in a nice cross, however he'd have to pass the ball away as quickly as possible.

Beckham is pure quality even now i watched the game against juventus as well his Cross to Ronnie was Amazing for one of the goals

Hope he doesn't quit but i suppose he is going to have to quit sometime i like italian football the players stay on there for years it's great to see Buffon Del Piero Trezeguet Camoranesi for juventus and Seedorf Gattuso Inzaghi etc for milan still playing

Admittedly I haven't seen Beckham play for a while but I hope he at least manages to get 11 more caps for England so he surpass Shilton as England's highest capped player. I'd like to see him feature quite a bit against Man Utd in the Champion's League though since Man Utd have a fairly young squad so I'm curious to see how he'd cope. I have to agree he'd probably be 2nd choice though and maybe just thrown on to deliver in a few crosses to put the other team under pressure, I doubt he has the legs to be running up and down the touchline for 90 mins anymore.

As for him quitting, I don't think he will, Sky News has him down as saying the reports of him quitting "as nonsense". Though, 99% of The Sun is utter shite anyway so I'm not surprised it's a false story (once again).

Beckham's still very good on the ball, but he has no pace he is a liability for England. He fits in quite well in Serie A because it's a slower and far more technical league than the premier league. Evra will slaughter him in the CL.
He can play well if he's given the time, but against good teams that will pressure him he's just not good enough anymore.

Beckham won't even be fit for the World Cup, seeing as how he tore his Achilles Tendon. The only reason this bothers me is because if England are in the finals with one penalty kick left to win it all, nobody else on the bench will take that shot. Several other players won't be fit for the World Cup squad for England, which saddens me. Of course, Rooney has been on fire lately and Gerrard is Gerrard. So, they have that.

^

Gerrard has been awful this year. But still, as you say Gerrard is Gerrard. I think a team with both Gerrard and Rooney in it is capable of beating ANY team. I'm not saying England are favourites, but we have the ability to beat any team in those two. Lampard is the one on fire at the moment, so lets hope he can keep it up.

Just to half-hijack the thread, what lineup would you guys pick if you were England manager? I'd go with...

.........................................Joe Hart.........................................

Glen Johnson......Rio Ferdinand........John Terry.......Ashley Cole (hopefully)

James Milner........ Frank Lampard......Michael Carrick......... Joe Cole

..........................Steven Gerrard
............................................Wayne Rooney

I like Gerrard playing in the hole behind the front man. It worked great for us when he played behind Torres, and dragged us all the way to second in the Premiership last year.

If I were English I'd not pick Gerrard, but since he would have to picked, LM, as that is where Capello usually plays him.
I also think Heskey has to start, England scored more goals in qualifying than anyone else.
I also think Joe Cole shouldn't be there either. Aaron Lennon was in great form when he played and is the only quick player that should be in the team based on form, i.e. not Theo Walcott. Given that Aaron Lennon would be RM, there'd be no need for Glen Johnson, so Stephen Warnock or Leighton Baines at RB.

-----------------------James

Warnock---------Ferdinand-------Terry-----------Cole

Lennon----------Barry----------Lampard--------Gerrard

------------------------Rooney

--------------------------------Heskey

Im still waiting for this to come,i hope Italy takes the world cup again,go Italy! you have your own countries to go for,wish them luck too.

The England squad is looking a little different at the moment. Gareth Barry is likely to miss the first game at least, Hargreaves is rumoured to be the replacement. The Guardian's sports section was tipping Carragher for a grand return to the England squad. Rooney limped out of United's last game of the season today with a groin problem. He -should- be ok, touch wood.

Positives - Lennon looked good today even though Spurs lost. Milner is awesome. Crouch proves time and again that he can score in big games. Ashley Cole looks fit enough to play well come June 11th.

