South Africa 2010

I was really surprised by Zanetti and Cambiasso, they've both been in really good form. Cambiasso has been excellent in the Champions League this season.
Nasri was a shock too, but not Benzema. He's had a poor season for Real Madrid and I think he needs to get out if he wants to revive his international career.
As for Pato I'm not sure. I heard he's had a lot of problems at international level and never really performs that well for them, which is exactly the reason Adriano was dropped for this year and I think Dunga made an excellent choice with that. The same goes for Ronaldinho, who has been pretty average for a few years now.

Raymond Domenech just becomes more of a clown with each tournament, I don't know how he's still got the job. He didn't even give Vieira a phone call about his snubbing apparently, despite the comments made by Domenech about Vieira going to the World Cup if he can prove his match-fitness. I don't think Vieira's good enough now, but to completely ignore him is quite bizarre.

just found this article on goal.com about a 23-man squad with snubbed players. Quite a team I have to say:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wo...21500/world-cup-2010-the-23-man-rejects-squad

and yeah, I agree about Dunga. He's a very strong coach, and picks the same tried and trusted players. He doesn't care what the Brazilian media thinks.

Christ, he's even ignored Sebastian Frey?! He's probably the best keeper France have. Other than Ruud van Nistelrooy, I can't say I'm surprised by any of the strikers. Cassano and Kuranyi are two of the most overrated strikers in the world, and Totti isn't the player he once was.

I think Nasri is one of Arsenal's better players, and should get in ahead of Cisse. But it's got to be Gourcuff in the Midfield.

Pato is in the Brazil team, I think you mean Ronaldinho. It's a wee bit odd that he's been left out with Kaka being in bad form and just coming back from injury. But at Milan he didn't have enough pace to be effective out wild, and when he played up front he only looked a threat in the box.

Zanetti can't possibly be worse than Heinze, and I Gabriel Milito should be in there too. There defence is quite bad really. If they had Lucio I think they'd be a far better team.

I'd have liked to have seen Cassano play for Italy, especially with Samp potentially qualifying for the Champion's League

Edit: I'm sure that I saw that Pato was playing for Brazil.

Grafite and Baptista ahead of Ronaldinho and Pato is just confusing to say the least. When was the last time Baptista played for Roma anyway?

I'm sure Dunga has his reasons and Brazil will still be huge favourites with Spain.

I think the biggest issue with including Heskey is his poor international game track record during major tournaments, he seems to have a very bad habit of tackling poorly at the worst possible moment giving away pointless penalties. He's a strong player in the fact that he can hold the ball, but I reckon we are better off relying on playmakers to increase the goal scoring opportunities than having someone that may hold a ball well, but has a terrible habit of hamming it up where it counts.

Can't wait for it to start. I'm not sure who to tip as a possible winner at the moment. International tournaments are always hard to predict, people set too much store by qualifying/friendly form, but in the end it's all about who hits form over those seven games (and you don't even need to be that spectacular in the group stage, as Italy's World Cup wins in 1982 and 2006 proved). My rundown of the main contenders:

Spain - obvious favourites, but favourites can sometimes trip up in the World Cup (France in 2002 and Brazil in 1998/2006). Should go far, but I think they'll fall just short.

Brazil - more pragmatic than the Brazil sides of 1970 or 1982/86, they seem to be more along the lines of the Brazil sides in 1994 and 2002. They both won the World Cup, and I think Brazil have another good chance. Defence is always key in the tournament.

Italy - can't see them retaining it, not sure they can recapture the magic of 2006. They're always erratic in tournaments.

Germany - probably not enough quality to win it, but they're amazingly consistent (they've only once failed to make the last eight, and that was back in 1938). And you don't want to get into a penalty shootout with them! Their main problem is a very tough group to get through first.

England - if everything clicks, no reason why they can't win it. But that never seems to happen, and they seem weak in the goalkeeping area. Quarter-finals or semi-finals I think.

Argentina - crazy coach, who possibly hampers the outrageous talent they have. I think their best chance was in 2006.

France - even worse coach, and they don't have their talisman Zidane this time. I hesitate to write a team off, but I think I will risk it here.

Netherlands - a bit of an unknown quanitity for me, both their coach and team. A bit like England and Spain (prior to 2008) they are the worst offenders for flattering to deceive, so I'm wary of how well they might do. Could go either way.

Portugal - I think their star is on the wane, their best chances at a tournament were in 2004 and 2006. I think they may go out in the group stage, behind Brazil and Ivory Coast.

As for dark horses, maybe Ivory Coast (but they have a nasty group), Ghana or even Serbia, USA and Denmark. Not saying any of those would win it, but the World Cup often has a surprise semi-finalist (Belgium in 1986, Bulgaria in 1994, Croatia in 1998, South Korea and Turkey in 2002) and all those teams are pretty decent.