I guess Torres being out is a good thing, but I support Liverpool, so I have a soft spot for Spain. I'd like to see him do well, but it's looking like he could miss the start of the World Cup too.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

I can see him dropping Barry, Heskey and probably either Leighton Baines or Stephen Warnock from that. Possibly Rio Ferdinand, if he can't prove his fitness too. I hope Scott Parker doesn't make the final 23 either; I've never rated him highly. Adam Johnson will be too much of a risk to take, although he is a quality left-winger, but hopefully we can rely solely on James Milner to play there. One of Lennon, Walcott and Wright-Phillips will probably be dropped too. most likely Wright-Phillips.

Less than a month to go now, and I can't wait.

The Dоctor;732275 said:
I can see him dropping Barry, Heskey and probably either Leighton Baines or Stephen Warnock from that. Possibly Rio Ferdinand, if he can't prove his fitness too. I hope Scott Parker doesn't make the final 23 either; I've never rated him highly. Adam Johnson will be too much of a risk to take, although he is a quality left-winger, but hopefully we can rely solely on James Milner to play there. One of Lennon, Walcott and Wright-Phillips will probably be dropped too. most likely Wright-Phillips.

Less than a month to go now, and I can't wait.

Heskey will remain, unless he gets injured. Same with Barry. Them two are favourites of Cappello so I would expect them to stay in the 23. I wouldn't presume Cappello will try to change with the formation with the tournament just round the corner, so he'll stick with Green, Johnson, Rio, Terry, Cole, Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Heskey and Rooney if possible.

I do think Lennon and Crouch should be in the first XI (I'm not a Spurs fan, just in case), but Cappello is a tough manager who has his own way.

I guess Torres being out is a good thing, but I support Liverpool, so I have a soft spot for Spain. I'd like to see him do well, but it's looking like he could miss the start of the World Cup too.
They've still got David Villa, who is a goal scoring machine, and David Silva and Jesus Navas, both of whom are magnificient.

I can see him dropping Barry, Heskey and probably either Leighton Baines or Stephen Warnock from that.
Dropping Heskey but not desperately average Darren Bent?
Heskey's the only player capable of holding the ball up and creating time and space for Wayne Rooney. Peter Crouch isn't that type of player despite him being a billion feet tall.

However the might New Zealand have all the players necessary to smash Italy and the two other countries.

Heskey will remain, unless he gets injured. Same with Barry. Them two are favourites of Cappello so I would expect them to stay in the 23. I wouldn't presume Cappello will try to change with the formation with the tournament just round the corner, so he'll stick with Green, Johnson, Rio, Terry, Cole, Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Heskey and Rooney if possible.

I do think Lennon and Crouch should be in the first XI (I'm not a Spurs fan, just in case), but Cappello is a tough manager who has his own way.
Barry and Ferdinand have to prove their fitness. I don't think he'll make the same mistake Sven did when he took and injured Rooney to Germany. I'd really like to see Joe Hart get the no. 1 shirt, but it might be a bit of a risk to throw him straight in.
I'm also hoping Ledley King gets dropped. He's confessed himself that he physically can't play more than one game a week, so it's a waste to include him.

They've still got David Villa, who is a goal scoring machine, and David Silva and Jesus Navas, both of whom are magnificient.

Dropping Heskey but not desperately average Darren Bent?
Heskey's the only player capable of holding the ball up and creating time and space for Wayne Rooney. Peter Crouch isn't that type of player despite him being a billion feet tall.

However the might New Zealand have all the players necessary to smash Italy and the two other countries.
That's what I like about Emile Heskey, but he finished the season quite poorly, and Bent has had a steadily decent one. I'd like to see Heskey go over Bent but I can't see it happening.

Heskey's been poor throughout the season, not even getting into the Villa team in fact, yet Cappello still starts him. He obviously trusts the big guy, so I wouldn't expect him to get dropped all of a sudden. He'll go with Heskey and Rooney as first choice, with Crouch and Defoe as backup respectively, meaning Bent missing out would be the obvious decision.

What do you guys think of the selections of the other national teams? There are so many surprise leftovers, namely Zanetti and Cambiasso (Argentina), Nasri and Benzema (France), Pato (Brazil)... I understand all of them haven't been at their best (barring Zanetti, he never has a bad game), but don't you think Nasri for example deserves to be in the 30-man squad for France?

Back