I think the biggest issue with including Heskey is his poor international game track record during major tournaments, he seems to have a very bad habit of tackling poorly at the worst possible moment giving away pointless penalties. He's a strong player in the fact that he can hold the ball, but I reckon we are better off relying on playmakers to increase the goal scoring opportunities than having someone that may hold a ball well, but has a terrible habit of hamming it up where it counts.
What playmakers? Aaron Lennon is the only creative player England have. I don't see how Heskey will be giving away a lot of penalties as he's playing up front. Gerrard isn't the greatest tackler ever, and nor is John Terry (insert Wayne Bridge Girlfriend joke here). I don't think Heskey's lack of form/game time will count against him, he's not in the team to score goals.

Grafite and Baptista ahead of Ronaldinho and Pato is just confusing to say the least
If he's having Fabiano and Nilmar as his two strikers, then Ronaldinho would have to play AM and there he gets in Kaka's way like he did at Milan. And perhaps with Maicon or Alves at RB Dunga decided he didn't need the width that Pato would give him. Though I agree leaving Pato out still seems odd.

As for dark horses, maybe Ivory Coast (but they have a nasty group), Ghana or even Serbia, USA and Denmark. Not saying any of those would win it, but the World Cup often has a surprise semi-finalist (Belgium in 1986, Bulgaria in 1994, Croatia in 1998, South Korea and Turkey in 2002) and all those teams are pretty decent.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Denmark didn't make it out of our group. Sure we played a good qualification, but I fear that coach Morten Olsen's sentiment for and reliance upon players who are way past their prime, will be our undoing.

Former Fiorentina skipper Martin Joergensen has been dreadful since returning to AGF in Denmark and Ajax Amsterdam's Dennis Rommedahl has been beyond awful in most of our qualification games (yet is still in the starting 11). There's also the mystery that he choose to field aging striker Jon Dahl Thomasson in front of Nicklas Bendtner when it's obvious that Thomasson no longer has the physique to play as a lone striker.

IMO, England need Heskey and I like how Capello is sticking to his guns by keeping him in the squad. People I speak to and the media continually moan about his inclusion and often want to replace him with Defoe. It's typical... people don't realise that Heskey has an important job (holding up the ball, bringing people into play and getting his head on the ball) that he can do well. I wouldn't say Lennon is the only creative player but I don't think England have a playmaker with the level of skill required.

I don't see them doing all that well anyway. There's a lot of hype around this World Cup but I think (and hope... Auld Enemy and all that) they're going to do pretty averagely. You never know but I think the competition is too strong. I have a drink on them not winning the Cup as well. :ryan:

Cappello to consider 3-5-2 if Barry fails to recover:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

strange how one injury will change the entire team. Does Fabio not trust Carrick or Huddlestone for the holding midfielder role? I personally don't think this will be a good idea, none of the centre backs have played in a back 3 regularly and lack pace, and the last time England played 3-5-2, well you know what happened.

Why on earth would Capello choose to test a new formation weeks before the kick off of the World Cup? England needs some continuety to truly force the issue this time round. If they change their formation they might lose out on top spot in the group to the USA (conquerors of Spain in the Confed Cup).

Carragher? Good God. I'd rather play Sol Campbell. Sol might be one paced but at least he knows what he's doing most of the time. Liverpool finished 7th Capello, do the maths for crying out loud, the mediocrity of their players finally showed through this season.

As for Brazil's selection, no Diego? :sad3: I don't like it when we play Ramires he does absolutely nothing and was abysmal in the Confed Cup. We don't have a left back either which has now become a huge worry for me. There was talk in Brazil of throwing in Roberto Carlos to fill the gap and I have to say he has regained a lot of what was missing these past few years.. but I'd prefer Maxwell of Barcelona.

I fully understand Ronaldinho's omision. A player who thinks he's too important to represent Brazil in friendlies? A player who barely trains and is unbothered? No thanks, I'd rather not deprive another player who's worked hard to gain Brazil a spot at the WC their position in the team. I like Ronaldinho, it's just a shame he had to fall off...

Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso were other notable possibilities that failied to make the final team and I reckon Ganso could have been a suitable Kaka replacement.

Good to see Elano called up for Brazil. The guy was hot and cold for City but he's consistently immense for Brazil.

As for Brazil's selection, no Diego? :sad3: I don't like it when we play Ramires he does absolutely nothing and was abysmal in the Confed Cup. We don't have a left back either which has now become a huge worry for me. There was talk in Brazil of throwing in Roberto Carlos to fill the gap and I have to say he has regained a lot of what was missing these past few years.. but I'd prefer Maxwell of Barcelona.

I fully understand Ronaldinho's omision. A player who thinks he's too important to represent Brazil in friendlies? A player who barely trains and is unbothered? No thanks, I'd rather not deprive another player who's worked hard to gain Brazil a spot at the WC their position in the team. I like Ronaldinho, it's just a shame he had to fall off...

Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso were other notable possibilities that failied to make the final team and I reckon Ganso could have been a suitable Kaka replacement.

I think Maxwell is injured anyway, so its Bastos or Gilberto (oh dear....) for LB.

Neymar and Paulo Henrique are too young I think, plus they were on the bench of Santos only a year ago so this WC might be too early. There's enough playmakers with Kaka, Elano and arguably Robinho, who is world-class for Brazil.

I really would like to see both Maicon and Alves on the right-side of Brazil, can't stand to see one of them on the bench. When Alves came on for Josue (I think) at the Copa America final v Argentina I thought Brazil became absolutely immense, even without Kaka.

I think Maxwell is injured anyway, so its Bastos or Gilberto (oh dear....) for LB.

Neymar and Paulo Henrique are too young I think, plus they were on the bench of Santos only a year ago so this WC might be too early. There's enough playmakers with Kaka, Elano and arguably Robinho, who is world-class for Brazil.

I really would like to see both Maicon and Alves on the right-side of Brazil, can't stand to see one of them on the bench. When Alves came on for Josue (I think) at the Copa America final v Argentina I thought Brazil became absolutely immense, even without Kaka.

In fairness Ganso's 22 so I feel he's due a run in the senior side but I can fully understand leaving him out so close to the WC. The preliminary games should really feature the same XI who have played a long time together.

I don't think we have enough playmakers on the pitch to be honest, Dani Alves at right midfield would be great but Dunga prefers to use him as a late game sub, probably just in case Maicon needs switching out.

It's a shame about Maxwell, Michel Bastos plays left winger for Lyon :gonk:

Cappello to consider 3-5-2 if Barry fails to recover:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

strange how one injury will change the entire team. Does Fabio not trust Carrick or Huddlestone for the holding midfielder role? I personally don't think this will be a good idea, none of the centre backs have played in a back 3 regularly and lack pace, and the last time England played 3-5-2, well you know what happened.
I've said for years that we should play 3-5-2 with Carrick as a holding midfielder, so I'd quite like to see it put into action. I'm not sure about Huddlestone in that role though, I don't think he could cope with the pressure it would bring.

The Dоctor;733502 said:
I've said for years that we should play 3-5-2 with Carrick as a holding midfielder, so I'd quite like to see it put into action. I'm not sure about Huddlestone in that role though, I don't think he could cope with the pressure it would bring.

I said it years ago, as a solution to the England left midfield problem. Ashley Cole as more of a wing back type player would have been perfect. I don't know how well the players would adapt to playing in a 3-5-2 though, seeing as pretty much every single player in the team don't play it for their clubs. As it has already been said, now isn't the time to be messing around with formations. Look what happened last time we changed to 3-5-2.

I'm in the anti-Heskey camp, personally. I'd have picked Agbonlahor over him. I'm not sure he'll make the final 23 though. Rooney, Defoe, Bent and Crouch are all pretty much guaranteed in my opinion.

I don't like the omission of Ashley Young either. I think he is as good as, if not better than Walcott. He can play either wing very well too, something that I think Wright-Phillips and Lennon can't.

I said it years ago, as a solution to the England left midfield problem. Ashley Cole as more of a wing back type player would have been perfect. I don't know how well the players would adapt to playing in a 3-5-2 though, seeing as pretty much every single player in the team don't play it for their clubs. As it has already been said, now isn't the time to be messing around with formations. Look what happened last time we changed to 3-5-2.
A 3-5-2 doesn't have 5 across the midfield it has 3 and then two behind them. If ashley cole plays in on the left then there's no place for Steven Gerrard. If Barry isn't fit who plays in the centre of midfield with Lampard? Ideally it has to be someone dynamic enough to win the ball, which kind of rules out Carrick.

I'm in the anti-Heskey camp, personally. I'd have picked Agbonlahor over him. I'm not sure he'll make the final 23 though. Rooney, Defoe, Bent and Crouch are all pretty much guaranteed in my opinion.
Darren Bent should be nowhere near any team that wants to get passed the quater finals, he's not good enough. Agbonlahor doesn't give you anything Walcott doesn't. England scored more goals than any other team in Europe qualifying with Heskey in the starting XI.
I'd have Carlton Cole as back up for Heskey and would drop Defoe and Crouch.

It's a shame about Maxwell, Michel Bastos plays left winger for Lyon
Has Alves been tried at LB? Or would that unbalance the team? Maxwell hasn't impressed me once at Barca, he looks quite avrage most of the time.

A 3-5-2 doesn't have 5 across the midfield it has 3 and then two behind them. If ashley cole plays in on the left then there's no place for Steven Gerrard. If Barry isn't fit who plays in the centre of midfield with Lampard? Ideally it has to be someone dynamic enough to win the ball, which kind of rules out Carrick.

All 3-5-2s are like that are they? I've seen them as four across the middle and one behind the strikers too.

Besides, I'd rather see Gerrard up front with Rooney. Last time he played off a world class striker at the top of his game, he dragged our overachieving arses to second in the table.

Back